Exploring the Result of Jacobian Equality for PDEs

In summary, the author argues that because the Jacobian is null, we can conclude that the differential equations are not linear.
psholtz
I'm reading a text on PDEs..

I'm trying to follow some of the argument the author is presenting, but I'm having a bit of difficulty.

We start w/ a collection of p functions in n variables (with p <= n). That is to say, we have:

[tex]u_1, u_2, ..., u_p[/tex]

where

[tex]u_i : \mathbb{R}^n \rightarrow \mathbb{R} [/tex]

for all i, where [tex]1 <= i <= p[/tex].

We now take another function [tex]\Phi[/tex] in p variables, and we write:

[tex]\Phi(u_1,u_2,...,u_p) = 0[/tex]

Since [tex]\Phi[/tex] is ultimately a function in the n variables x(i), we can generate a set of p <= n (partial) differential equations by taking the derivatives of [tex]\Phi[/tex] with respect to p of the x(i). That is, we can write:

[tex]\frac{\partial \Phi}{\partial u_1} \cdot \frac{\partial u_1}{\partial x_1} + ... + \frac{\partial \Phi}{\partial u_p} \cdot \frac{\partial u_p}{\partial x_1} = 0[/tex]

[tex]...[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\partial \Phi}{\partial u_1} \cdot \frac{\partial u_1}{\partial x_p} + ... + \frac{\partial \Phi}{\partial u_p} \cdot \frac{\partial u_p}{\partial x_p} = 0[/tex]

So far, so good.. That much I follow.

Next, the author states simply that from this, we can conclude that the Jacobian is null, that is, we can conclude that:

[tex]\left| \begin{array}{ccc}
\frac{\partial u_1}{\partial x_1} & ... & \frac{\partial u_p}{\partial x_1} \\
& ... & \\
\frac{\partial u_1}{\partial x_p} & ... & \frac{\partial u_p}{\partial x_p} \end{array} \right| = 0[/tex]

That's the part I don't get.. How does he arrive at that result?

I can understand how, from the system of p PDEs given above, we can arrive at the linear system:

[tex]\left( \begin{array}{ccc}
\frac{\partial u_1}{\partial x_1} & ... & \frac{\partial u_p}{\partial x_1} \\
& ... & \\
\frac{\partial u_1}{\partial x_p} & ... & \frac{\partial u_p}{\partial x_p}
\end{array}
\right) \cdot
\left(\begin{array}{c} \frac{\partial \Phi}{\partial u_1} \\ ... \\ \frac{\partial \Phi}{\partial u_p} \end{array} \right) = \left(\begin{array}{c} 0 \\ ... \\ 0 \end{array} \right)[/tex]

But how do we get from there, to that the determinant of the linear system is zero?

Is this just some incredibly obvious, incredibly simple result from linear algebra that I'm forgetting?

I thought that if the determinant of a linear system is zero, that means the system is not invertible/solvable/etc..??

Physics news on Phys.org
Is the determinant being 0 indicating a linear dependency?

Ah yes, that makes sense! Thanks!

Related to Exploring the Result of Jacobian Equality for PDEs

1. What is Jacobian equality for PDEs?

Jacobian equality for PDEs is a mathematical concept that relates to the properties of solutions of partial differential equations (PDEs). It states that the Jacobian determinant of a transformation between two coordinate systems is equal to the ratio of the solution's magnitude in the new coordinate system to the magnitude in the original coordinate system.

2. Why is Jacobian equality important in PDEs?

Jacobian equality is important because it allows for the transformation of PDEs to different coordinate systems, making it easier to solve complex problems. It also helps in understanding the behavior of solutions to PDEs under different transformations.

3. How is Jacobian equality used in exploring PDE solutions?

Jacobian equality is used to analyze the properties of solutions to PDEs by transforming them to different coordinate systems. It helps in understanding the behavior of solutions, such as how they change under different transformations and how they depend on the choice of coordinate system.

4. What are the applications of Jacobian equality in PDEs?

Jacobian equality has various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. It is used in the study of fluid dynamics, heat transfer, and elasticity, among others. It also plays a crucial role in developing numerical methods for solving PDEs.

5. Are there any limitations to using Jacobian equality in PDEs?

Yes, there are limitations to using Jacobian equality in PDEs. It may not always be possible to find a transformation that simplifies the problem, and the transformation itself may introduce errors in the solution. Additionally, it is only applicable to certain types of PDEs and may not be useful for all problems.