Exploring the Inönü-Wigner Contraction of Poincaré $\oplus$ $\mathfrak{u}$(1)

In summary, the Inönü-Wigner contraction of Poincaré \oplus \mathfrak{u}(1) involves redefining the generator $\tilde{M}$ and applying it to the 10-dimensional Poincaré algebra.
Jason Bennett
Homework Statement
Poincaré [itex]\oplus[/itex] [itex]\mathfrak{u}[/itex](1)
Relevant Equations
Poincaré [itex]\oplus[/itex] [itex]\mathfrak{u}[/itex](1)
Please see https://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/552410/inönü-wigner-contraction-of-poincaré-oplus-mathfraku1Inönü-Wigner contraction of Poincaré [itex]\oplus[/itex] [itex]\mathfrak{u}[/itex](1)

Metric = (-+++), complex $i$'s are ignored.

1589965210581.png
1589965229008.png

The centrally extended Galilei algebra is the Bargmann algebra.

One cannot go straight from Poincaré to Bargmann though

1589965252438.png

I am trying to work out the new contraction C ' so that the following diagram commutes
1589965276250.png
where after making those redefinitions and taking the limit c to infinity, I get

1589965304324.png

1589965432240.png

The correct answer is given in the following reference

E. Bergshoeff, J. Gomis, and P. Salgado-Rebolledo, “Non-relativistic limits and three-dimensional coadjoint Poincare gravity,” arXiv:2001.11790[hep-th].
1589965581460.png

My confused lies in where I implement this redefinition of tilde M$. I was under the impression that this trivial extension of Poincaré did not alter the algebra. Since tilde M is in the center, it commutes with all the normal Poincaré generators and doesn't add any information.

1589965648198.png

This is clearly false. The algebra is 11-dimensional now after all, not 10-dimensional.

Can anyone give me some instruction on how I implement the redefinition

\tilde{M} \rightarrow -Mc^2 + \frac{1}{2} H

in the Poincaré [itex]\oplus[/itex] [itex]\mathfrak{u}[/itex](1) Lie algebra?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The answer is that the redefinition should be applied to the Poincaré \oplus \mathfrak{u}(1) Lie algebra, which can be written as:P_a, M_{ab}, J_a, H, \tilde{M}. The generator $\tilde{M}$ is then replaced with the new generator $-Mc^2 + \frac{1}{2} H$.

1. What is the Inönü-Wigner contraction of Poincaré $\oplus$ $\mathfrak{u}$(1)?

The Inönü-Wigner contraction is a mathematical concept that describes the limiting behavior of a group as one of its parameters approaches a certain value. In the case of Poincaré $\oplus$ $\mathfrak{u}$(1), the group is a combination of the Poincaré group (which describes the symmetries of space and time) and the $\mathfrak{u}$(1) group (which describes the symmetries of a circle). The contraction describes what happens to this group when the radius of the circle approaches zero, resulting in a simpler group known as the Galilei group.

2. How is the Inönü-Wigner contraction used in physics?

The Inönü-Wigner contraction is used in physics to study the behavior of physical systems as certain parameters change. It allows us to understand the connections between different symmetries and how they may change in different limits. In particular, it has been used in the study of quantum field theory and the behavior of particles at high energies.

3. What is the significance of the Inönü-Wigner contraction?

The Inönü-Wigner contraction is significant because it helps us understand the underlying structure of physical systems and the connections between different symmetries. It also allows us to make predictions about the behavior of systems in different limits, which can be useful for experimental and theoretical purposes.

4. Can you give an example of the Inönü-Wigner contraction in action?

One example of the Inönü-Wigner contraction is in the study of the hydrogen atom. The symmetries of the hydrogen atom can be described by the Poincaré $\oplus$ $\mathfrak{u}$(1) group. However, in the limit of high energies (when the electron is moving at speeds close to the speed of light), the radius of the atom becomes negligible and the group contracts to the simpler Galilei group. This allows us to make predictions about the behavior of the atom at high energies.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the Inönü-Wigner contraction?

Yes, the Inönü-Wigner contraction has many real-world applications in physics and engineering. It is used in the study of particle physics, quantum field theory, and the behavior of systems at high energies. It has also been applied in the development of new technologies, such as quantum computing and high-energy particle accelerators.