Exploring the Correlation and Independence of Two Random Variables

• Thread starter archaic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Joint
In summary, the two random variables are not independent. The correlation between them is strong, so the relation is close to linear.
archaic
Homework Statement
##X_1## represents the number of clients in a queue, and ##X_2## the same, but is faster (the queue). (see figure for the pmf)
1) What's the probability that:
a) both queues are empty?
b) both queues are of the same length?
c) the total number of customers in the two queues is 4?
d) the faster line has more than 1 customer, given that the other is empty?

2) Find the correlation between ##X_1## and ##X_2##. Comment on the existence and strength of linear relation between ##X_1##and ##X_2##.

3) Are the two random variables independent? Why?
Relevant Equations
n/a
1.PNG

$$ \begin{array}{lllll}X_1&0&1&2&3\\f_{X_1}&0.4&0.3&0.25&0.05\end{array}\,|\,\begin{array}{llllll}X_2&0&1&2&3&4\\f_{X_2}&0.05&0.2&0.25&0.2&0.3\end{array}$$
1a) ##p=0.05##
1b) ##p=0.05+0.05+0+0=0.1##
1c) ##p=0.05+0.05+0+0=0.1##
1d) ##p=0.1+0.05+0.05=0.2##

2) ##\mu_{X_1}=0\times0.4+1\times0.3+2\times0.25+3\times0.05=0.95##
##\sigma^2_{X_1}=0^2\times0.4+1^2\times0.3+2^2\times0.25+3^2\times0.05-0.95^2= 0.8475 ##

##\mu_{X_2}=0\times0.05+1\times0.2+2\times0.25+3\times0.2+4\times0.3=2.5##
##\sigma^2_{X_2}=0^2\times0.05+1^2\times0.2+2^2\times0.25+3^2\times0.2+4^2\times0.3-2.5^2=1.55##

##\mathrm E[X_1X_2]=1\times1\times0.05+1\times2\times0.15+1\times3\times0.05+1\times4\times0.05+2\times3\times0.1+2\times4\times0.15+3\times4\times0.05=3.1##
##\mathrm{cov}(X_1,X_2)=E[X_1X_2]-\mu_{X_1}\mu_{X_2}=3.1-0.95\times2.5=0.725##
##\rho_{X_1X_2}=\frac{\mathrm{cov}(X_1,X_2)}{\sigma_{X_1}\sigma_{X_2}}=\frac{0.725}{\sqrt{0.8475\times1.55}}=0.632560842248##

Since ##\rho_{X_1X_2}>0.5##, the two random variables are strongly correlated.
The probability for a fixed ##X_1## increases then decreases as ##X_2## varies, so there doesn't seem to exist a linear relationship between the two variables. Correct?

3) They are not independent because ##f_{X_1X_2}(0,0)=0.05\neq f_{X_1}(0)f_{X_2}(0)=0.02##
Anything amiss? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
1 looks good to me. I didn't check all the numbers for your correlation calculation but the final result seems reasonable. About the linear relation I think you missed the point. Suppose we have random variables Y and Z, where ##Z=Y\pm 1##. Then for a fixed Y, the probability of various Z's will increase then decrease as you scan the table, but Y and Z are clearly linearly related.

I agree with your answer for 3, it might be worth giving a real life description of why they are not independent.

Likes archaic
Office_Shredder said:
1 looks good to me. I didn't check all the numbers for your correlation calculation but the final result seems reasonable. About the linear relation I think you missed the point. Suppose we have random variables Y and Z, where ##Z=Y\pm 1##. Then for a fixed Y, the probability of various Z's will increase then decrease as you scan the table, but Y and Z are clearly linearly related.

I agree with your answer for 3, it might be worth giving a real life description of why they are not independent.
Thank you!
Right, here the correlation is strong, so the relation is close to linear, and is positive, so as one RV increases, the other also tends to increase.
It also makes sense given the scenario. As the slower queue is filled, people will want to go to the faster one in order to kind of balance the waiting time (this also serves as an answer to your last sentence); if it is possible to join X2, then one would do it. However, one would not go to X2 if it is somewhat filled and X1 is reasonably less so.

I would think the right way to measure linearity is to find the a, b, c that minimises ##\Sigma_{i,j} p_{i,j}(aX_i+bY_j+c)^2## and then look at the ##R^2## value. But maybe that's overkill here.

Further to post #3, I realized I needed to fix c as nonzero. I chose 1.
This led to the best fit being ##0.0842X_1-0.354X_2+1=0##, giving ##R^2=0.195##, which seems reasonably linear.
Note that this is a symmetric fit. If you want to predict X1 from X2 or v.v. the best fit will be a bit different, and differ from each other.

• Love
Likes archaic
I forgot to divide by ##f_{X_1}(0)## in d). :/

1. What is the definition of correlation between two random variables?

The correlation between two random variables is a measure of the strength and direction of their relationship. It is a statistical measure that ranges from -1 to 1, where -1 indicates a perfect negative correlation, 0 indicates no correlation, and 1 indicates a perfect positive correlation.

2. How is correlation calculated between two random variables?

Correlation is calculated using a formula that takes into account the values of the two variables and their standard deviations. The most commonly used formula is Pearson's correlation coefficient, which is calculated by dividing the covariance of the two variables by the product of their standard deviations.

3. What is the difference between correlation and independence of two random variables?

Correlation measures the strength and direction of the relationship between two variables, while independence refers to the absence of any relationship between the variables. In other words, two variables can have a strong correlation but still be independent, or they can have no correlation but be dependent on each other.

4. How can we determine if two random variables are independent?

To determine if two random variables are independent, we can calculate their covariance and compare it to their individual variances. If the covariance is equal to 0, then the variables are independent. Additionally, we can also plot the variables on a scatter plot and visually inspect for any patterns or trends.

5. Why is it important to explore the correlation and independence of two random variables?

Exploring the correlation and independence of two random variables allows us to better understand the relationship between the variables and make more informed decisions. It also helps us to identify any potential confounding factors or biases that may affect our results. Additionally, understanding these concepts is crucial in many fields such as economics, social sciences, and data analysis.