Explosion and conservation of momentum problem

In summary, the problem involves a mass M breaking up explosively into two parts with a given kinetic energy E and leaving the point of explosion at angles theta and psi. The conservation laws that apply are momentum and energy. By using these laws, an equation can be derived to show that cos(psi) = 2/sqrt(5) when one of the halves emerges at theta = 90 degrees. To prove this, the initial and final momenta of the horizontal and vertical components must be calculated. Since the system increases by E, the total momentum equation can be converted into kinetic energy and E can be added. Finally, the condition for momentum conservation must be considered, which involves Newton's first law and the absence of external forces
Pochen Liu
Note: Please only give hints please! No answers because I want the satisfaction of solving it.

1. Homework Statement

A mass M at height h above flat round and falling vertically with velocity v breaks up explosively into 2 parts. The kinetic energy given to the system in the explosion is E. The 2 halves leave the point of explosions at angles theta and psi with respect to the downward vertical.

State the conservation laws that apply to the motion of the exploding system and neglecting any change in mass, write down the equations derived by application of these laws.

Consider the case that E = mv^2 and one of the halves emerges at theta = 90 degrees. Show that cos(psi) = 2/sqrt(5).

Homework Equations

How do I prove this?

The Attempt at a Solution

I have calculated the initial and final momentum of x and y-axis but I don't know how to prove it or utilise the kinetic energy part because I'm assuming it's part of the proof.

I don't know what way to prove it, and I don't know where the numerical aspect came from because this question is almost formula based.
https://scontent.fwlg1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t35.0-12/17373213_1049612521848826_812759978_o.jpg?oh=f29a20165ddd2d2f671c3f1d032e0744&oe=58CF94AC

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Pochen Liu said:
Note: Please only give hints please! No answers because I want the satisfaction of solving it.

1. Homework Statement

A mass M at height h above flat round and falling vertically with velocity v breaks up explosively into 2 parts. The kinetic energy given to the system in the explosion is E. The 2 halves leave the point of explosions at angles theta and psi with respect to the downward vertical.

State the conservation laws that apply to the motion of the exploding system and neglecting any change in mass, write down the equations derived by application of these laws.

Consider the case that E = mv^2 and one of the halves emerges at theta = 90 degrees. Show that cos(theta) = 2/sqrt(5).

Homework Equations

How do I prove this?

The Attempt at a Solution

I have calculated the initial and final momentum of x and y-axis but I don't know how to prove it or utilise the kinetic energy part because I'm assuming it's part of the proof.

I don't know what way to prove it, and I don't know where the numerical aspect came from because this question is almost formula based.
https://scontent.fwlg1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t35.0-12/17373213_1049612521848826_812759978_o.jpg?oh=f29a20165ddd2d2f671c3f1d032e0744&oe=58CF94AC

You have to state the conservation laws, valid for the system. If you say the momentum is conserved you are right, and it means that both components (horizontal and vertical) are conserved. What is the condition that the momentum conserves in a process?
What equation did you get in terms of θ and Ψ? Knowing that θ=90°, you should derive cos(Ψ) (not cos (θ) as you wrote).

The energy is not conserved in an explosion. The problem says it increases by E. Given also an angle, you have to derive a formula showing where the pieces hit the ground. Calculate the initial velocities just after the explosion. What kind of motion do the pieces perform?

Last edited:
Likes Pochen Liu
ehild said:
You have to state the conservation laws, valid for the system. If you say the momentum is conserved you are right, and it means that both components (horizontal and vertical) are conserved. What is the condition that the momentum conserves in a process?
What equation did you get in terms of θ and Ψ? Knowing that θ=90°, you should derive cos(Ψ) (not cos (θ) as you wrote).

The energy is not conserved in an explosion. The problem says it increases by E. Given also an angle, you have to derive a formula showing where the pieces hit the ground. Calculate the initial velocities just after the explosion. What kind of motion do the pieces perform?

I have derived the equation:
total momentum (-mv) = -m1v1 + 1/2(m2v2Sin(psi)) + 1/2(m2v2Cos(psi))

So if the system increases by E, do I convert the equation I have for the total momentum into kinetic energy and then add E?
And because theta is a 90 degree angle how can I use trig to put in an equation if that is the right angle and the angle I'm given because I can't determine which other sides are adjacent or opposite?
And what do you mean by "what is the condition that the momentum conserves in a process?"

Last edited:
Pochen Liu said:
I have derived the equation:
total momentum (-mv) = -m1v1 + 1/2(m2v2Sin(psi)) + 1/2(m2v2Cos(psi))
You have equations both for the vertical and horizontal components of the momenta. What are they? See picture.
upload_2017-3-18_7-27-8.png

Pochen Liu said:
So if the system increases by E, do I convert the equation I have for the total momentum into kinetic energy and then add E?
You need to get the momenta for both pieces, and determine the individual kinetic energies. Add them, and add E.
Pochen Liu said:
And what do you mean by "what is the condition that the momentum conserves in a process?"
What does Newton firs law state in terms of the momentum? Is the momentum conserved if an external force acts?

Last edited:
Likes Pochen Liu
ehild said:
You have equations both for the vertical and horizontal components of the momenta. What are they? See picture.
View attachment 114683

You need to get the momenta for both pieces, and determine the individual kinetic energies. Add them, and add E.

What does Newton firs law state in terms of the momentum? Is the momentum conserved if an external force acts?
Thank you! I've solved it :)

Pochen Liu said:
Thank you! I've solved it :)
Congratulation!:smile:

1. What is an explosion and conservation of momentum problem?

An explosion and conservation of momentum problem is a type of physics problem that involves studying the motion and conservation of momentum of objects involved in an explosion. It typically involves calculating the velocity and direction of objects before and after an explosion occurs.

2. How is momentum conserved in an explosion?

In an explosion, the total momentum of all objects involved remains the same before and after the explosion. This is known as the law of conservation of momentum. This means that the sum of the mass of all objects multiplied by their velocities before the explosion is equal to the sum of the mass of all objects multiplied by their velocities after the explosion.

3. What factors affect the conservation of momentum in an explosion?

The conservation of momentum in an explosion is affected by the mass and velocity of the objects involved. The larger the mass and velocity of an object, the greater its momentum will be. Therefore, the total momentum of all objects involved in an explosion will be affected by these factors.

4. How do you calculate the velocity of objects in an explosion?

To calculate the velocity of objects in an explosion, you can use the equation p = mv, where p is the momentum, m is the mass, and v is the velocity. By setting up and solving equations using this formula for each object involved, you can determine the velocity of each object before and after the explosion.

5. What real-life situations involve explosion and conservation of momentum problems?

Some real-life situations that involve explosion and conservation of momentum problems include fireworks displays, rocket launches, and car crashes. In these scenarios, the movement and momentum of objects involved in the explosion or collision can be analyzed using the principles of conservation of momentum.