How Do You Simplify Complex Fractions?

• Thread starter Gringo123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fraction
In summary, the approach for solving this type of problem is to find the least common denominator and then multiply each rational expression by 1 in the form of the necessary factors to get the common denominator.
Gringo123
Can anyone explain to me what approach I need to take to solve this type of problem?

Express x/3x+1 - 2/8x-1

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Gringo123! :smile:

Put (3x+1)(8x-1) on the bottom. :wink:

Thanks Tim
The answer that I have come up with is:
(8x - 1) (x + 1) / 3x + 1) (8x - 1)
Is that correct? If it is, can I not cancel out the (8x - 1) from the top and bottom, leaving me with just:
x + 1 / 3x - 1
?

and then surely I can cancel x + 1 / 3x - 1 further to just x / 3x?

Gringo123 said:
Thanks Tim
The answer that I have come up with is:
(8x - 1) (x + 1) / 3x + 1) (8x - 1)

Is that correct?
No. Show us what you got before you factored the numerator.
Gringo123 said:
If it is, can I not cancel out the (8x - 1) from the top and bottom, leaving me with just:
x + 1 / 3x - 1
?
If what you got previously was correct, then yes, this would be valid. However, instead of writing x + 1 / 3x - 1, you need parentheses around the numerator and denominator, like this (x + 1) / (3x - 1). Note that this isn't the right answer.

Gringo123 said:
and then surely I can cancel x + 1 / 3x - 1 further to just x / 3x?
Surely not, and you have made at least two errors coming up with this. Cancelling means removing factors that are the same in numerator and denominator.

This is how I arrived at x + 1 / 3x + 1:

* x/3x + 1 - 2/ 8x-1
* x(8x - 1) - 2(3x + 1) / (3x + 1) (8x - 1)
* 8x squared - x - 6x - 1 / (3x + 1) (8x - 1)
* 8x squared - 7x - 1 / (3x + 1) (8x - 1)
* (8x - 1) (x + 1) / (3x + 1) (8x - 1)
* (x + 1) / (3x + 1)

Gringo123 said:
This is how I arrived at x + 1 / 3x + 1:

* x/3x + 1 - 2/ 8x-1
Use parentheses. The above should be written as x/(3x + 1) - 2/(8x - 1). If a numerator or denominator has more than one term, you need to surround it with parentheses.
Gringo123 said:
* x(8x - 1) - 2(3x + 1) / (3x + 1) (8x - 1)
Use = to indicate that expressions are equal. Except for the first line, everywhere you have used * you should have =.
The entire numerator needs parentheses around it.
Gringo123 said:
* 8x squared - x - 6x - 1 / (3x + 1) (8x - 1)
You skipped a step in the above, and one of your terms in the numerator is wrong.
Use the X2 button to enter exponents. You've been coming here long enough that you should start getting the hang of what features are available. If you don't see the X2 button, click the Go Advanced button just below the text entry area.
Gringo123 said:
* 8x squared - 7x - 1 / (3x + 1) (8x - 1)
* (8x - 1) (x + 1) / (3x + 1) (8x - 1)
Aside from the fact that 8x2 - 7x - 1 is incorrect, the factorization is not (8x - 1)(x + 1). As problems get more involved, check your work in intermediate steps. Does (8x - 1)(x + 1) multiply to 8x2 - 7x - 1?
Gringo123 said:
* (x + 1) / (3x + 1)

Gringo123 said:
Can anyone explain to me what approach I need to take to solve this type of problem?

Express x/3x+1 - 2/8x-1
The approach is the same as for adding two fractions, such as 3/8 + 1/6.

3/8 + 1/6
[tex]=\frac{3}{8}*\frac{3}{3} + \frac{1}{6}*\frac{4}{4}[/tex]
[tex]=\frac{9}{24} + \frac{4}{24} = \frac{13}{24}[/tex]
The least common denominator fro 8 and 6 is 24. The first fraction is multiplied by 1 in the form of 3/3 so as to get the common denominator. The second fraction is multiplied by 1 in the form of 4/4 for the same reason.

The approach for your algebra problem is nearly identical: find the least common denominator, and then multiply each rational expression by 1 to get a common denominator for both rational expressions.

Related to How Do You Simplify Complex Fractions?

1. How do you express a single fraction?

To express a single fraction, you must combine or simplify the numerator and denominator into one fraction.

2. What is the process for expressing a single fraction?

The process for expressing a single fraction involves finding a common denominator, adding or subtracting the fractions, and then simplifying the resulting fraction.

3. Can fractions with different denominators be expressed as a single fraction?

Yes, fractions with different denominators can be expressed as a single fraction by finding a common denominator and adding or subtracting the fractions.

4. Do you need to simplify the resulting fraction when expressing as a single fraction?

Yes, it is important to simplify the resulting fraction when expressing as a single fraction to ensure the fraction is in its simplest form.

5. Is expressing as a single fraction the same as converting to a decimal?

No, expressing as a single fraction involves combining or simplifying fractions, while converting to a decimal involves dividing the numerator by the denominator.