Extending function to determine Fourier series

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the Fourier cosine series of a triangular wave formed by extending a given function as a periodic function of period 2. The value of L is determined to be 1, and the formula for determining the cosine series is provided. The conversation also clarifies the use of the factor 2 in the half range formula and discusses the calculation of the integral to obtain the form of the Fourier series.
J6204
Thread moved from the technical forums, so no Homework Template is shown
In the following question I need to find the Fourier cosine series of the triangular wave formed by extending the function f(x) as a periodic function of period 2
$$f(x) = \begin{cases}
1+x,& -1\leq x \leq 0\\
1-x, & 0\leq x \leq 1\\\end{cases}$$
I just have a few questions then I will be able to get started to execute this solution.
**Question 1** How do I extend the function f(x) as a periodic function of period 2?
**Question 2** The formulas for determing the cosine series are the following,
$$a_0 = \frac{2}{L} \int_0^L f(x) dx$$
$$a_n = \frac{2}{L} \int _0^L f(x) \cos \left(\frac{n\pi x}{L}\right) dx$$
$$f(x) = \frac{a_0}{2} + \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} a_n \cos\left( \frac{n\pi x }{L} \right)$$
Once we have extended the function what will the value of L be?

Physics news on Phys.org
J6204 said:
In the following question I need to find the Fourier cosine series of the triangular wave formed by extending the function f(x) as a periodic function of period 2
$$f(x) = \begin{cases}
1+x,& -1\leq x \leq 0\\
1-x, & 0\leq x \leq 1\\\end{cases}$$
I just have a few questions then I will be able to get started to execute this solution.
**Question 1** How do I extend the function f(x) as a periodic function of period 2?

You don't have to "extend the function". Since your function is even, the half range cosine series will be a periodic extension of your function.

**Question 2** The formulas for determing the cosine series are the following,
$$a_0 = \frac{2}{L} \int_0^L f(x) dx$$
$$f(x) = \frac{a_0}{2} + \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} a_n \cos\left( \frac{n\pi x }{L} \right)$$
Once we have extended the function what will the value of L be?
##L## is half the period of the extended periodic function. In your case one period is given on ##[-1,1]## so the period is ##2## and ##L=1##.

LCKurtz said:
You don't have to "extend the function". Since your function is even, the half range cosine series will be a periodic extension of your function.##L## is half the period of the extended periodic function. In your case one period is given on ##[-1,1]## so the period is ##2## and ##L=1##.
okay so then I am able to start the following integrations, I just want to see if what I have below is correct then I can calculate them

$$a_0 = \frac{2}{L} \int_0^L f(x) dx = 2\int_{-1}^0(1+x)dx + 2\int _{0}^1 (1-x)dx $$
$$a_n = \frac{2}{L} \int _0^L f(x) \cos \left(\frac{n\pi x}{L}\right) dx = 2 \int_{-1}^0(1+x)cos(n\pi x) dx + 2\int_{0}^1 (1-x)cos(n\pi x) dx $$

J6204 said:
okay so then I am able to start the following integrations, I just want to see if what I have below is correct then I can calculate them

That is the formula for ##a_n##. You know ##L=1## and ##f(x)## on that interval is ##1-x##. So your formula is $$a_n = \frac 2 1 \int_{0}^1 (1-x)cos(n\pi x) dx $$That is all there is to it. The whole point of half range formulas is that you don't need to use the other formula for ##[-1,0]##. So what you have below, besides being incorrect, is pointless.

$$ = 2 \int_{-1}^0(1+x)cos(n\pi x) dx + 2\int_{0}^1 (1-x)cos(n\pi x) dx $$

Okay thanks, I actually didon't mean to put that 2 in there. Thanks for your help!

So I only need to calculaye the (1-x) integral? That makes it much easier

J6204 said:
Okay thanks, I actually didon't mean to put that 2 in there. Thanks for your help!
The ##2## needs to go on the half range formula because it essentially includes the other half. But if you include both halves, neither would have the ##2## in front. The point is that the two integrals are equal for an even function and that's why you can do just one of the integrals and double it. But if you did both integrals you wouldn't double either one. Clear?

LCKurtz said:
The ##2## needs to go on the half range formula because it essentially includes the other half. But if you include both halves, neither would have the ##2## in front. The point is that the two integrals are equal for an even function and that's why you can do just one of the integrals and double it. But if you did both integrals you wouldn't double either one. Clear?
okay so I understand what you are saying. Now I just need to calculate the following,
$$a_n = 2 \int_0^1 (1-x)\cos (n\pi x) dx $$
then plug it into the formula below to get the form of the Fourier series,
$$f(x) = \sum^\infty_{n=1} a_n \cos\frac{n\pi x}{L}$$ where L is 1

Don't forget the appropriate half range formula for ##a_0## and include it.

1. What is a Fourier series?

A Fourier series is a mathematical representation of a periodic function using a sum of sines and cosines. It allows us to break down a complex function into simpler components, which can then be analyzed and understood more easily.

2. Why is it important to extend functions to determine Fourier series?

Extending functions to determine Fourier series is important because it allows us to analyze and understand a wider range of functions. By breaking down a function into simpler components, we can gain insights into its behavior and make predictions about its future values.

3. How do you extend a function to determine its Fourier series?

To extend a function to determine its Fourier series, we use a mathematical technique called Fourier transform. This involves converting a function from its original time or spatial domain to the frequency domain, where it can be expressed as a sum of sines and cosines. The coefficients of these sines and cosines make up the Fourier series of the original function.

4. What are the applications of Fourier series in science?

Fourier series have numerous applications in science, especially in fields such as physics, engineering, and signal processing. They are used to analyze and understand periodic phenomena, such as sound waves and electromagnetic waves. They are also used in image and signal processing to filter out unwanted noise and enhance the clarity of the desired signal.

5. Are there any limitations to using Fourier series?

While Fourier series are a powerful tool in analyzing periodic functions, they have some limitations. They can only be applied to functions that are periodic, which means they repeat themselves infinitely in time or space. Additionally, the convergence of Fourier series may not hold for all functions, leading to inaccuracies in their representation.