Express Sum of Vectors in Unit Vector Notation

In summary, the homework equations is asking for the sum of the vectors A+B+C, but the attempt at a solution does not seem to be working correctly. The correct way to do this would be to express the sum in vector notation and take into consideration the direction of the D vector.
dolpho

Homework Statement

Referring to the vectors in the figure, express the sum A + B + C in unit vector notation.

http://i.imgur.com/ajMkK.png

Homework Equations

I'm not sure if it wants me to add Dy, I've tried it both times and masteringphysics won't take either answer.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm assuming we need Ax, Ay, Bx, By, Cy, Cx and add Dy.

Ay= sin40 x 1.5 = .96
Ax= Cos40 x 1.5 = 1.15
Bx= Cos19 x 2.0 = 1.89
By= Sin19 x 2.0 = .65
Cx= Cos25 x 1 = .906
Cy= sin25 x 1 = .42
Dy= 1.5

The sum would be (3.946, 3.53)?

Would appreciate any help on this problem, I'm not really quite sure what I'm missing or if I did the trig wrong.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Start by writing vector equations for each of the given vectors. In your attempt, you have mixed up the Ax and Ay components. Also, be careful with signs. Choose which direction you want to be positive x and positive y.

CAF123 said:
Start by writing vector equations for each of the given vectors. In your attempt, you have mixed up the Ax and Ay components. Also, be careful with signs. Choose which direction you want to be positive x and positive y.

Ahh, I'm sorry I wrote it wrong on the post. So let's say on the graph I linked we start at Ax and Ay which are both positive. (1.15, .96)

On Bx and By, we should subtract the Y value because we are heading towards the X-axis and keep the X value positive.

For Cx, Cy the vector is moving towards the Y value and upwards. So we should subtract the X value and keep the y value positive? So the correct way would be.

Dx = 1.15 + 1.89 - .906 = 2.134

Dy = .96 - .65 + .42 = .73

Am I on the right track kind of?

dolpho said:
Ahh, I'm sorry I wrote it wrong on the post. So let's say on the graph I linked we start at Ax and Ay which are both positive. (1.15, .96)

On Bx and By, we should subtract the Y value because we are heading towards the X-axis and keep the X value positive.

For Cx, Cy the vector is moving towards the Y value and upwards. So we should subtract the X value and keep the y value positive?
If I understand you correctly, yes this is right but as I said above, it is probably better to express things in vector notation. I.e for vector A, we would have [tex] \vec{A} = 1.5(\cos(40)\hat{x} + \sin(40)\hat{y}) [/tex] and then add your x and y components.
So the correct way would be.

Dx = 1.15 + 1.89 - .906 = 2.134

Dy = .96 - .65 + .42 = .73

Am I on the right track kind of?
I don't understand this - the projection of D along x-axis is clearly zero

CAF123 said:
If I understand you correctly, yes this is right but as I said above, it is probably better to express things in vector notation. I.e for vector A, we would have [tex] \vec{A} = 1.5(\cos(40)\hat{x} + \sin(40)\hat{y}) [/tex] and then add your x and y components.

I don't understand this - the projection of D along x-axis is clearly zero

Ahh sorry, I'm still stuck in the notation like one section behind lol. Just ignore that part! Do the unit signs look correct to you?

So the Sum of A, B, C vectors for the X value = 2.134, Y value = .73

(2.134, .73)

dolpho said:
Ahh sorry, I'm still stuck in the notation like one section behind lol. Just ignore that part! Do the unit signs look correct to you?

So the Sum of A, B, C vectors for the X value = 2.134, Y value = .73

(2.134, .73)
Yes, the resultant vector (taking into account only A,B,C) is a vector with the above x and y components. Now take into consideration D and you are done.
Edit: I see from the question it only wants you to consider A,B,C.

CAF123 said:
Yes, the resultant vector (taking into account only A,B,C) is a vector with the above x and y components. Now take into consideration D and you are done.
Edit: I see from the question it only wants you to consider A,B,C.

Cool, couldn't have done it without you! Thanks a bunch :D

1. What is the "Express Sum of Vectors"?

The "Express Sum of Vectors" refers to a mathematical operation where two or more vectors are added together to create a new vector that represents their combined effect.

2. How do you express the sum of two vectors?

To express the sum of two vectors, you simply add their corresponding components. For example, if vector A = (3, 2) and vector B = (1, -2), then their sum would be (3+1, 2+(-2)) = (4, 0).

3. Can vectors with different dimensions be added together?

No, vectors with different dimensions cannot be added together. In order to add two vectors, they must have the same number of components (or dimensions).

4. What is the importance of expressing the sum of vectors?

Expressing the sum of vectors is important because it allows us to simplify complex physical or mathematical problems. It also helps us understand the overall effect of multiple vectors acting on a system.

5. Are there any other operations that can be performed on vectors?

Yes, there are several other operations that can be performed on vectors, such as scalar multiplication, dot product, and cross product. Each of these operations has its own unique purpose and can provide valuable insights in different contexts.