Extracting electrical energy from Orbital motion

camptent
TL;DR Summary
Mimic orbital motion for electrical generative purposes
If the earth has been revolving around the sun almost perpetually, we should mimic this motion for electric generative purposes or is it not feasible?

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by "mimic this motion"? The Earth is going round the Sun, but there isn't any practical way to generate electricity from that, as far as I know.

The Earth is already receiving a lot of free energy from the sun and harvesting that is called solar power, which you can think of a as kind of electrical mechanism since light is an EM-field. For a more direct harvesting of orbital energy you can also consider how the Moon allow for tidal power generation on Earth.

Likes PeroK
camptent said:
If the earth has been revolving around the sun almost perpetually, we should mimic this motion for electric generative purposes or is it not feasible?
Are you referring to leaching orbital energy from the Earth to provide electricity? If so, there's not really a feasible way of doing so.

Drakkith said:
Are you referring to leaching orbital energy from the Earth to provide electricity? If so, there's not really a feasible way of doing so.
Wow this reply just opened up a Pandora's box for me, this would awesome

• Skeptical
Likes Bystander
camptent said:
I wonder what you really mean by that?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pandora's_box

"Pandora opened a jar left in her care containing sickness, death and many other unspecified evils which were then released into the world. Though she hastened to close the container, only one thing was left behind – usually translated as Hope, ...".

When Pandora's box is again opened, the last thing remaining, "hope" escapes.

"... the idiom "to open a Pandora's box", meaning to do or start something that will cause many unforeseen problems. A modern, more colloquial equivalent is "to open a can of worms"."

Likes PeroK
camptent said:
Please don't spend a lot of time trying to figure out how to generate electrical energy from the rotation of the Earth or its orbit around the Sun. I spent a little time on this (before finding PF), and eventually concluded correctly that you cannot do this in the Earth's isolated system. You would need some external system (a giant gorilla the size of the solar system) who could "hold" objects stationary to interact with the orbiting planets. Not going to happen.

It's good to be creative, but you need to learn enough basic science to be able to figure out "non-existence proofs" quickly for creative ideas that will not work. That gives you more time to devote to other ideas that do have a chance of working. :smile:

Likes vanhees71, PeroK, Vanadium 50 and 1 other person
berkeman said:
Please don't spend a lot of time trying to figure out how to generate electrical energy from the rotation of the Earth or its orbit around the Sun. I spent a little time on this (before finding PF), and eventually concluded correctly that you cannot do this in the Earth's isolated system. You would need some external system (a giant gorilla the size of the solar system) who could "hold" objects stationary to interact with the orbiting planets. Not going to happen.

It's good to be creative, but you need to learn enough basic science to be able to figure out "non-existence proofs" quickly for creative ideas that will not work. That gives you more time to devote to other ideas that do have a chance of working. :smile:
So you're responsible for that damned Gorilla? Doesn't he do the cattle mutilations?
Actually weren't there a few experiments (shuttle? Gemini?) that tried to use radial tethers to generate power?

hutchphd said:
Actually weren't there a few experiments (shuttle? Gemini?) that tried to use radial tethers to generate power?
Link?

I think there might be some ways to try to generate power from the solar wind and orbital rotation, but there's that pesky issue of how to get that power down to the Earth's surface (similar to orbital solar power generation).

hutchphd said:
berkeman said:
Link?

I think there might be some ways to try to generate power from the solar wind and orbital rotation, but there's that pesky issue of how to get that power down to the Earth's surface (similar to orbital solar power generation).
Shuttle: https://pwg.gsfc.nasa.gov/Education/wtether.html

But:
1. This would only produce electricity for the spacecraft on the other end of the wire.
2. It would sap/convert it from orbital energy so I'm not entirely sure I see the point. But it was just an experiment.

On a larger scale, such an idea could conceivably harness earth's rotation or orbital energy (or the Moon's?), but I don't see how. Drop a tether from the moon, perhaps? Pretty sci-fi.

• Informative
Likes berkeman
I think the "immediate use" of an electrodynamic theter is to work as an orbit raising mechanics, e.g. use solar power to more or less directly counter low orbit drag without use of any propellant. My current understanding of this technology is that it is not without problems and so far has proven too complicated to operate reliable as the main boost mechanism on a LEO satellite.

Likes Ibix

1. How can electrical energy be extracted from orbital motion?

Electrical energy can be extracted from orbital motion using electromagnetic induction. This involves moving a conductor through a magnetic field, which generates an electric current. In the case of orbital motion, this can be achieved by placing a conductive material, such as a wire loop, within the magnetic field generated by the orbital motion.

2. What are some potential sources of orbital motion for extracting electrical energy?

Potential sources of orbital motion for extracting electrical energy include satellites in Earth's orbit, planets orbiting stars, and moons orbiting planets. These objects all move through a magnetic field, which can be utilized to generate electrical energy through electromagnetic induction.

3. How efficient is the process of extracting electrical energy from orbital motion?

The efficiency of extracting electrical energy from orbital motion can vary depending on various factors such as the strength of the magnetic field, the speed of the orbital motion, and the design of the system. Generally, electromagnetic induction is a relatively efficient process for generating electricity, but the specific efficiency of extracting energy from orbital motion would need to be determined through experimentation and analysis.

4. What are some potential applications of extracting electrical energy from orbital motion?

Some potential applications of extracting electrical energy from orbital motion include powering satellites and spacecraft, providing energy for space missions, and generating electricity in space-based habitats or colonies. This technology could also be used to supplement or replace traditional solar power systems in space.

5. Are there any challenges or limitations to extracting electrical energy from orbital motion?

Some challenges and limitations of extracting electrical energy from orbital motion include the need for a strong magnetic field, the complexity of designing systems to capture and convert this energy, and the potential for interference or inefficiencies in the process. Additionally, the amount of energy that can be extracted from orbital motion may be limited by the speed and trajectory of the orbiting object.