Expressing gcd of two polynomials as a linear combination

In summary, the conversation involved finding the greatest common divisor (gcd) of two polynomials and writing it as a linear combination. The gcd was determined to be 1 and the steps of back substitution were discussed to find the linear combination equal to 1. Ultimately, the polynomials were found to be coprime and the solution was provided as a potential guide.
bonfire09

Homework Statement

Find the ##gcd(x^3+x^2-x, x^5+x^4+2x^2-x-1) ##and write it as a linear combination.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the ##gcd(x^3+x^2-x, x^5+x^4+2x^2-x-1)=1## What I have so far is ##1. x^5+x^4+2x^2-x-1=(x^3+x^2-x)(x^2+1)+(x^2-1)## ##2. x^3+x^2-x=(x^2-1)(x+1)+1 ##. I tried back substituting but it can't seem to work. The division is correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have the gcd as 1? What does that tell you about what factors these polynomials have in common?

Just 1 but I am having trouble writing the gcd as a linear combination of the two given polynomials to equal 1.

bonfire09 said:
Just 1 but I am having trouble writing the gcd as a linear combination of the two given polynomials to equal 1.

Yeah, so they're coprime.

You have [tex]

x^5+x^4+2x^2-x-1 =(x^2 + 1)(x^3+x^2-x) +(x^2 -1)
[/tex]
[tex]
x^3 + x^2 - x = (x+1)(x^2-1) + 1 [/tex]

back subbing you'd get [tex]

x^3 + x^2 -x -(x+1)(x^2-1) = 1
[/tex]
[tex]
x^5 + x^4 + 2x^2 -x -1 -(x^2+1)(x^3+x^2-x) = x^2-1
[/tex]
[tex]
x^3+x^2-x -(x+1)[x^5+x^4+2x^2 -x -1 -(x^2+1)(x^3+x^2-x)] = 1

[/tex]

Does this help? I can't think of a good way to point you in the right direction without giving the soultion.

1. What is the definition of a linear combination?

A linear combination is a mathematical expression formed by multiplying each term in a set of numbers or variables by a constant, and then adding them together. In the context of polynomials, a linear combination is a sum of polynomials multiplied by constants.

2. How is the greatest common divisor (gcd) of two polynomials expressed as a linear combination?

The gcd of two polynomials is expressed as a linear combination by finding the coefficients that can be multiplied by each polynomial to obtain the gcd. These coefficients are then used to form the linear combination.

3. Why is expressing the gcd of two polynomials as a linear combination useful?

Expressing the gcd of two polynomials as a linear combination is useful because it allows us to simplify and factor polynomials. It also helps in solving equations involving polynomials, as well as in finding the roots of a polynomial.

4. Can the gcd of two polynomials always be expressed as a linear combination?

Yes, the gcd of two polynomials can always be expressed as a linear combination. This is because the concept of a gcd is based on the idea of finding the largest polynomial that divides both polynomials without leaving a remainder, and this can always be expressed as a linear combination.

5. Is the linear combination of two polynomials unique?

No, the linear combination of two polynomials is not always unique. This is because there can be multiple ways to express the gcd of two polynomials as a linear combination, depending on the coefficients and the order of the terms. However, the result will still be the same regardless of the specific linear combination used.