Expressing Matrix Power as linear combination

In summary, the student attempted to solve for A5 by using the equation for A2 and substituting in the values for a and b. They then used the equation for A2 to multiply by a linear combination of A2 to obtain A4 and then multiplied by A to get A5.
SteliosVas

Homework Statement

Okay I am given a matrix A = [2 1 ; 3 4]

The first step is to find numbers of a and b such that A2 + aA + bI = [0 0; 0 0]

I is an identity matrix (2x2).

Part B - After that is says to use the result of the above to express A5 as a linear combination of A and I

Homework Equations

Okay I am pretty sure for the first part it is just quite simply squaring A, putting the letter a and b in front of the respective matrix and multiplying.
Than equalling to 0 you have 2 unknowns and 4 equations solve for A and B.
As for the second part I am not sure if I should be using the characteristic polynomial or/and eigen values?

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay so for the first part i got 4 equations once eventually done the computations as:

2a + b + 17 = 0
a + 6 = 0
3a+18=0
4a+b+19=0

Solving I get a = -6 and b = 5

Now for part B I am really stuck. . If i calculate the eigen values then, they are also the eigen values for A5.. Because I + A + A2... is an infinite series.. with a common ratio... Really stuck sure there is an easier way to look at it,

Physics news on Phys.org
Write ##A^5## as a product of powers of A, each no greater than 2.
You have an equation that enables you to write ##A^2## as a linear function of A.
So by repeated substitution for ##A^2## in that product you should be able to get ##A^5## down to a linear function of A.

Likes SteliosVas
andrewkirk said:
Write ##A^5## as a product of powers of A, each no greater than 2.
You have an equation that enables you to write ##A^2## as a linear function of A.
So by repeated substitution for ##A^2## in that product you should be able to get ##A^5## down to a linear function of A.
Do you mean A2 * A2 * A?

Sorry could you explain a little more?

Yes that's what I mean. Now use the equation you derived in Part A to replace each of those two instances of ##A^2## by a linear combination of A and I. Then expand and collect terms. Can you see a way forward from there?

andrewkirk said:
Yes that's what I mean. Now use the equation you derived in Part A to replace each of those two instances of ##A^2## by a linear combination of A and I. Then expand and collect terms. Can you see a way forward from there?

Okay so I sort of understand where you are going but let me clarify...

So we know the value of a and the value of b... We also know that for the Matrix A2+a*A + b*I we get it equal to a 2x2 zero's matrix.
Since we know the values of a and b we can plug those into the equation that I got which was A2 * -6A + 5I = [0 0 ; 0 0]
So basically do I need to replace A2 with A*A than use that result to multiply again by A and repeat?EDIT:

Okay maybe now I understood, do you mean multiply A1 by a than A2 by a and so on?

Last edited:
No. That matrix on the right-hand side of your equation is just the zero matrix. So your equation is ##A^2-6A+5I=0##. Now make ##A^2## the subject of the equation and you'll have a formula for ##A^2## that is a linear function of ##A## and ##I##.

Likes SteliosVas
andrewkirk said:
No. That matrix on the right-hand side of your equation is just the zero matrix. So your equation is ##A^2-6A+5I=0##. Now make ##A^2## the subject of the equation and you'll have a formula for ##A^2## that is a linear function of ##A## and ##I##.
Okay fantastic now I get you!

So the real equation for A2 = 6A - 5I

So since we have the equation of A2 we can multiply that by another linerar combination of A2 to obtain A4 than again multiply by A to get A5?

Last edited:
That is right, but the linear combination means you can only have constants times A and constants times I.
Continue substituting until all higher powers of A are gone and you will be left with cA -DI = A^5.
Remember to check your answer with a computer or calculator since repeated multiplications and additions provide many opportunities for errors.

Likes SteliosVas

Related to Expressing Matrix Power as linear combination

What is the concept of expressing matrix power as a linear combination?

Expressing matrix power as a linear combination refers to the process of representing a matrix raised to a certain power as a linear combination of other matrices. This helps in simplifying complex matrix calculations and solving equations involving matrices.

How is expressing matrix power as a linear combination useful in mathematics?

This concept is useful in various mathematical applications, such as solving systems of linear equations, finding eigenvalues and eigenvectors, and calculating powers of a matrix. It also helps in understanding the properties and behavior of matrices.

What is the formula for expressing matrix power as a linear combination?

The formula for expressing matrix power as a linear combination is An = c1A1 + c2A2 + ... + cnAn, where A is the given matrix, c1, c2, ..., cn are constants, and A1, A2, ..., An are the powers of the matrix.

What are the steps for expressing matrix power as a linear combination?

The steps for expressing matrix power as a linear combination are as follows:

1. Identify the given matrix A and its power n.
  2. Find the powers of A up to n, i.e., A1, A2, ..., An.
  3. Write the powers of A in a row, with A1 on the left and An on the right.
  4. Write the coefficients c1, c2, ..., cn for each power of A, such that An = c1A1 + c2A2 + ... + cnAn.
  5. The coefficients c1, c2, ..., cn form a row vector, which is the linear combination of the powers of A.

Can any matrix be expressed as a linear combination of powers of itself?

No, not all matrices can be expressed as a linear combination of powers of itself. This method can only be used for square matrices that have distinct eigenvalues. Matrices with repeated eigenvalues or with complex eigenvalues cannot be expressed as a linear combination.