Extraneous Solutions: Which step did it come from?

• Thread starter yucheng
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Quadratic
In summary, the extraneous solution ##x=-2## originated from the final step of the solution, where the solutions for ##x## were substituted back into the equations. This is because the equation used to find ##x## in that step (6) did not allow for a negative RHS, but the equation used in the final step (7) did. It is important to check the validity of all solutions when using the quadratic formula, as it can introduce extra solutions. However, completing the square itself does not add extra solutions, it is usually squaring that does so. By using the identity ##x^2=|x|^2##, we can avoid this issue and
yucheng
Homework Statement
Solve the following:
Relevant Equations
##x^2-3|x|-2=0##
I used the identity ##\sqrt{x^2}=|x|## and completed the square as follows:

\begin{align*}
x^2-3|x|-2&=0 \tag1\\
\sqrt{x^4}-3\sqrt{x^2}-2&=0 \tag2\\
(\sqrt{x^2}-\frac{3}{2})^2-\frac{9}{4}-2&=0 \tag3\\
(\sqrt{x^2}-\frac{3}{2})^2&=\frac{17}{4} \tag4\\
\sqrt{x^2}-\frac{3}{2}&=\pm\frac{\sqrt{17}}{2} \tag5\\
\sqrt{x^2}&=\frac{3 \pm\sqrt{17}}{2} \tag6\\
x&= \pm\frac{3 \pm\sqrt{17}}{2} \tag7
\end{align*}

After substituting the solutions back into the equations, the solutions are:##x=±\frac{3+\sqrt{17}}{2}##

Which step did the extraneous solution ##x=±\frac{3−\sqrt{17}}{2}## originate? The method I used to search for this step is by checking from which step on did the extraneous solution satisfy the equation. I tried (5) but it was not. Or, was it because I used the identity ##\sqrt{x^2}=|x|##? It seems unlikely...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
From 4 to 5. Taking the square root and using ##\pm## can come with extra solutions.
Oh, and you didn't take the square root on the right side in (5).

I would use ##x^2## = ##|x|^2## and solve the quadratic equation in ##|x|##, that's a bit less awkward to write and it's clearer that it needs to be positive.

mfb said:
From 4 to 5. Taking the square root and using ##\pm## can come with extra solutions.

Does this mean that in general, taking square roots will come up with extra solutions, as in completing the square on any other polynomial? From what I know, completing the square does not lead to extraneous solutions.

Example:
\begin{align*}
x^2+2x+3&=0 \\
(x+1)^2-1+3&=0 \\
(x+1)^2&=2 \\
(x+1)&=\pm\sqrt{2} \\
x&=1 \pm\sqrt{2}
\end{align*}

mfb said:
Oh, and you didn't take the square root on the right side in (5).

Uh oh, I made a mistake. Step (5) is correct, but I made a jump at step (4). I have corrected it.

Let me try your ##x^2=|x|^2##... Indeed it's neater.

Last edited:
yucheng said:
Homework Statement:: Solve the following:
Relevant Equations:: ##x^2-3|x|-2=0##
My approach would be to look for solutions for ##x > 0## and ##x < 0## separately. Then nothing can go wrong!

Likes Delta2 and FactChecker
PeroK said:
My approach would be to look for solutions for ##x > 0## and ##x < 0## separately. Then nothing can go wrong!
At least nothing can go wrong as long as you remember to compare your two solutions in each case with your initial assumption about x. As usual, when the quadratic formula is used, it is necessary to check the validity of the two solutions when other constraints are considered.

FactChecker said:
At least nothing can go wrong as long as you remember to compare your two solutions in each case with your initial assumption about x. As usual, when the quadratic formula is used, it is necessary to check the validity of the two solutions when other constraints are considered.
That's true.

The original formula is symmetric around x=0, so all solutions will be in pairs anyway.

Completing the square isn't changing anything so this doesn't add extra solutions.
With the fixed (4) it's now easy to see why taking the square root adds extra solutions. ##\sqrt{x^2}\geq 0##, therefore ##\sqrt{x^2}-\frac 3 2 \geq -\frac 3 2##. It can't be ##\frac {-\sqrt{17}}{2} < -2##, only the positive option is meaningful.

Likes pai535, yucheng and FactChecker
yucheng said:
Which step did the extraneous solution x=±3−172 originate?
The final step. Equation (6) still doesn't allow a solution in which the RHS is negative, but equation (7) does.
yucheng said:
Does this mean that in general, taking square roots will come up with extra solutions
Not in general. It is usually squaring that introduces extra solutions.
Here, it is that you turned ##\sqrt {x^2}## into ##x## instead of ##|x|##,

Likes yucheng

1. What are extraneous solutions?

Extraneous solutions are solutions that appear to be valid solutions to an equation, but when substituted back into the original equation, do not satisfy the equation.

2. How do extraneous solutions occur?

Extraneous solutions occur when we perform a mathematical operation that is not allowed in the original equation, resulting in an incorrect solution.

3. What is the most common cause of extraneous solutions?

The most common cause of extraneous solutions is when we take the square root of both sides of an equation that contains a variable raised to an even power, such as x^2.

4. How can we identify and avoid extraneous solutions?

To identify and avoid extraneous solutions, we must carefully check our work and make sure that all mathematical operations are allowed in the original equation. We can also check our solutions by substituting them back into the original equation to see if they satisfy the equation.

5. Can extraneous solutions be avoided altogether?

In some cases, extraneous solutions can be avoided by using alternative methods of solving equations, such as factoring or graphing. However, it is always important to carefully check our work to ensure that we do not accidentally introduce extraneous solutions.