F is an isomorphism from G onto itself,...., show f(x) = x^-1

• Thread starter fishturtle1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Isomorphism
In summary, this proof shows that if there is a homomorphism from a finite abelian group to itself, then the group is abelian.
fishturtle1
Homework Statement
i) Prove that a group is abelian iff ##f : G \rightarrow G## defined as ##f(a) = a^{-1}## is a homomorphism.

ii) Let ##f : G \rightarrow G## be an isomorphism from a finite group ##G## to itself. If ##f## has no nontrivial fixed points (i.e. ##f(x) = x \Rightarrow x = e##) and if ##f \circ f## is the identity function, then for all ##x \in G##, ##f(x) = x^{-1}##, and ##G## is abelian. [Hint: Show for ##g \in G##, there exists ##x \in G## such that ##g = xf(x)^{-1}##]
Relevant Equations
i) Proof: Let ##a, b \in G##

##(\Rightarrow)## If ##G## is abelian, then

##
\begin{align*}
f(a)f(b) &= a^{-1}b^{-1} \\
&= b^{-1}a^{-1} \\
&= (ab)^{-1} \\
&= f(ab) \\
\end{align*}
##
So ##f## is a homomorphism.

##(\Leftarrow)## If ##f## is a homomorphism, then

##
\begin{align*}
f(a^{-1})f(b^{-1}) &= f(a^{-1}b^{-1}) \\
ab &= (a^{-1}b^{-1})^{-1} \\
ab &= ba \\
\end{align*}
##

So ##G## is abelian. []

For ii) I'm stuck. I tried to show the hint first: Let ##g \in G##. Then there is ##x \in G## such that ##f(x) = g##. We have

$$g = f(x) = f(xxx^{-1}) = f(x)f(x)f(x)^{-1} = f(x)^2f(x)^{-1}$$

and I'm trying to show ##g = xf(x)^{-1}##. I know I'm not using the fact that there's no nontrivial fixed points, but I'm not sure how. How to proceed?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Consider ##x \longmapsto xf(x)^{-1}##. Can you show that it is bijective?

• Informative
Likes fishturtle1
fresh_42 said:
Consider ##x \longmapsto xf(x)^{-1}##. Can you show that it is bijective?
I think so. We know ##G## is finite and we're mapping from ##G## to ##G## so its enough to show the map ##x \mapsto xf(x)^{-1}## is one to one. Let ##x, y \in G## and observe,

##
\begin{align*}
xf(x)^{-1} &= yf(y)^{-1} \\
y^{-1}x &= f(y)^{-1}f(x) \\
y^{-1}x &= f(y^{-1}x) \\
y^{-1}x &= e \\
x &= y \\
\end{align*}
##

This shows the map is one to one and we can conclude its a bijection. This gives us the hint, that for any ##g \in G## there is ##x \in G## such that ##g = xf(x)^{-1}##.

Likes fresh_42
Ok and to finish the problem:

ii) Proof: Let ##g \in G##. We've shown there exists ##x \in G## such that ##g = xf(x)^{-1}##. Then ##f(g) = f(xf(x)^{-1}) = f(x)f(f(x^{-1})) = f(x)x^{-1}##. But that means ##f(g)g = e = gf(g)## i.e. ##f(g) = g^{-1}##. Now by i), this shows ##G## is abelian. []

Thank you for your help on this!

Likes fresh_42

1. What is an isomorphism?

An isomorphism is a mathematical function that preserves the structure and relationships between elements in a group. In simpler terms, it is a function that maps elements from one group onto another group in a way that maintains the same properties and operations.

2. Why is it important for F to be an isomorphism from G onto itself?

It is important for F to be an isomorphism from G onto itself because it guarantees that the group G is isomorphic to itself, meaning that the group has a symmetry or self-similarity that can be preserved by the function F. This allows for easier analysis and understanding of the group's properties and operations.

3. What does it mean for f(x) to equal x^-1?

When f(x) = x^-1, it means that the function F maps every element x in G to its inverse x^-1 in the same group. This is a special property of isomorphisms, where elements and their inverses are paired together in a one-to-one correspondence.

4. How do you prove that f(x) = x^-1 using an isomorphism?

To prove that f(x) = x^-1 using an isomorphism, you can show that the function F satisfies the definition of an isomorphism, which includes being one-to-one, onto, and preserving the group structure and operations. Then, you can use the fact that F is an isomorphism from G onto itself to show that f(x) = x^-1 for all elements x in G.

5. What are the applications of isomorphisms in science?

Isomorphisms have many applications in science, particularly in fields such as chemistry, physics, and computer science. In chemistry, isomorphisms are used to study the symmetry and properties of molecules. In physics, they are used to describe the symmetries of physical systems. In computer science, they are used in data compression and encryption algorithms. Isomorphisms also have applications in other areas such as group theory, graph theory, and topology.