Expressing a vector in the exponential form

In summary, the conversation discusses expanding a general expression and finding an equation by reducing B and D. The suggested technique is to use the fact that cosine can be written as the real part of a complex expression and simplifying using the properties of complex numbers.
LCSphysicist
Homework Statement
All below
Relevant Equations
All below
1594070336690.png

1594070362759.png

1594070351172.png

I managed to expand a general expression from the alternatives that would leave me to the answer, that is:
I will receive the alternatives like above, so i find the equation:

1594070509099.png
C = -sina, P = cosa

So reducing B:
1594070587524.png

R:
1594070730178.png
Reducing D:
1594070763098.png

R:
1594070886950.png

Is this right?

Physics news on Phys.org
I prefer simply the way
(b) ##\ \ Re(e^{i(\omega t-\pi/3)}-e^{i\omega t})=Re(e^{i\omega t}(e^{-i\pi/3}-1))=Re(e^{i\omega t} e^{-i2\pi/3})##

(d) ##\ \ Re(e^{i\omega t-i \pi/2}-2e^{i(\omega t - \pi/4 )}+e^{i\omega t})##

Last edited:
Likes LCSphysicist and etotheipi
The idea is to use the fact that ##\cos \alpha = {\rm Re}(e^{i\alpha})##, then simplify the complex expression.

One technique you can use is
\begin{align*}
e^{i\theta} + 1 &= e^{i\theta/2}(e^{i\theta/2} + e^{-i\theta/2}) = e^{i\theta/2}[2 \cos (\theta/2)] \\
e^{i\theta} - 1 &= e^{i\theta/2}(e^{i\theta/2} - e^{-i\theta/2}) = e^{i\theta/2}[2i \sin (\theta/2)]
\end{align*} or some variation.

• Skeptical
Likes LCSphysicist and etotheipi

1. What is the purpose of expressing a vector in the exponential form?

The exponential form of a vector is used to simplify calculations and represent complex numbers in a more concise and efficient manner.

2. How do you convert a vector from rectangular form to exponential form?

To convert a vector from rectangular form (a + bi) to exponential form (re^iθ), you can use the formula r = √(a^2 + b^2) and θ = tan^-1(b/a). Then, the vector can be expressed as r(cosθ + isinθ).

3. What is the significance of the angle (θ) in the exponential form of a vector?

The angle (θ) in the exponential form of a vector represents the direction of the vector in the complex plane. It is also known as the argument or phase angle.

4. Can the exponential form of a vector be used to perform vector operations?

Yes, the exponential form of a vector can be used to perform vector operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. This form makes it easier to manipulate and calculate with complex numbers.

5. How is the magnitude of a vector represented in the exponential form?

The magnitude of a vector is represented by the value of "r" in the exponential form (re^iθ). This value is equivalent to the absolute value of the vector in rectangular form.