Extension of a continuous function

In summary, we have shown that if f can be extended to a continuous function g on Cl(A), then g is uniquely determined by f. This is because if g and h are both extensions of f, then they must be equal at every point in Cl(A) in order to be continuous, thus proving uniqueness.
radou
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

Let f : A --> Y be a continuous function, where A is a subset of X and Y is Haussdorf. Show that, if f can be extended to a continuous function g : Cl(A) --> Y, then g is uniquely determined by f.

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I can solve this on my own, but I got a bit stuck, perhaps I didn't understand the problem right, so let me check.

I assume an extension of a function in this case means that for any x in A, f(x) = g(x), and further on, I assume that g is uniquely determined by f if, for any x in Cl(A) , f(x) = g(x), too. Am I right on this one?

Physics news on Phys.org
f(x) doesn't exist for points in Cl(A) necessarily. When they say that g is uniquely determined, it means that suppose g(x) and h(x) are continuous functions on Cl(A) such that f(x)=g(x)=h(x) on A. Then g(x)=h(x) for all points in Cl(A)

Office_Shredder said:
f(x) doesn't exist for points in Cl(A) necessarily. When they say that g is uniquely determined, it means that suppose g(x) and h(x) are continuous functions on Cl(A) such that f(x)=g(x)=h(x) on A. Then g(x)=h(x) for all points in Cl(A)

OK, thanks. I'll try to do it right away.

OK, here's the solution.

Let g and h extensions of f, and assume g =/= h. Let x be a point in Cl(A). Then, since Y is Haussdorf, take two disjoint neighborhoods of g(x) and h(x), V1 and V2. Since g and h are continuous, for V1 and V2 there exist neighborhoods U1 and U2 of x such that g(U1) is contained in V1 and g(U2) in V2. Since x is in the closure of A, both U1 and U2 intersect A. Take some x' from the intersection. Since x' is in A, g(x) = f(x) is contained in V1, and h(x) = f(x) is contained in V2. But then V1 and V2 are disjoint neighborhoods of f(x), which is impossible.

radou said:
Since x' is in A, g(x) = f(x) is contained in V1, and h(x) = f(x) is contained in V2. But then V1 and V2 are disjoint neighborhoods of f(x), which is impossible.

Just a correction - since x' is in A, g(x') = f(x'), etc. replace all x with x'.

Related to Extension of a continuous function

1. What is the definition of an extension of a continuous function?

An extension of a continuous function is a new function that is defined on a larger domain and agrees with the original function on its original domain. It is used to extend the behavior of a continuous function beyond its original domain.

2. Why is it important to extend a continuous function?

Extending a continuous function is important because it allows us to study the behavior of the function on a larger domain and potentially discover new properties or insights about the function.

3. What is the difference between a continuous function and a discontinuous function?

A continuous function is a function that has no sudden jumps or breaks in its graph, meaning it can be drawn without lifting the pen. A discontinuous function, on the other hand, has at least one point where the graph is not connected, resulting in a sudden jump or break in the graph.

4. Can any function be extended to a continuous function?

No, not all functions can be extended to a continuous function. For example, a function with a vertical asymptote cannot be extended to a continuous function, as it would result in a discontinuity at the asymptote.

5. How is the extension of a continuous function related to the concept of limits?

The concept of limits is closely related to the extension of a continuous function. In order to extend a function, we need to understand the behavior of the function near its boundaries, which is precisely what limits describe.