Extra Killing Vector Field in Kerr Spacetime?

In summary, the "no hair" theorem for black holes has been a topic of discussion, with Carter and Robinson proving it with the assumption of axial symmetry in the space-time. Hawking later removed this assumption, but had an unreasonable analyticity assumption. This problem, known as the rigidity conjecture in mathematical literature, is still open. In a related arxiv paper, it is mentioned that Hawking showed the existence of an additional Killing vector-field along the horizon of black holes. This has been elaborated on in other sources, such as the book "General Relativity" by Wald. However, it seems to be a different way of organizing the Killing fields, rather than a completely new concept. Some individuals have forgotten about this or
In a recent thread, the following was posted regarding the "no hair" theorem for black holes:

martinbn said:
Carter and Robinson proved it assuming that the space-time has axial symmetry. Hawking removed that assumption, but had an analyticity, assumption which is unreasonable both mathematically and physically. The problem is still open. In the mathematical literature it is known as the rigidity conjecture.

www.ihes.fr/~vanhove/Slides/Klainerman-ihes-fev2011.pdf

https://arxiv.org/pdf/1501.01587

In the arxiv paper linked to, it says the following (p. 2, after Theorem 1.1):

"Hawking has shown that in addition to the original, stationary, Killing field, which has to be tangent to the event horizon, there must exist, infinitesimally along the horizon and tangent to its generators, an additional Killing vector-field."

This is the first I've heard of this, and it's not elaborated on in the paper. Can anyone explain what this refers to?

Physics news on Phys.org
PeterDonis said:
"Hawking has shown that in addition to the original, stationary, Killing field, which has to be tangent to the event horizon, there must exist, infinitesimally along the horizon and tangent to its generators, an additional Killing vector-field."

This is the first I've heard of this, and it's not elaborated on in the paper. Can anyone explain what this refers to?

Either I have forgotten completely about this, or I also have never heard about it. Page 323 (attached) of 'General Relativity' by Wald also mentions the result. In particular, see the sentence that starts "Finally, in case (iii) ..."

Attachments

• Wald p323.pdf
    95.1 KB · Views: 259
George Jones said:
see the sentence that starts "Finally, in case (iii) ..."

Ah, I get it. It's just a different way of organizing the Killing fields. The way I usually think of them is that we have the stationary KVF ##\xi^a##, which is timelike at infinity, and the axial KVF ##\psi^a##, which has closed orbits. But ##\xi^a## is spacelike on the horizon (it's null at the static limit, not the horizon), and the horizon has to be generated by null geodesics, so there is also a null KVF ##\chi^a## that is tangent to the horizon generators. In my usual way of thinking of these, we have ##\chi^a = \xi^a + \Omega \psi^a##, where ##\Omega## is the "angular velocity of the horizon". But Hawking's proof can be viewed as starting with ##\xi^a## (whose existence follows from the spacetime being stationary), proving the existence of ##\chi^a## (i.e., of a KVF linearly independent of ##\xi^a## that is null on the horizon), and then using those two to construct ##\psi^a## (i.e., proving that the spacetime is axially symmetric).

George Jones said:
Either I have forgotten completely about this, or I also have never heard about it.

Since I've read Wald before, I evidently had seen it before, but had forgotten. :eek:

1. What is an extra killing vector field in Kerr spacetime?

An extra killing vector field in Kerr spacetime is a vector field that satisfies the Killing equation and generates a symmetry of the Kerr metric, but is not a linear combination of the four known Killing vector fields.

2. How is an extra killing vector field related to the Kerr solution?

An extra killing vector field is related to the Kerr solution because it is a special type of symmetry that is unique to the Kerr metric. It allows for additional symmetries and conserved quantities in the spacetime.

3. What are the implications of an extra killing vector field in Kerr spacetime?

The existence of an extra killing vector field in Kerr spacetime has significant implications for the behavior of particles and fields in the spacetime. It can lead to additional conserved quantities and symmetries, which can affect the dynamics and stability of the system.

4. How is an extra killing vector field detected in Kerr spacetime?

An extra killing vector field can be detected by solving the Killing equation and checking if the resulting vector field is a linear combination of the known Killing vector fields. If it is not, then it is an extra killing vector field.

5. What are the applications of studying extra killing vector fields in Kerr spacetime?

Studying extra killing vector fields in Kerr spacetime can provide insights into the behavior of particles and fields in extreme gravitational environments. It can also have applications in black hole physics, astrophysics, and cosmology.