Fabrication of Single GaAs Solar Cell by MBE

In summary, the conversation is about the fabrication of a single junction GaAs solar cell using MBE technique. The project involves testing thermal evaporation and photo lithography on other samples and determining how to connect the bottom contact layer with the top electrode layer for maximum current in I V characteristic measurements. The conversation also touches on the material, thickness, and contact resistance needed for the cell, as well as the use of AR coating and potential toxicity of As.
JayKo
Fabrication of Single Junction GaAs Solar Cell by MBE

Hi All,

My project is to produce 1 single piece of GaAs solar cell (about the size of 1cm square) by MBE technique. I have gone through some read up and simulation software software called atlas by silvaco. for time being, I am testing on other sample to do the thermal evaporation and photo lithography. how ever my question is.

how do i connect the bottom contact layer with the top electrode layer so as to achieve maximum current for my I V characteristic measurement.

I have some very rough sample shown in the picture below, and I try to search through the net but to no avail. I would be most grateful if you guys could give me some valuable inputs.
thanks
Jayko
http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/4448/solarcell.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The 2 fine wires on top is the gold wires (cathode) the bottom is connected to copper foil (anode)

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
It this a multi-junction cell? Is the substrate also GaAs, or something else? Can you draw a simple schematic of the device geometry?

Gokul43201 said:
It this a multi-junction cell? Is the substrate also GaAs, or something else? Can you draw a simple schematic of the device geometry?

sorry for the incomplete info.
is a single junction with GaAs (100) as substrate
here is the picture.
as for the dopant concentration, and layers thickness. it is still yet to finalize, as I'm still working on dummy sample set. thanks.

http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/1641/76048936.jpg

you need to minimize the contact resistance. you might make separate contacts to both front and back and keep trying until your contact resistance is few ohms. is there AR coating on the small wires, or do you need to solder to the bigger bus bar.

Hi Kevin75081,

Thanks, so the point is to trying out the materials and thickness to have a contact resistance of few ohms? I will first do without AR coating and measure the contact resistance. right now the contact to the bus bar is by soldering to a 0.02 diameter gold wire.

without the AR coating is because I have yet to final the method to align the AR coating mask with the grid mask.

JayKo said:
Hi All,

My project is to produce 1 single piece of GaAs solar cell (about the size of 1cm square) by MBE technique. I have gone through some read up and simulation software software called atlas by silvaco. for time being, I am testing on other sample to do the thermal evaporation and photo lithography. how ever my question is.

how do i connect the bottom contact layer with the top electrode layer so as to achieve maximum current for my I V characteristic measurement.

I have some very rough sample shown in the picture below, and I try to search through the net but to no avail. I would be most grateful if you guys could give me some valuable inputs.
thanks
Jayko
http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/4448/solarcell.jpg

The 2 fine wires on top is the gold wires (cathode) the bottom is connected to copper foil (anode)

Is As toxic?

What is the purpose of fabricating a single GaAs solar cell using MBE?

The purpose of fabricating a single GaAs solar cell using MBE (Molecular Beam Epitaxy) is to create a highly efficient and durable solar cell that can convert sunlight into electricity. GaAs is a highly efficient semiconductor material that is commonly used in solar cells due to its ability to convert a large portion of the solar spectrum into electricity.

How does MBE work in the fabrication of a single GaAs solar cell?

MBE is a process in which thin layers of materials are deposited onto a substrate in a vacuum chamber. In the fabrication of a single GaAs solar cell, the layers of GaAs and other materials are deposited one on top of the other, forming a multi-layered structure that creates a p-n junction. This junction is responsible for converting sunlight into electricity.

What are the advantages of using MBE in the fabrication of a single GaAs solar cell?

There are several advantages to using MBE in the fabrication of a single GaAs solar cell. Firstly, MBE allows for precise control over the deposition process, resulting in a highly uniform and defect-free structure. This leads to higher efficiency and reliability of the solar cell. Additionally, MBE allows for the creation of thin layers, which reduces material waste and makes the solar cell more lightweight.

What are the limitations of using MBE in the fabrication of a single GaAs solar cell?

One of the main limitations of using MBE in the fabrication of a single GaAs solar cell is the high cost of the equipment and materials. MBE also requires a high level of expertise and precision in order to achieve the desired results. Additionally, the process is time-consuming and can only produce small batches of solar cells at a time.

What is the current state of research on the fabrication of single GaAs solar cells using MBE?

The research on the fabrication of single GaAs solar cells using MBE is ongoing, with a focus on improving efficiency and reducing costs. Some recent developments include the use of alternative materials, such as GaInP and InGaAs, to create multi-junction solar cells with even higher efficiency. Researchers are also exploring new techniques to improve the deposition process and reduce production time.