Exploring Y-DNA Haplotypes: Genetic Similarity in Paternal Line Inheritance

• Thread starter esvion
  • Start date
  • Tags
    dna
In summary, as a male, you have a Y chromosome inherited from your father, which is passed down paternally. This means that you have a closer genetic connection to your great-great-great-great grandfather on your father's side than with any ancestors on your mother's or father's non-paternal line. However, the Y chromosome is small and has very little information compared to other chromosomes. It is also possible for your Y-DNA haplotype to have slightly different STR markers after two generations, but this is highly unlikely.
esvion
If I am to understand Y chromosome haplotypes correctly:

Let's say that I am male. I have an X chromosome from my mother and a Y chromosome from my father. Because the Y chromosome is passed directly through my father's paternal line, does that mean I have more in common genetically with my great-great-great-great grandfather on my father's side (in the paternal line) than I do with any great-great-great-great grandfather/grandmother on any other line of my mother's or my father's?non-paternal line? I am assuming that I have 50% of the same DNA as every ancestor in my father's line because we all inherited the same Y-Chromosome since the Y DNA haplotype was created.

Also, my grandfather had his DNA tested recently. Is there any chance that I can have slightly different STR markers that change my Y-DNA haplotype after two generations?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Biology news on Phys.org
Actually the only thing you have in common with the men on your fathers side is the Y chromosome. Its tiny in comparison with the other chromosomes and has very little information. All the other chromosomes are recombined (mixed between the mother and father) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recombination_(biology ) , the only reason the Y chromosome can be traced in such a straight line is because it doesn't have a partner to exchange genes with. The Y chromosome you share from your fathers line would only mean that there is a tiny fraction of 1% more paternal DNA within you.

Last edited by a moderator:
And yes it is possible that you might have different markers than your geneitic grand father. However I would bet every single thing on this planet I can lay claim to that you dont.

1. What are Y-DNA haplotypes?

Y-DNA haplotypes are a type of genetic marker found on the Y chromosome, which is passed down from father to son. They are used to trace paternal ancestry and can provide information about a person's genetic lineage.

2. How are Y-DNA haplotypes inherited?

Y-DNA haplotypes are inherited from a person's father. This means that sons will have the same Y-DNA haplotypes as their fathers, and these haplotypes can be traced back through multiple generations in a paternal lineage.

3. Can Y-DNA haplotypes be inherited by daughters?

No, Y-DNA haplotypes are only found on the Y chromosome, which is not present in females. Therefore, daughters cannot inherit Y-DNA haplotypes from their fathers.

4. How can I find out my Y-DNA haplotypes?

To find out your Y-DNA haplotypes, you can take a DNA test specifically for paternal ancestry, such as a Y-DNA test. This will provide you with a specific haplotype code that can be compared to others for genetic matches and ancestry tracing.

5. Can Y-DNA haplotypes change over time?

No, Y-DNA haplotypes are passed down almost unchanged from father to son. However, occasional mutations can occur, resulting in a slightly different haplotype. These mutations can be used to track the branching of paternal lineages over time.