Extinction curve variations

In summary, the authors investigate variations in interstellar extinction curves in the inner Milky Way and find significant differences from predicted values. They also suggest that these variations may impact observational cosmology and potentially lead to underestimated systematic errors in distance ladder measurements. They also note that current methods for measuring dust extinction may overestimate its effects and lack sensitivity to extinction curve variations.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
All though i do not understand all this i wonder what others think, thees extinction seem significantarXiv:1510.01321 [pdf, ps, other]
Interstellar Extinction Curve Variations Toward the Inner Milky Way: A Challenge to Observational Cosmology
David M. Nataf, Oscar A. Gonzalez, Luca Casagrande, Gail Zasowski, Christopher Wegg, Christian Wolf, Andrea Kunder, Javier Alonso-Garcia, Dante Minniti, Marina Rejkuba, Roberto K. Saito, Elena Valenti, Manuela Zoccali, Radoslaw Poleski, Grzegorz Pietrzynski, Jan Skowron, Igor Soszynski, Michal K. Szymanski, Andrzej Udalski, Krzystof Ulaczyk, Lukasz Wyrzykowski
Comments: 16 pages, 13 figures, 3 tables
Subjects: Solar and Stellar Astrophysics (astro-ph.SR); Cosmology and Nongalactic Astrophysics (astro-ph.CO); Astrophysics of Galaxies (astro-ph.GA)

We investigate interstellar extinction curve variations toward $\sim$4 deg$^{2}$ of the inner Milky Way in $VIJK_{s}$ photometry from the OGLE-III and $VVV$ surveys, with supporting evidence from diffuse interstellar bands and $F435W,F625W$ photometry. We obtain independent measurements toward $\sim$2,000 sightlines of $A_{I}$, $E(V-I)$, $E(I-J)$, and $E(J-K_{s})$, with median precision and accuracy of 2%. We find that the variations in the extinction ratios $A_{I}/E(V-I)$, $E(I-J)/E(V-I)$ and $E(J-K_{s})/E(V-I)$ are large (exceeding 20%), significant, and positively correlated, as expected. However, both the mean values and the trends in these extinction ratios are drastically shifted from the predictions of Cardelli and Fitzpatrick, regardless of how $R_{V}$ is varied. Furthermore, we demonstrate that variations in the shape of the extinction curve has at least two degrees of freedom, and not one (e.g. $R_{V}$), which we conform with a principal component analysis. We derive a median value of $<A_{V}/A_{Ks}>=13.44$, which is $\sim$60% higher than the "standard" value. We show that the Wesenheit magnitude $W_{I}=I-1.61(I-J)$ is relatively impervious to extinction curve variations.
Given that these extinction curves are linchpins of observational cosmology, and that it is generally assumed that $R_{V}$ variations correctly capture variations in the extinction curve, we argue that systematic errors in the distance ladder from studies of type Ia supernovae and Cepheids may have been underestimated. Moreover, the reddening maps from the Planck experiment are shown to systematically overestimate dust extinction by $\sim$100%, and lack sensitivity to extinction curve variations.
arXiv:1510.01321 [pdf, ps, other]
Interstellar Extinction Curve Variations Toward the Inner Milky Way: A Challenge to Observational Cosmology
David M. Nataf, Oscar A. Gonzalez, Luca Casagrande, Gail Zasowski, Christopher Wegg, Christian Wolf, Andrea Kunder, Javier Alonso-Garcia, Dante Minniti, Marina Rejkuba, Roberto K. Saito, Elena Valenti, Manuela Zoccali, Radoslaw Poleski, Grzegorz Pietrzynski, Jan Skowron, Igor Soszynski, Michal K. Szymanski, Andrzej Udalski, Krzystof Ulaczyk, Lukasz Wyrzykowski
Comments: 16 pages, 13 figures, 3 tables
Subjects: Solar and Stellar Astrophysics (astro-ph.SR); Cosmology and Nongalactic Astrophysics (astro-ph.CO); Astrophysics of Galaxies (astro-ph.GA)

We investigate interstellar extinction curve variations toward $\sim$4 deg$^{2}$ of the inner Milky Way in $VIJK_{s}$ photometry from the OGLE-III and $VVV$ surveys, with supporting evidence from diffuse interstellar bands and $F435W,F625W$ photometry. We obtain independent measurements toward $\sim$2,000 sightlines of $A_{I}$, $E(V-I)$, $E(I-J)$, and $E(J-K_{s})$, with median precision and accuracy of 2%. We find that the variations in the extinction ratios $A_{I}/E(V-I)$, $E(I-J)/E(V-I)$ and $E(J-K_{s})/E(V-I)$ are large (exceeding 20%), significant, and positively correlated, as expected. However, both the mean values and the trends in these extinction ratios are drastically shifted from the predictions of Cardelli and Fitzpatrick, regardless of how $R_{V}$ is varied. Furthermore, we demonstrate that variations in the shape of the extinction curve has at least two degrees of freedom, and not one (e.g. $R_{V}$), which we conform with a principal component analysis. We derive a median value of $<A_{V}/A_{Ks}>=13.44$, which is $\sim$60% higher than the "standard" value. We show that the Wesenheit magnitude $W_{I}=I-1.61(I-J)$ is relatively impervious to extinction curve variations.
Given that these extinction curves are linchpins of observational cosmology, and that it is generally assumed that $R_{V}$ variations correctly capture variations in the extinction curve, we argue that systematic errors in the distance ladder from studies of type Ia supernovae and Cepheids may have been underestimated. Moreover, the reddening maps from the Planck experiment are shown to systematically overestimate dust extinction by $\sim$100%, and lack sensitivity to extinction curve variations.

Space news on Phys.org
I suspect the variance noted by the authors relates more to our ability, or lack thereof, to accurately quantify extinction effects than systematics in cosmic distance ladder measurements.

What is an extinction curve?

An extinction curve is a graphical representation of the amount of light absorbed or scattered by interstellar dust particles as a function of wavelength.

What causes variations in extinction curves?

Variations in extinction curves can be caused by different types and sizes of dust particles, as well as changes in the physical conditions of the interstellar medium.

How do scientists measure extinction curves?

Scientists use a variety of techniques to measure extinction curves, including spectroscopy and photometry, which involve analyzing the amount of light transmitted through or reflected by dust particles at different wavelengths.

What can extinction curves tell us about the universe?

Extinction curves can provide valuable information about the composition and distribution of interstellar dust, as well as the physical processes that shape the structure and evolution of galaxies.

Why are extinction curves important in astronomy?

Extinction curves are important in astronomy because they can help us understand the effects of dust on the appearance of celestial objects, such as stars and galaxies, and they can also provide insights into the history and formation of the universe.