Exploring the Impact of Video Games on Dream Flying Experiences

In summary, many young people who are into video games find themselves flying in their dreams more than people from my generation do.
berkeman
Mentor
I haven't played many video games beyond the early Pong games in undergrad and some Flight Simulators after I graduated. But my kids and grandkids are definitely part of the video game generation, and after watching some of those games and some advertisements today on TV that had the players jumping and flying through their challenges, I'm wondering if young folks who are so into these video games also find themselves flying in their dreams more than folks from my generation do.

I feel lucky that I've experienced flying in my dreams for many years. I think it started mostly because I'm a scuba/skin diver, and have always felt like I'm flying when under water. That manifested in my dreams like flying as if I had "anti-gravity fins" on my feet and hands, which let me smoothly gain flight at times.

But with so many young folks playing video games with non-physical movements/motions of the players, I wondered if that might lead to more of them enjoying flying in their dreams. I'll ask our kids and grandkids about it when I get a chance, but in the mean time I did some Google searching and surprisingly found some good hits right away...

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32674062/

https://www.livescience.com/6521-video-gamers-control-dreams-study-suggests.html

Last edited:
Likes Klystron and sysprog
Biology news on Phys.org
"Control?" Wasn't much older than 10-12 when I started "putting pillows" in impact areas of "falling" dreams, rolling to face the wall in fighting dreams, don't recall the last time I had "flying" dreams, but still return on regular basis to "the Nam" in "real time" on my nth tour, no control.

Likes Klystron, sysprog and berkeman
Bystander said:
but still return on regular basis to "the Nam" in "real time" on my nth tour,
Thank you for your service sir. :bow:

Likes hutchphd and pbuk
berkeman said:
Thank you for your service sir. :bow:
You are quite welcome.

Likes hutchphd and berkeman

1. What is the purpose of studying the impact of video games on dream flying experiences?

The purpose of this study is to understand the potential influence of video games on our dreams, specifically in regards to flying experiences. By exploring this topic, we can gain insight into the relationship between video games and our subconscious mind and potentially find ways to enhance or control our dreams.

2. How do video games impact our dreams and flying experiences?

It is believed that video games can have a significant impact on our dreams and flying experiences. Playing video games can stimulate our visual and motor skills, which can carry over into our dreams. Additionally, the content of the video game, such as flying or adventure-based games, can influence the themes and experiences in our dreams.

3. Is there a difference in dream flying experiences between frequent gamers and non-gamers?

Some studies have shown that frequent gamers may have more vivid and intense dream flying experiences compared to non-gamers. This could be due to the increased exposure to visually stimulating content and the development of spatial awareness and motor skills through gaming.

4. Can video games be used as a tool to induce lucid dreaming and control flying experiences?

There is some evidence to suggest that video games can be used as a tool to induce lucid dreaming and control flying experiences. By playing video games that involve flying, individuals may become more familiar with the sensation and be able to recognize it in their dreams, leading to lucid dreaming and the ability to control their flying experiences.

5. Are there any potential negative effects of video games on dream flying experiences?

While there is no concrete evidence, some experts suggest that excessive exposure to video games may lead to an overstimulation of the brain, resulting in disrupted sleep patterns and potentially negative effects on dream flying experiences. It is important to maintain a balance and limit screen time before bed to ensure quality sleep and dream experiences.