Multiplying Algebraic Fractional Exponents

In summary, an algebraic fractional exponent is a number that represents the power to which a quantity is raised and can be a fraction. To multiply algebraic expressions with fractional exponents, you can use the product rule of exponents. These expressions can also be simplified by using the rules of exponents. When multiplying or dividing fractional exponents, you must use different rules. It is possible to multiply algebraic expressions with different bases and fractional exponents by using the power and product rules.
Svetlana_Vein

Homework Statement

a3/2a5/4

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm hoping you can help. My solution to this problem would be:

a3/2+5/4=a8/6=a4/3

But the answer in the back of my book is given as a11/4

I'm confused!

Physics news on Phys.org
Figured it! I didn't realize I had to make the denominators match!

What is an algebraic fractional exponent and how is it different from a regular exponent?

An algebraic fractional exponent is a number that represents the power to which a quantity is raised. It is different from a regular exponent because it can be a fraction, rather than a whole number. For example, 21/2 is an algebraic fractional exponent, while 22 is a regular exponent.

How do you multiply algebraic expressions with fractional exponents?

To multiply algebraic expressions with fractional exponents, you can use the product rule of exponents. This rule states that when multiplying two terms with the same base, you can add their exponents. For example, (x1/2)(x1/3) = x1/2+1/3 = x5/6.

Can you simplify algebraic expressions with fractional exponents?

Yes, algebraic expressions with fractional exponents can be simplified by using the rules of exponents. You can simplify by multiplying any coefficients in front of the bases, adding the exponents of like bases, and using the power rule to simplify any exponents within the expression. For example, 2x2/3 * 3x1/3 = 6x2/3+1/3 = 6x1 = 6x.

What is the difference between multiplying fractional exponents and dividing them?

When multiplying fractional exponents, you can use the product rule and add the exponents. However, when dividing fractional exponents, you must use the quotient rule and subtract the exponents. For example, (x1/2)/(x1/3) = x1/2-1/3 = x1/6.

Can you multiply algebraic expressions with different bases and fractional exponents?

Yes, you can multiply algebraic expressions with different bases and fractional exponents. To do so, you can use the power rule to rewrite any bases with fractional exponents as a single base raised to a power. Then, you can use the product rule to multiply the expressions. For example, (2x1/3)(3y1/2) = (23x1)(32y1) = 6x1y1.