Exploring the Role of Determinants in Orienting Scientific Research

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with a task and the use of the Laplace evolution theorem and determinant to calculate ##W_n##. The process involves forming a scalar product ##W_1 W_n##, but when reversing the process, the unit vectors disappear and cause a typo in the determinant. The mistake is noted and will be corrected.
Lambda96
Homework Statement
Show that the vector ##W_n## is orthogonal to all vectors ##w_j##
Relevant Equations
none
Hi,

unfortunately, I have problems with the task c

Bildschirmfoto 2023-05-10 um 15.01.52.png

I used the tip with the Laplace evolution theorem and rewrote the determinant to calculate ##W_n##. Then I simply formed the scalar product ##W_1 W_n## and here I get now no further.

Bildschirmfoto 2023-05-10 um 15.28.28.png

Physics news on Phys.org
I hope you can read my calculation well, otherwise I will upload the calculation again in a higher resolution

To get to this point, you expanded a determinant by its final column. What happens if you reverse that process after calculating the dot product?

Hint: Write [itex]\mathbf{w}_n = D_1\mathbf{e}_1 + \dots + D_{n}\mathbf{e}_{n}[/itex].

Last edited:
Likes Lambda96 and malawi_glenn
Thanks pasmith for your help and the tip

I have now calculated the scalar product with the ##\vec{W_1}##, so ##\vec{W_1} \cdot \vec{W_n}## Now if I reverse the process again, that is the Laplace expansion then the unit vectors ##\vec{e_i}## disappear due to the scalar product and the column with the unit vectors in the determinant is replaced by the vector ##\vec{W_1}##, so I get the following determinant.

$$det \left( \begin{array}{rrrrr}
W_1^1 & W_2^1 & \cdots & W_{n-1}^1 & W_1^1 \\
W_1^2 & W_2^2 & \cdots & W_{n-1}^2 & W_1^2 \\
\vdots & \vdots & \cdots & \vdots & \vdots \\
W_1^n & W_2^n & \cdots & W_{n-1}^n & W_1^n\\
\end{array}\right)$$

The first column now occurs twice, making the determinant zero.

This is a typo, right?
1683777409904.png

should be ##w_1^2##

You are right malawi_glenn, it is a spelling mistake, it should be ##W_1^2##, thanks for pointing it out, I will tell my lecturer so he can correct it :smile:

Likes malawi_glenn

1. What are determinants in scientific research?

Determinants in scientific research refer to the factors or variables that influence the direction and focus of scientific investigation. These can include societal, cultural, economic, political, and ethical factors that shape the questions scientists choose to pursue and the methods they use to answer them.

2. How do determinants impact scientific research?

Determinants play a crucial role in orienting scientific research by shaping the questions that scientists ask and the methods they use to answer them. They can also influence the availability of funding, the dissemination of research findings, and the application of scientific knowledge in society.

3. Can determinants be both positive and negative in scientific research?

Yes, determinants can have both positive and negative impacts on scientific research. Positive determinants, such as increased funding or supportive societal attitudes, can facilitate research progress and innovation. Negative determinants, such as political interference or limited resources, can hinder the advancement of scientific knowledge.

4. How can scientists address determinants in their research?

Scientists can address determinants in their research by being aware of their influence and actively considering them in the design and execution of their studies. This may involve collaborating with experts from different fields, engaging with stakeholders, and advocating for ethical and responsible research practices.

5. What are the potential implications of ignoring determinants in scientific research?

Ignoring determinants in scientific research can have significant implications, including biased research findings, limited societal impact, and missed opportunities for innovation. It can also lead to ethical concerns and undermine public trust in science. Therefore, it is essential for scientists to consider determinants in their work to ensure the integrity and relevance of their research.