Exploring the Packing Efficiency of Trans and Cis Isomers in Crystal Structures

• Thread starter kenny1999
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Model
In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between trans and cis isomers, specifically in terms of their melting points. While trans-isomers have a higher melting point due to their symmetry and efficient packing, the concept is still not fully understood. The conversation also mentions the use of 3D models, such as those found on the Cis-trans isomerism wiki page, to better understand this concept. However, it is noted that there may be exceptions to this rule in certain crystal structures.
kenny1999
Trans and Cis isomer model??

Hello It's my first time here. I absolutely "know" that trans-isomer has a higher melting point than that of cis-isomer because it is more "symmetric" than cis-isomer and can pack more "efficiently"

However, I only "know" the fact but I don't "understand". I wish to understand this. I have been searching for a good model to explain how it can pack better than "cis-isomer" on google but I hardly find any, I hope someone will introduce me some good models (best with 3D) to show this because I hope to understand rather than memorizing it. Thanks

Thank you

Kenny

Chemistry news on Phys.org

If you look at the Cis-trans isomerism wiki page, note the bottom 2 pictures on the right side, of oleic acid and elaidic acid.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cis–trans_isomerism

Oleic acid, because of the cis C=C bond, doesn't stack neatly with other oleic acid molecules because of its bent shape, while elaidic, because it's completely flat, does stack neatly, like bricks. You have to think about how they lay against each other and how hindered they are.

As the OP requested, it would be better with 3-D models of the crystal structures. It is not that obvious, I am not that persuaded, that |||| stacks any better than <<<< .

I'd hazard not a prediction but a guess that in the crystal both might fit staggered by half a molecule. Then the polar groups could be farther apart. And that there might be some exceptions to this rule.

1. What is the difference between trans and cis isomers?

The main difference between trans and cis isomers is the arrangement of atoms around a double bond. In trans isomers, the functional groups are on opposite sides of the double bond, while in cis isomers, they are on the same side.

2. How do trans and cis isomers affect the properties of a molecule?

The arrangement of atoms in trans and cis isomers can greatly impact the physical and chemical properties of a molecule. For example, trans isomers tend to have higher melting and boiling points compared to their cis counterparts.

3. What are some common examples of trans and cis isomers?

Some common examples of trans isomers include trans-2-butene and trans-1,2-dichloroethylene. Examples of cis isomers include cis-2-butene and cis-1,2-dichloroethylene.

4. How can you determine if a molecule is a trans or cis isomer?

The arrangement of atoms in a molecule can be determined by using techniques such as nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy or X-ray crystallography. These methods can provide information about the spatial orientation of atoms in a molecule, allowing for the identification of trans and cis isomers.

5. Are trans and cis isomers important in biological systems?

Yes, trans and cis isomers play important roles in biological systems. For example, the cis isomer of retinal is responsible for the vision process, while the trans isomer of unsaturated fatty acids is essential for maintaining cell membrane structure and function.