Exploring the Resonant Frequency and Optimal Energy of Light Oscillations

In summary, different atoms and molecules have resonant frequencies of light, but there are no resonant frequencies of light in a vacuum. While there is theoretically no limit to the energy a photon can carry, there is a practical limit based on our current technology. Additionally, there is a limit on the photon energy due to interactions with the CMB, but this is not a concern for single photons traveling by themselves. This limit has not been experimentally probed due to its high practical reaches.
Rob Hoff
Is there a resonant frequency of light? I was just wondering because the higher the frequency of light, the higher the energy. Or is there an optimal frequency?

Physics news on Phys.org
Different atoms have different emission and absorption spectra, these are "resonant frequencies" of light for those atoms. Same for molecules. But there aren't any "resonant frequencies of light in a vacuum", which is what I think you're thinking of.

Is there a limit to how much energy a photon can carry? Let's be friends matterwave, my physics teacher would have a harder time answering this. No offense Mr Asmann.

Rob Hoff said:
Is there a limit to how much energy a photon can carry? Let's be friends matterwave, my physics teacher would have a harder time answering this. No offense Mr Asmann.

I hope I can butt into this budding friendship :-p:-p:-p:-p

There is theoretically no limit - but of course there is a practical limit depending on our level of technology.

Thanks
Bill

Rob Hoff said:

There is one "kind of" limit to the photon energy, but it's probably not really the kind of "limits" (absolute) in the sense that you are probably thinking.

If the photon becomes too energetic, it might interact with a photon in the CMB to produce a particle-anti-particle pair. The limits for this interaction is that the photon must carry more energy than the rest energy of the particle-anti-particle pair. But of course, for this interaction to matter, the cross sections must also be consulted. If the photon is only slightly more than 2MeV in energy (a gamma ray), for example, although it CAN produce a electron-positron pair, it probably won't due to the small cross section. The electron-positron pair can also annihilate each other and in that case you have basically a 4 gamma interaction with a fermion internal loop. This leads QED to become non-linear, and is called the Schwinger limit.

This limit does not exist for a single photon traveling by itself. The presence of the CMB photon is important because it gives rise to a center of momentum frame in which there is a minimum total energy, whereas a single photon may always be red shifted by the doppler effect until it has a lower energy.

The practical reaches of this limit is so high, I don't think it has been probed experimentally.

Thanks matterwave!

Related to Exploring the Resonant Frequency and Optimal Energy of Light Oscillations

1. What is resonant frequency?

Resonant frequency is the natural frequency at which an object or system vibrates or oscillates with the greatest amplitude when subjected to a periodic force or stimulus. In the case of light, it refers to the frequency of an electromagnetic wave that produces the strongest oscillations of the electric and magnetic fields.

2. How is resonant frequency related to light oscillations?

Light is an electromagnetic wave, and as such, it also has a resonant frequency. When light is incident on an object, the electric and magnetic fields of the light will interact with the electrons in the object, causing them to oscillate at their resonant frequency. This interaction is what allows us to measure the resonant frequency of light oscillations.

3. How is the optimal energy of light oscillations determined?

The optimal energy of light oscillations is determined by the resonant frequency of the system. This means that the optimal energy occurs when the frequency of the light matches the resonant frequency of the object it is interacting with. At this point, the energy transfer between the light and the object is most efficient.

4. What factors affect the resonant frequency and optimal energy of light oscillations?

The resonant frequency and optimal energy of light oscillations can be affected by several factors, including the material properties of the object, the shape and size of the object, and the intensity and polarization of the incident light. Additionally, environmental factors such as temperature and pressure can also have an impact.

5. What are the practical applications of exploring the resonant frequency and optimal energy of light oscillations?

Understanding the resonant frequency and optimal energy of light oscillations has many practical applications, including in the fields of optics, photonics, and nanotechnology. It can also be used in the design and optimization of optical devices such as lasers, sensors, and detectors. Additionally, this knowledge can aid in the development of new materials with specific resonant frequencies for targeted applications.