Exploring the Fabric of Space: A Philosophical Inquiry

In summary, the current consensus in modern cosmology is that space is just a framework in which things happen and has no substance.
icantevenn
I am a student of philosophy but I think philosophy is not capable of answering this. My question is, what is our current understanding of the fabric of space? Einstein understood it as a structure in which events happened. Can you suggest papers/books that deal with this? Really appreciate your help.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
The consensus in modern cosmology is that there is no "fabric" of space. Space is just a framework in which things happen. It has no substance. It is just geometry. The choice of the word "fabric" by Einstein and then others, was very unfortunate as it leads to much confusion. A fabric and be stretched but space cannot; things (outside of bound systems) just get farther apart

Likes Mohd Abdullah and icantevenn
phinds said:
The consensus in modern cosmology is that there is no "fabric" of space. Space is just a framework in which things happen. It has no substance. It is just geometry. The choice of the word "fabric" by Einstein and then others, was very unfortunate as it leads to much confusion. A fabric and be stretched but space cannot; things (outside of bound systems) just get farther apart
Are there any books specifically dealing with this topic?

That one I can't answer, although most any fundamental text on cosmology should cover it. Perhaps one of our members can recommend something specific.

Yes, I like Sean Carroll's lecture notes on general relativity. There are also the standard textbooks like MTWs Gravitation.

Likes icantevenn
phinds said:

So, philosopically speaking, the "absolute nothing" that the philosophers keep talking about is actually space. Right?

I don't think even the philosophers know what they are talking about. Which is why we don't discuss philosophy here.

Likes Mark44
Agreed, thread closed.

1. What is the "fabric of space"?

The "fabric of space" refers to the concept that space is not just an empty void, but rather a dynamic and interconnected structure that is affected by the presence of matter and energy.

2. How is exploring the fabric of space related to philosophy?

Exploring the fabric of space involves questioning the fundamental nature of reality and our place in the universe, which are key topics in philosophy. By examining the fabric of space, we can gain a deeper understanding of the nature of existence and our role in the cosmos.

3. What methods are used to explore the fabric of space?

Scientists use a variety of methods to explore the fabric of space, including mathematical models, observational data from telescopes and satellites, and experiments with particle accelerators. These methods allow us to study the behavior of matter and energy in space and make predictions about the nature of the universe.

4. What are some current theories about the fabric of space?

Some current theories about the fabric of space include general relativity, which describes how matter and energy interact with space and time, and quantum mechanics, which explains the behavior of subatomic particles. There are also ongoing debates and research about the role of dark matter and dark energy in shaping the fabric of space.

5. How does understanding the fabric of space impact our daily lives?

While understanding the fabric of space may not have a direct impact on our daily lives, it has led to many technological advancements such as GPS and satellite communications. Additionally, exploring the fabric of space can inspire curiosity and wonder, and help us gain a deeper appreciation for the vastness and complexity of the universe.