Velocity dependence of operators in Inonu-Wigner contraction

In summary, Weinberg's QFT volume 1 discusses the Inonu-Wigner contraction, which reduces the Poincaré group to the Euclidean one in the low velocity limit. While analyzing the operators' dependence on velocity, some are easily understood (W ~ mv^2, P ~ mv, M ~ m), while others are not (J ~ 1 and K ~ 1/v). The explanation for J's lower order of magnitude compared to P is due to J being a vector quantity, while P is a scalar. As for K, its relation to velocities of reference frames explains why it increases in effect as one frame's velocity approaches zero.
hideelo
I'm reading Weinberg's QFT volume 1. At the end of section 2.4 he is deriving the Inonu-Wigner contraction where he reduces the Poincaré group to the Euclidean one by taking the low velocity limit. In analyzing how the operators depend on velocity there are some I understand and some I don't.

I understand why W ~ mv^2, P ~ mv, M ~ m. I don't understand why J ~ 1, why isn't it on the same order as P? They both have linear velocity dependence. Also why is K ~ 1/v that means that for smaller velocity the effect gets bigger. I would expect that in the limit of small velocity, boosts just aren't a thing.

Physics news on Phys.org
The answer to the first part of your question is that J (the angular momentum operator) is a vector quantity, while P (the linear momentum operator) is a scalar quantity. Therefore, J has a higher order of magnitude than P, because the components of J need to be multiplied together in order to obtain the magnitude of the vector.The answer to the second part of your question is that K (the boost operator) is related to the velocities of two reference frames with respect to one another. As the velocity of one frame approaches zero, the velocity of the other frame must increase in order to maintain a constant relative velocity. Therefore, as the velocity of one frame approaches zero, the effect of the boost operator increases.

What is the Inonu-Wigner contraction?

The Inonu-Wigner contraction is a mathematical concept that relates to the behavior of physical operators as the speed of a system approaches the speed of light. It was first proposed by E. Inonu and E. P. Wigner in the 1950s.

What is the significance of the Inonu-Wigner contraction?

The Inonu-Wigner contraction is significant because it helps us understand how physical quantities and operators behave at high velocities. It also has applications in relativistic quantum mechanics and the study of high-energy particles.

How does the Inonu-Wigner contraction affect operators?

The Inonu-Wigner contraction affects operators by changing their form and properties as the velocity of a system approaches the speed of light. This can result in non-intuitive behavior and has important implications for understanding physical systems at high velocities.

What are some examples of the Inonu-Wigner contraction?

One example of the Inonu-Wigner contraction is the Lorentz transformation, which describes how space and time coordinates change as an object moves at high velocities. Another example is the Dirac equation, which describes the behavior of relativistic particles such as electrons.

How is the Inonu-Wigner contraction related to special relativity?

The Inonu-Wigner contraction is closely related to special relativity, which is the theory of space and time at high velocities. It helps us understand how physical laws and quantities change as we approach the speed of light, and is an important concept in the study of relativistic systems.