Exploring the Absolute HOMO: Spectroscopy & Beyond

In summary: UV-vis spectroscopy but measures the energy of photoelectrons rather than photons. In summary, the absolute highest occupied molecular orbital is the highest energy level of an occupied molecular orbital in a molecule. It can potentially be determined using spectroscopy, such as UV-vis or photoemission spectroscopy. However, due to potential mixing with other transitions, it may not always be accurately measured. Alternatively, cyclicvoltammetry can be used to determine the HOMO-LUMO gap if the molecule can survive the process. The term "absolute" refers to the opposite of relative and does not necessarily mean completely accurate.
Chemmjr18
What exactly is the absolute highest occupied molecular orbital? I think, as the name suggests, it's the absolute highest occupied molecular orbital in a molecule. Could it be determined using spectroscopy? Maybe, depending on the type. You could use UV-Vis if the energy gap between the HOMO and LUMO is in the UV range, but I'm not exactly sure how you'd do this (i.e., what model you'd use). Maybe from the max wavelength on the UV-Vis spectrum. On the other hand, the word "absolute" is throwing me off because I'm not sure that as scientist we can determine the absolute of anything! Sure, we can make some highly accurate approximations but absolute measurement?! I'm not so sure. I'm working on an assignment that asks about absolute energy levels. Any help is appreciated. By the way, I'm not looking for someone to give me an answer, just help guide my thinking.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I've never heard of it Perhaps it is talking about the absolute energy of HOMO?

HAYAO said:
I've never heard of it Perhaps it is talking about the absolute energy of HOMO?
Yes. I think it means the absolute energy...

You will not be able to determine HOMO, LUMO, or HOMO-LUMO gap energy from UV-vis. Absorption spectroscopy measures transition energy, not HOMO-LUMO energy although they are indeed closely related. However, there is no guarantee that the lowest energy observed in UV-vis corresponds to a transition from HOMO to LUMO. It could be mixed with transition between other MOs. Also transition energy includes Coulomb energy and exchange energy along with HOMO-LUMO gap.

If you want to determine HOMO-LUMO gap, you might want to try cyclicvoltammetry instead (if the molecule can survive). If the absolute energy of the redox potential of a reference electrode is known (for example Ferrocene), then in principle, you should be able to know the absolute energy of HOMO and LUMO as well.EDIT: Just so you know, the term "absolute" does not mean "completely accurate". It is a word used to mean the opposite of "relative".

Likes Chemmjr18
HAYAO said:
You will not be able to determine HOMO, LUMO, or HOMO-LUMO gap energy from UV-vis. Absorption spectroscopy measures transition energy, not HOMO-LUMO energy although they are indeed closely related. However, there is no guarantee that the lowest energy observed in UV-vis corresponds to a transition from HOMO to LUMO. It could be mixed with transition between other MOs. Also transition energy includes Coulomb energy and exchange energy along with HOMO-LUMO gap.

If you want to determine HOMO-LUMO gap, you might want to try cyclicvoltammetry instead (if the molecule can survive). If the absolute energy of the redox potential of a reference electrode is known (for example Ferrocene), then in principle, you should be able to know the absolute energy of HOMO and LUMO as well.EDIT: Just so you know, the term "absolute" does not mean "completely accurate". It is a word used to mean the opposite of "relative".
Wow! This was a really great answer. Thanks!

One thing I must tell you that might have been misleading.

HAYAO said:
...there is no guarantee that the lowest energy observed in UV-vis corresponds to a transition from HOMO to LUMO. It could be mixed with transition between other MOs...

When I said "mixed" it does not mean that there are two absorption bands that are overlapped in the spectra. It literally means that the transition itself is mixed with another transition. This is because configuration interaction mixes states of same symmetry. For example, the lowest transition of Benzene has contribution from two separate B2u excited states.

1. What is the Absolute HOMO?

The Absolute HOMO (Highest Occupied Molecular Orbital) is the highest energy orbital in a molecule that contains electrons. It is an important concept in chemistry and spectroscopy as it helps determine the reactivity and stability of a molecule.

2. How is the Absolute HOMO determined in spectroscopy?

The Absolute HOMO can be determined through various spectroscopic techniques such as UV-Vis, infrared, and nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy. These techniques measure the energy levels of electrons in a molecule, and the highest energy level corresponds to the Absolute HOMO.

3. What is the significance of exploring the Absolute HOMO?

Exploring the Absolute HOMO allows us to understand the electronic structure and properties of molecules. It can also provide information about the reactivity and stability of a molecule, which is important in fields such as organic chemistry and drug design.

4. How does the Absolute HOMO relate to the LUMO?

The LUMO (Lowest Unoccupied Molecular Orbital) is the lowest energy orbital in a molecule that does not contain electrons. The energy difference between the Absolute HOMO and LUMO, known as the HOMO-LUMO gap, is a key factor in determining the electronic properties of a molecule.

5. Can the Absolute HOMO be modified?

Yes, the Absolute HOMO can be modified through chemical reactions or by changing the molecular structure. Modifying the Absolute HOMO can alter the reactivity and properties of a molecule, making it a valuable tool in chemical synthesis and material design.