Adjoint representation and spinor field valued in the Lie algebra

In summary, the adjoint representation is a mathematical concept used to describe the relationship between a Lie group and its associated Lie algebra. It provides a way to map elements of a Lie group to elements of its Lie algebra, and vice versa. This representation is particularly useful for studying the symmetries of physical systems. Additionally, spinor field valued in the Lie algebra is a mathematical object that describes the transformation properties of spinors under rotations. These spinor field representations are essential in many areas of physics, such as quantum mechanics and particle physics.
victorvmotti
I'm following the lecture notes by https://www.thphys.uni-heidelberg.de/~weigand/QFT2-14/SkriptQFT2.pdf.

On page 169, section 6.2 he is briefly touching on the non-abelian gauge symmetry in the SM.

The fundamental representation makes sense to me. For example, for ##SU(3)##, we define the object or column vector with three component, suppressing spinor indices, ##\psi(x)=(\psi_1, \psi_2, \psi_3)^T##. The fundamental representation, a ##3*3## matrix ##V(h)##, acts on this column vector, with each component itself a Dirac spinor that has 4 components of complex numbers. Lagrangian density then is showed to remain invariant when the ##\psi## is multiplied by the ##3*3## matrix ##V(h)##.

But the next step puzzles me a little, when we use the adjoint representation. Here instead of a 3 component column vector, we use a ##3*3## matrix ##\psi(x)##, whose elements ##\psi_{ij}(x)## are complex numbers based on the definition given in (6.32). It is a ##3*3## matrix or representation of the ##SU(3)## Lie algebra.

But when in (6.34) the Lagranian density is defined as ##tr(\bar{\psi}(i\gamma^\mu\partial_\mu-m)\psi)= \bar{ \psi_{ij}}(i\gamma^\mu\partial_\mu-m)\psi_{ji}##. Here ##\psi## is a ##3*3## matrix whose elements, ##\psi_{ji}##, are not complext numbers but Dirac spinors.

In another word, is this what we mean by the spinor indices are suppressed in the adjoint representation? How can we think of ##\psi(x)## both as a ##3*3## matrix with components to be both complex numbers as defined in (6.32) and Dirac spinors as used in (6.34) that have themselves four components, each a complex number.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm confused by this mixed use of complex numbers and Dirac spinors as components, and would be grateful if someone can give an explanation or a reference to an explanation.

1. What is the adjoint representation in Lie algebra?

The adjoint representation in Lie algebra is a map that associates each element of the Lie algebra with a linear transformation on the same algebra. This representation is important in studying the structure and properties of Lie algebras.

2. How is the adjoint representation related to the spinor field?

The adjoint representation is related to the spinor field through the concept of Clifford algebras. In this context, the spinor field is a representation of the Clifford algebra, and the adjoint representation is a map from the Lie algebra to the Clifford algebra.

3. What is the significance of the adjoint representation in physics?

The adjoint representation plays a crucial role in theoretical physics, particularly in the study of gauge theories and their symmetries. It allows for the construction of gauge-invariant quantities and helps in understanding the behavior of physical systems under transformations.

4. How is the adjoint representation different from the fundamental representation?

The adjoint representation and the fundamental representation are both ways of representing elements of a Lie algebra. However, the fundamental representation maps elements to matrices, while the adjoint representation maps elements to linear transformations on the same algebra.

5. Can the adjoint representation be extended to other Lie groups?

Yes, the adjoint representation can be extended to other Lie groups. In fact, it is a fundamental tool in the study of Lie groups and their representations. The adjoint representation can also be generalized to other mathematical structures, such as superalgebras and quantum groups.