Extension of Schwarzschild Light Cones: White Hole/Black Hole

In summary, the coordinates ##u## and ##v## are defined as ##u=t+r*##, ##v=t-r*##, where ##r*=r+2M In(\frac{r}{2M}-1)##. In ##u,r,\theta,\phi ## coordinates, the radially null geodesics are given by ##\frac{du}{dr}=0## for infalling and ##\frac{du}{dr}=2(1-\frac{2M}{r})^{-1}## for outgoing. In the ##v,r,\theta,\phi ## coordinate, the radially null geodesics are given by ##\frac{du}{dr}=0## for outgoing and ##\frac
binbagsss
The coordinates ##u## and ##v## are defined as ##u=t+r*##, ##v=t-r*##, where ##r*=r+2M In(\frac{r}{2M}-1)##.
In ##u,r,\theta,\phi ## coordinates the radially null geodesics are given by:
##\frac{du}{dr}=0 ## for infalling,
##\frac{du}{dr}=2(1-\frac{2M}{r})^{-1} ## for outgoing.

In the ##v,r,\theta,\phi ## coordinate the radially null geodesics are given by:
##\frac{du}{dr}=0 ## for outgoing,
##\frac{du}{dr}=-2(1-\frac{2M}{r})^{-1}## for infalling.

For ##r<2M## it is clear that the ##(1-\frac{2M}{r})^{-1} ## term becomes negative.

Question:

So this results in the light cones on ##u## vs ##r## , first attachment, tilting over.
This explains why ##r \leq 2M ## is a black-hole, within this region as time increases ##r## can only decrease.

My question is in a similar way trying to explain why, attachment two, demonstrates a white-hole.
So here the light-cones do the opposite, for ##r>2M## as time increases ##r## decreases and within ##r \leq 2M ## as time increases ##r ## increases.
So the definition of a white hole is that no signal from infinity can enter - how should this be obvious from th light cones?

Thanks very much in advance.

Attachments

• light cone 2.png
    light cone 2.png
    3.7 KB · Views: 429
  • light cone 1.png
    light cone 1.png
    3.7 KB · Views: 529
Physics news on Phys.org
So from the light cones you understand in attachment one that the light cones are tilted towards the black hole and that is the direction of light as it approaches the event horizon/black hole.

For the second attachment: One way to look at it is that since the light cones tilt away it is impossible for light coming from infinity to approach a black hole. The path is in the opposite direction.

Edit: I'm not sure if the above made sense. I have actually done a problem like this ( and got it correct) and I know I have it somewhere... I'll give you a better explanation once I find it/ redo it. =) However, I think I had draw a picture similar to your attachment two+calculations and I simply said what I stated above. I can't remember the metric I used...

Last edited:

1. What is an extension of Schwarzschild light cones?

The extension of Schwarzschild light cones refers to the mathematical concept of extending the light cones in the Schwarzschild metric, which is used to describe the spacetime around a non-rotating black hole. It allows for the inclusion of regions outside of the black hole's event horizon, such as a white hole.

2. What is a white hole?

A white hole is the hypothetical opposite of a black hole, where matter and energy are ejected outwards instead of being pulled inwards. It is often described as a "time-reversed" black hole, with the singularity at the center representing the beginning of time instead of the end.

3. How does the extension of Schwarzschild light cones affect our understanding of black holes?

The extension of Schwarzschild light cones allows for the possibility of white holes, which were previously not included in the Schwarzschild metric. This expands our understanding of black holes as not just objects that consume matter and energy, but also as potential sources of matter and energy.

4. Can we observe white holes in the universe?

There is currently no observational evidence for the existence of white holes in the universe. However, some scientists have proposed that certain astrophysical phenomena, such as gamma-ray bursts, could be caused by white holes.

5. What are the implications of the extension of Schwarzschild light cones?

The extension of Schwarzschild light cones has significant implications for our understanding of the nature of spacetime and the behavior of matter and energy in extreme environments. It also raises new questions about the possibility of traversable wormholes and the ultimate fate of black holes.