Exploring the Construction of RICH Detectors

In summary, the conversation discusses RICH detectors and their construction, specifically focusing on the use of spherical and planar mirrors in determining the angle of Cherenkov light. The conversation concludes that the use of spherical mirrors is necessary for proper angle measurement, as it allows for a clear and precise ring signal. Without these mirrors, the angle measurement becomes more difficult and can lead to a messy and less accurate result. While the use of mirrors may introduce some systematic errors, it also makes it easier to detect the light signal, which is the primary goal in these types of detectors.
ChrisVer
Gold Member
I have some question about RICH detectors (in particular HERA-B RICH) and why are they constructed in such a way...I think all the RICH detectors though use the same construction that "confuses" me.
In their case the particle of some unknown velocity ##\beta## enters the gas of known refractive index ##n## and generates Cherenkov radiation at an angle given by ## \cos \theta_c= \frac{1}{\beta n}## . Knowing the angle and the ##n## we can determine the velocity ##\beta##.

However I don't understand how the spherical and planar mirrors help in determining the ##\theta_c##. (I wouldn't use spherical mirrors). One could say that they are used for focusing the light, but I don't understand why I should focus the light instead of measuring it directly and finding its ring radius instead of the "focused" one.

Physics news on Phys.org
How else would you measure the angle of light?

There are only really 3 types of Cherenkov detector:

1. Threshold detectors, which just tell you whether or not there's Cherenkov light at all

2. Differential detectors, which use collimation to only accept light at a certain angle.

3. RICH detectors, which can measure a range of angles.

This ray diagram may help explain why the spherical mirror is necessary for a RICH. Consider the yellow horizontal line to be the trajectory of your particle. The beige rays are the Cherenkov light being emitted at constant angle. The circular mirror focuses the rays to 2 points. The vertical displacement of these points (i.e. the radius of the ring) depends on the angle of the light. The horizontal distance is fixed and depends on the mirror's curvature (this is where you put your photodetector plane).

Now generalise this to 3D and you see how a spherical mirror will turn a cone of light into a ring. Planar mirrors are used to allow the photodetector plane to be placed somewhere sensible, i.e. not in the path of the charged particles

Screenshot from 2015-05-07 22:24:56.png

Last edited:
wouldn't you measure the angle just by putting your detector at the spherical mirror's position? I mean you would get a ring signal at the same time, the light of which comes from the same point where it was emitted (see the figure, instead of reflecting the rays, detecting them)

I'm not sure I understand what you're suggesting. Something like Super-K will get rings without any optics because the particle slows down rather quickly in a relatively highly absorbing medium. The cone of Cherenkov light is only emitted for a short distance.

This is undesirable with a detector at a collider or fixed-target experiment because you usually want the particles to make it to a calorimeter after passing relatively 'unscathed' through the RICH. As such, the photons from each track will fall within a solid circle. You typically get maybe ~20 photons per track, and multiple tracks, so it's not like you can reconstruct these solid circles.

The detectors are not sensitive to the direction of incoming light, and their time-resolution is not good enough to calculate it either.
Without spherical mirrors and with a large medium for Cherenkov light, you would get a solid disk (well, several isolated photons within a solid disk). And finding the radius of the solid disk (the outer photons correspond to the earlierst emissions) is much much harder as you ruin your statistics.

So it's more like you need them for particles that are allowed to travel in the medium for very short times?
I didn't know... I thought that inserting mirrors is like enhancing your systematic errors.

ChrisVer said:
So it's more like you need them for particles that are allowed to travel in the medium for very short times?
I don't understand that question.

With a spherical mirror every photon hits the ring, which allows a proper angle measurement (every photon contributes to it). Without a spherical mirror and with a large detector you get a mess without a clear angle measurement.

ChrisVer said:
I thought that inserting mirrors is like enhancing your systematic errors.

Maybe it does, but it also puts the light where it is easier to detect. If you don't have a good signal, you tend not to worry about systematics.

1. What is the purpose of a RICH detector?

A RICH (Ring Imaging Cherenkov) detector is used in particle physics experiments to identify and measure the properties of high energy particles. It utilizes the Cherenkov effect, where particles traveling faster than the speed of light in a medium emit light, to determine the velocity and mass of these particles.

2. How do RICH detectors work?

RICH detectors consist of a gas or liquid radiator, a photon detector, and a focusing optical system. High energy particles passing through the radiator produce Cherenkov radiation, which is then focused onto the photon detector. The number and angle of the detected photons can be used to calculate the velocity and mass of the particle.

3. What are some advantages of using RICH detectors?

RICH detectors have a high efficiency in detecting particles, especially at high energies. They also have a high degree of accuracy in measuring particle properties, making them useful for identifying rare particles and performing precision measurements.

4. What materials are commonly used in RICH detectors?

The choice of radiator material depends on the type of particle being detected and the desired energy range. Some common materials include gases like C4F10 and CF4, and liquids like C6F14 and C5F12. Photon detectors can be made of materials like photomultiplier tubes or silicon photomultipliers.

5. How are RICH detectors used in current research?

RICH detectors are used in a variety of particle physics experiments, including those at the Large Hadron Collider and the Belle II experiment. They are also used in astrophysics experiments to study cosmic rays and in medical imaging techniques such as positron emission tomography (PET).