Exploring the Physics of Fermi Level in Metals

In summary, the conversation discusses the equality of Fermi energy levels in metallic substances at a constant temperature and what happens if two bulks of metal with different Fermi levels are fused together. It is mentioned that electrons will flow between the metals until an equilibrium is reached, but there may be a "contact potential" similar to a PN junction. This effect is utilized in the Kelvin Probe technique for measuring contact potential and Fermi energy in metals. It is also noted that the conduction band and insulation band overlap in metals, allowing for free movement of electrons.
Assaf Peled
Hi, a question please:

Do all metallic substances have an equal Fermi energy level (at a constant T) ?
If not, what will happen (before equilibrium) if one "fuses" together two bulks of metal with different Fermi
levels (as in a PN junction) ?

Since there's an abundance of energy states available around the Fermi level in metals, I would consequently expect electrons to flow between the bulks until an equilibrium is reached. On the other hand, I sense a hole in my little theory here.

Many thanks.

A.

Physics news on Phys.org
No, they don't. Electrons will indeed be transferred between the two metals. See Peltier effect.

Assaf Peled said:
Hi, a question please:

Do all metallic substances have an equal Fermi energy level (at a constant T) ?
If not, what will happen (before equilibrium) if one "fuses" together two bulks of metal with different Fermi
levels (as in a PN junction) ?

Since there's an abundance of energy states available around the Fermi level in metals, I would consequently expect electrons to flow between the bulks until an equilibrium is reached. On the other hand, I sense a hole in my little theory here.

Many thanks.

A.

There's something called a "contact potential" when such metals are in contact with each other, very much similar to a PN junction as you suspected.

This effect is made use of in the Kelvin Probe technique of measuring contact potential and Fermi energy in metals.

Zz.

nasu said:
No, they don't. Electrons will indeed be transferred between the two metals. See Peltier effect.
To be more explicit, the conduction band and insulation band overlap for two metals allowing for electrons to move freely in a metal.

1. What is the Fermi level in metals?

The Fermi level is a measure of the energy of the highest occupied state in a metal at absolute zero temperature. It represents the maximum energy that an electron in a metal can have, and all electrons below this energy level are considered to be filled.

2. How does the Fermi level affect the properties of metals?

The Fermi level plays a crucial role in determining the electrical and thermal conductivity, as well as the magnetic and optical properties of metals. It also affects the ability of metals to conduct heat and electricity, and their response to external electric and magnetic fields.

3. What factors affect the position of the Fermi level in a metal?

The Fermi level in a metal is influenced by the number of electrons present, the type and nature of the metal's crystal structure, and the temperature. It can also be affected by the presence of impurities or defects in the metal.

4. How is the Fermi level experimentally determined?

The Fermi level can be measured using various experimental techniques, such as photoelectron spectroscopy, scanning tunneling microscopy, and Hall effect measurements. These methods allow for the determination of the energy of electrons in a metal and their distribution around the Fermi level.

5. What are some practical applications of understanding the Fermi level in metals?

Understanding the Fermi level is essential in the development of new materials and technologies, such as semiconductors and superconductors. It also plays a crucial role in the design and optimization of electronic devices, such as transistors and solar cells.