Expressions for the energy density of electromagnetic waves

In summary, the conversation is discussing a problem involving energy densities of electromagnetic waves and the ratio between the electric and magnetic field components. The participants also discuss the characteristic impedance of free space and the justification for the equal energy of the E and B waves. The solution involves using Maxwell's equations and the derived wave speed of 1/√(µoεo).
99wattr89
I hope this is the right forum for a first year undergraduate problem!
The problem I've been working on is here: http://i.imgur.com/IhTtL.png

I think that I have the correct answers, but I'm not sure. I think that the energy densities of the E and B field components will be (0.5)(ε0)(E^2) and (B^2)/(2μ0), that the ratio between the two is just 1/(c^2) and that the characteristic impedance of free space will be (Eμ0)/B.

Can anyone confirm or deny those results? Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi 99wattr89! welcome to pf! :smile:

(try using the X2 button just above the Reply box :wink:)
99wattr89 said:
I think that I have the correct answers, but I'm not sure. I think that the energy densities of the E and B field components will be (0.5)(ε0)(E^2) and (B^2)/(2μ0), that the ratio between the two is just 1/(c^2)

yes
and that the characteristic impedance of free space will be (Eμ0)/B.

which is … ? :wink:

Thank you! And thanks for the tip!

I've been playing about with the result, and tried subbing in the energy equations form the first part of the question - that gives me an expression with μ0, ε0, and the E and B energies. I think I see how to finish it now - the E and B field energies at the same, right? Because if they are then the two cancel, and I get √(μ0/ε0), which I found in a couple of books as an expression for vacuum impedance.

The only trouble is justifying why the E and B waves have equal energy. I thought that maybe it was because in a loss-less system where E is generating B and B is generating E they would have to have the same energy - but in a wave they could both have been created by some unidentified source, which wouldn't necessarily have to give the same energy to both.

Last edited:
99wattr89 said:
… the E and B field energies at the same, right? Because if they are then the two cancel, and I get √(μ0/ε0), which I found in a couple of books as an expression for vacuum impedance.

i suspect the question wants an answer in terms of µo and c :wink:
The only trouble is justifying why the E and B waves have equal energy.

no, the electric field and magnetic field (in an EM wave) have equal strength, not energy

EDIT: actually, that's not correct, i should say that the strengths are related by Emax = cBmax

(btw, in a more convenient system, both µo and c would be 1, and both the strengths and the energies would be equal :smile:)

Last edited:
tiny-tim said:
i suspect the question wants an answer in terms of µo and c :wink: no, the electric field and magnetic field (in an EM wave) have equal strength, not energy

(btw, in a more convenient system, both µo and c would be 1, and the energies would be equal :smile:)

I see, so the force created by each is the same, but not the energy carried?

Double checking, I don't actually get this result though, I get μ0 for the impedance. Could my ratio for the two energies be backwards? I was pretty hazy on how to find the ratio for them so I could easily have that wrong. When I did the E energy over the B energy I got μ0ε0E2/B2, so I thought that meant a ratio of μ0ε0 - is that right? What confuses me is that there are E and B terms in the ratio and I don't know how to get rid of them initially I just ignored them, but I don't think that's right.

If the ratio of E energy over B energy is 1/μ0ε0, then I get a result of μ0c, which I think is correct, but I can't get that ratio.

Last edited:
tiny-tim said:
i suspect the question wants an answer in terms of µo and c :wink:
I think the problem is looking for a specific value.

no, the electric field and magnetic field (in an EM wave) have equal strength, not energy

(btw, in a more convenient system, both µo and c would be 1, and the energies would be equal :smile:)
That's backwards. If the waves have the same energy in one set of units, they'll have the same energy in all sets of units. Using SI, the E and B field amplitudes have different units, so you can't compare them directly, but just looking at the numbers and ignoring the units, you'd see "E">>"B". When you use units where c=1, the fields have the same units, and E=B.

99wattr89 said:
I see, so the force created by each is the same, but not the energy carried?

i got that slightly wrong :redface: … see the EDIT above

using E2 = c2B2 wil give you the correct result …
If the ratio of E energy over B energy is 1/μ0ε0, then I get a result of μ0c, which I think is correct, but I can't get that ratio.

in reply to your earlier question …
99wattr89 said:
The only trouble is justifying why the E and B waves have equal energy. I thought that maybe it was because in a loss-less system where E is generating B and B is generating E they would have to have the same energy - but in a wave they could both have been created by some unidentified source, which wouldn't necessarily have to give the same energy to both.

yes, they are sort-of generating each other :smile:

from Maxwell's equations, we get ∇2E = µoεo2E/∂t2 and ∇2B = µoεo2B/∂t2,

from which we deduce that there's a wave with speed 1/√(µoεo), and Emax = cBmax, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_radiation#Derivation

vela said:
I think the problem is looking for a specific value.

That's backwards. If the waves have the same energy in one set of units, they'll have the same energy in all sets of units. Using SI, the E and B field amplitudes have different units, so you can't compare them directly, but just looking at the numbers and ignoring the units, you'd see "E">>"B". When you use units where c=1, the fields have the same units, and E=B.

tiny-tim said:
i got that slightly wrong :redface: … see the EDIT above

using E2 = c2B2 wil give you the correct result …

in reply to your earlier question …

yes, they are sort-of generating each other :smile:

from Maxwell's equations, we get ∇2E = µoεo2E/∂t2 and ∇2B = µoεo2B/∂t2,

from which we deduce that there's a wave with speed 1/√(µoεo), and Emax = cBmax, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_radiation#Derivation

Thank you both for all your help! I don't understand the equations listed on that wikipedia page, or how E/B=c comes out of them, but maybe that's more second year material?

I certainly have the answer at least, so thanks again.

Related to Expressions for the energy density of electromagnetic waves

1. What is the energy density of an electromagnetic wave?

The energy density of an electromagnetic wave is the amount of energy per unit volume that is carried by the wave. It is a measure of the intensity of the electromagnetic field.

2. What is the equation for calculating the energy density of an electromagnetic wave?

The energy density of an electromagnetic wave can be calculated using the equation:
u = ε0 * E2
where u is the energy density, ε0 is the permittivity of free space, and E is the electric field strength.

3. How does the energy density of an electromagnetic wave change with distance from the source?

The energy density of an electromagnetic wave decreases as the distance from the source increases. This is because the energy is spread out over a larger area, resulting in a lower energy density.

4. Is the energy density of an electromagnetic wave constant?

No, the energy density of an electromagnetic wave can vary depending on the properties of the medium through which it is traveling. In a vacuum, the energy density is constant, but in other materials, it may change due to factors such as the refractive index or absorption coefficient.

5. How does the energy density of an electromagnetic wave relate to its frequency and wavelength?

The energy density of an electromagnetic wave is directly proportional to its frequency and inversely proportional to its wavelength. This means that as the frequency increases, the energy density also increases, while as the wavelength increases, the energy density decreases.