Extremely confusing vector addition problem

In summary, a vector addition problem involves adding two or more vectors to find their resultant vector. These problems can be confusing if there are multiple vectors with different magnitudes and directions or if vector components are in different coordinate systems. To solve these problems, break down each vector into its components and use the appropriate mathematical equations to find the resultant vector. Using a calculator is allowed, but it is important to understand the concepts and double check calculations. Tips for solving these problems include drawing a diagram and practicing to become more comfortable with different types of vector addition problems.
mikky05v

Homework Statement

Suppose a plane flies at a constant groundspeed of 500 miles per hour due east and encounters a 50 mile-per-hour wind from the northwest. Both the airspeed and the compass direction must change to for the plane to maintain its groundspeed and eastward direction. Find the airspeed to maintain its groundspeed and eastward direction. Round your answer to two decimal places.

Homework Equations

A vector U=<x,y>
||U|| means the length of U = √(x^2 +y^2). vectors can also be written as U = ||U||(cosθi, sinθj)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm really not sure where to start. i think it is going to end up being similar to https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=709519 my other problem question but I can't figure out what to do with this one.

I tried naming the vectors V is the new direction of the plane, V1 is the original direction along the X axis to the right, V2 is the wind direction which is at a 45 angle in the 4th quad because it is coming from the north west.

Going with this logic I did V=V1+V2
V1= 500(cos0i+sin0j)
V2= 50(cos315i+sin315j)

distribute the speeds, combine like terms and factor out i and j
V= <(500cos0+50cos315)i + (500sin0+50sin315)j> = <535.36i + (-35.36)j>

Then I plugged them into the distance forumla to find ||V|| which should be my speed and got
√535.36^2 + (-35.36)^2 = 536.53 which isn't an option.

I think my issue could be in the angles I'm using as that was kind of an assumption or maybe it's in my comprehension of air speed and ground speed.

second attempt
ok so I tried to use the V_{over ground} = V_{through the medium} + V_{wind or current} to find my answer

I shortened them to Vo=Vt+Vw
Vt=Vo-Vw
Vo = 500(cos0i+sin0i)
Vt = ||Vt||(cos∂i+sin∂j)
Vw = 50(cos315i+sin315j)

Vt = < (500cos0-50cos315)i + (500sin0-50sin315)j > = <429.29i +35.36j>
||Vt|| = sqrt ( 429.29^2 +35.36^2) = 430.74

That's not one of the possible answers. Are my angles wrong or am i missing something else?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
mikky05v said:

Homework Statement

Suppose a plane flies at a constant groundspeed of 500 miles per hour due east and encounters a 50 mile-per-hour wind from the northwest. Both the airspeed and the compass direction must change to for the plane to maintain its groundspeed and eastward direction. Find the airspeed to maintain its groundspeed and eastward direction. Round your answer to two decimal places.

Homework Equations

A vector U=<x,y>
||U|| means the length of U = √(x^2 +y^2). vectors can also be written as U = ||U||(cosθi, sinθj)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm really not sure where to start. i think it is going to end up being similar to https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=709519 my other problem question but I can't figure out what to do with this one.

I tried naming the vectors V is the new direction of the plane, V1 is the original direction along the X axis to the right, V2 is the wind direction which is at a 45 angle in the 4th quad because it is coming from the north west.

Going with this logic I did V=V1+V2
V1= 500(cos0i+sin0j)
V2= 50(cos315i+sin315j)

distribute the speeds, combine like terms and factor out i and j
V= <(500cos0+50cos315)i + (500sin0+50sin315)j> = <535.36i + (-35.36)j>

Then I plugged them into the distance forumla to find ||V|| which should be my speed and got
√535.36^2 + (-35.36)^2 = 536.53 which isn't an option.

I think my issue could be in the angles I'm using as that was kind of an assumption or maybe it's in my comprehension of air speed and ground speed.

second attempt
ok so I tried to use the V_{over ground} = V_{through the medium} + V_{wind or current} to find my answer

I shortened them to Vo=Vt+Vw
Vt=Vo-Vw
Vo = 500(cos0i+sin0i)
Vt = ||Vt||(cos∂i+sin∂j)
Vw = 50(cos315i+sin315j)

Vt = < (500cos0-50cos315)i + (500sin0-50sin315)j > = <429.29i +35.36j>
||Vt|| = sqrt ( 429.29^2 +35.36^2) = 430.74

That's not one of the possible answers. Are my angles wrong or am i missing something else?
You somehow got the wrong number for the x-component of Vt. It comes out to 464 mph.

1. What is a vector addition problem?

A vector addition problem is a mathematical problem where two or more vectors are added together to find their resultant vector.

2. What makes a vector addition problem extremely confusing?

A vector addition problem can be extremely confusing if there are multiple vectors with different magnitudes and directions involved, or if the problem involves vector components in different coordinate systems.

3. How do I solve an extremely confusing vector addition problem?

The first step in solving an extremely confusing vector addition problem is to break down each vector into its components. Then, use the appropriate mathematical equations to add the components and find the resultant vector. Be sure to pay attention to the direction and magnitude of each vector.

4. Can I use a calculator to solve an extremely confusing vector addition problem?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve an extremely confusing vector addition problem. However, it is important to understand the concepts behind vector addition and double check your calculations to ensure accuracy.

5. Are there any tips or tricks for solving extremely confusing vector addition problems?

One tip for solving extremely confusing vector addition problems is to draw a diagram and label all the vectors with their magnitudes and directions. This can help you visualize the problem and make it easier to add the components. Additionally, it is important to practice and familiarize yourself with different types of vector addition problems to become more comfortable with them.