Extension of spring Lagrangian

In summary, by using the principles of energy conservation and the Lagrangian, the length of the spring when block B comes to rest can be found by solving Hooke's law equations with the reduced mass. However, there may be simpler methods to solve this problem.
albertrichardf

Homework Statement

An ideal spring of relaxed length l and spring constant k is attached to two blocks, A and B of mass M and m respectively. A velocity u is imparted to block B. Find the length of the spring when B comes to rest.

Homework Equations

[tex] ∆K + ∆U = 0 [/tex]
[tex] U = \frac {kx^2}{2} [/tex]
[tex] ∆p = 0 [/tex]
[tex] L = K - U [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I used energy conservation to find the answer. I got:

[tex] (mu)^2( \frac 1m - \frac1M) = kx^2 [/tex]

Then divide by k and take the square root.

I then tried with the Lagrangian. My coordinates are x and X, where X is the position of B, and x is the position of A. u is the velocity of A and U is the velocity B. And because the solutions will not change if I multiply the Lagrangian, I eliminated the factor of half from the energies. Thus my Lagrangian is:

[tex] mu^2 + MU^2 - k(x - X - l)^2 = L [/tex]

I used the Euler Lagrange equations with respect to x and X. However when I used them I simply end up with Hooke's law. But Hooke's law relates the acceleration to the extension of the spring and I do not have the acceleration. Thus I can't solve for the extension. Plus the solution should depend on the final and initial velocities but it does not.
How could I solve this using the Lagrangian?
Thank you for answering

Physics news on Phys.org
I set up a new Lagrangian that is in terms of the displacement of the spring. Then I used Hooke's laws from the Lagrangian, and found an equation for the displacement's acceleration. Its Hooke's law, but with the reduced mass, so I solved it, used the velocity of the displacement to find the time, then plugged that in back in the equation of the displacement. I know it is the right answer because the energy answer matches this one, but is there a simpler way of doing this?
Thank you

1. What is the "Extension of spring Lagrangian"?

The "Extension of spring Lagrangian" is a mathematical framework used to describe the motion of a spring that is extended or compressed beyond its natural length. It is based on the principles of Lagrangian mechanics, which is a branch of classical mechanics.

2. How is the "Extension of spring Lagrangian" different from the regular spring Lagrangian?

The regular spring Lagrangian describes the motion of a spring that is only subject to conservative forces. The "Extension of spring Lagrangian" takes into account the non-conservative forces, such as friction, that act on a spring when it is extended or compressed beyond its natural length.

3. What are the key equations used in the "Extension of spring Lagrangian"?

The main equation used in the "Extension of spring Lagrangian" is the Lagrangian equation of motion, which is based on the principle of least action. This equation relates the kinetic energy, potential energy, and non-conservative forces acting on the spring to its displacement and velocity.

4. How is the "Extension of spring Lagrangian" used in scientific research?

The "Extension of spring Lagrangian" is commonly used in scientific research to model and analyze the behavior of springs in various systems, such as mechanical, electrical, and biological systems. It allows scientists to accurately predict the motion and response of extended or compressed springs in these systems.

5. Are there any limitations to the "Extension of spring Lagrangian"?

Like any mathematical model, the "Extension of spring Lagrangian" has its limitations. It assumes that the spring is a linear elastic system and neglects any non-linear behavior. It also does not take into account the effects of temperature and time-dependent changes in the spring's properties.