Exponent Laws Practice: Simplifying Fractional Exponents

That's the fraction bar, not a minus sign.)In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving adding exponents with negative bases and finding the correct answer. The correct solution involves multiplying the numerator and denominator by the smallest power of 2, which in this case is 2^-6. This results in the fraction being simplified to 2^2 + 1 over 2^6.
Nelo

Homework Statement

2^-4 + 2^-6

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Ive tried several times, I do the reciprical of all numbers

ie) 1/2^4 + 1/2 ^6

Which gives me The wrong answer, cause i do the addiition first, finish all the powers and can't get the right answer. The book shows the next step to be...

2^2 + 1
________
2^6

Which i don't get

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't rewrite the expression with positive exponents. (You did it wrong, anyway.) Instead, multiply the numerator and denominator by 26.

wat..? Dont make them positive yet multiply them with a positive denom. ? I don't even understand how the person got to 2^6.

It would also be helpful if you can check your original problem for typos. Because the problem you state:
[tex]\frac{2^{-4} + 2^{-6}}{2^{-3}}[/tex]
does not equal the answer you state:
[tex]\frac{2^{2} + 1}{2^{6}}[/tex]
Nelo said:
wat..? Dont make them positive yet multiply them with a positive denom. ?
Sure, why not? If the original problem you stated was typed correctly, then I would multiply numerator by denominator by 26, because 2-6 is the smallest power of 2. 2-6 * 26 = 1, after all.

If you look at this similar example:
[tex]\frac{5^{-7} + 5^{-2}}{5^{-5}}[/tex]
I would multiply top and bottom by 57 because 5-7 is the smallest power shown.

Related to Exponent Laws Practice: Simplifying Fractional Exponents

What are exponent laws and why are they important in simplifying fractional exponents?

Exponent laws are mathematical rules that govern how exponents behave. They are important in simplifying fractional exponents because they allow us to manipulate and solve complex exponent expressions in a systematic and efficient manner.

What is the rule for simplifying an exponent expression with a fractional exponent?

The rule for simplifying an exponent expression with a fractional exponent is to rewrite the exponent as a whole number exponent by using the power rule: am/n = (am)1/n.

How do I simplify a fractional exponent with a negative base?

To simplify a fractional exponent with a negative base, we can apply the negative exponent rule: (-a)n = (-1)n * an. This will convert the negative base into a positive base, which can then be simplified using the same rules as a positive base.

Can I simplify an exponent expression with multiple terms?

Yes, exponent laws can be applied to simplify an exponent expression with multiple terms. The terms can be separated and simplified individually, and then combined using the appropriate exponent law.

What is the difference between fractional exponents and rational exponents?

Fractional exponents and rational exponents are essentially the same thing. They both represent exponents that are expressed as fractions. The only difference is that fractional exponents are usually written in the form am/n, while rational exponents are written in the form ap/q.