Factor (Quotient) Space definitions.

In summary, the concept of factor spaces in algebra can be confusing, but there are two ways to define them that are equivalent. One way is to use equivalence classes of a group G, denoted as [g]_{R}. The other way is to use left cosets of a subgroup H. These two definitions are closely linked and can be related through the use of homomorphisms and normal subgroups.
wotanub
I'm learning algebra by myself and this concept is confusing me. Please excuse me if I define anything wrong... I've never expressed myself in this language before.

Lets say we have a group [itex]G[/itex] and a group [itex]G'[/itex] and there exists a homomorphism [itex]R: G → G'[/itex] and for any element [itex]g \in G[/itex], the equivalence class of g is denoted as [itex][g]_{R} = \{h \in G \:|\: f(h) = f(g)\}[/itex]

I understand the factor space [itex]G/R[/itex] as the set of all equivalence classes of [itex]G[/itex]:
[itex]G/R = \{[g]_{R} \:|\: g \in G\}[/itex]

but another way I always see this explained (that I'm not clear on) is if we have a subgroup [itex]H \subset G[/itex] then we can define a factor space with left cosets.

[itex]G/H = \{gH \:|\: g \in G\}[/itex]

How are these definitions stating the same thing? Does it have something to do with [itex]H[/itex] being the kernel of a homomorphism? I don't really understand what cosets have to do with equivalence relations.

Physics news on Phys.org
The two are closely linked.

Take the factor group approach. The quotient set is defined as ##G/H = \{gH~\vert~g\in H\}## with ##H## a subgroup. This ##H## has to be normal if you want ##G/H## to have a natural group structure, so we will do this. This actually corresponds to the following equivalence relation: we define ##g\sim h## iff ##g^{-1}h\in H##. The equivalence classes correspond exactly to the cosets. That is: ##[g]_\sim = gH##. So the coset definition actually does correspond to an equivalence relation.

Now, the link with homomorphisms is the following:
Given a homomorphism ##f:G\rightarrow G^\prime##, then we set ##gRh## iff ##f(g) = f(h)##. But we can take ##H = \textrm{Ker}(f) = \{h\in G~\vert~ f(h) = e\}##. This is a normal subgroup. Then we see that
[tex]f(g) = f(h)~\Leftrightarrow f(g^{-1}h) = e~\Leftrightarrow g^{-1}h\in H~\Leftrightarrow g\sim h[/tex]
So this equivalence relation is nothing more than the one defined above.

Conversely, if we are given a normal subgroup ##H## of ##G##, then we can always find a group ##G^\prime## and a homomorphism ##f:G\rightarrow G^\prime## such that ##H = \textrm{Ker}(f)##. Indeed, just take ##G^\prime = G/H## and take ##f(g) = gH##.

So the two methods outlined by you are equivalent.

Likes 1 person

1. What is a factor space?

A factor space, also known as a quotient space, is a mathematical concept that refers to the set of all equivalence classes of elements in a given space. It is obtained by partitioning the original space into smaller subsets based on a defined equivalence relation.

2. How is a factor space different from a vector space?

A factor space is a type of vector space, but it has additional structure due to the partitioning of its elements. Unlike a vector space, a factor space may not have a defined operation for addition or multiplication, and its elements may not necessarily be vectors.

3. What are the applications of factor spaces?

Factor spaces have various applications in mathematics, including group theory, topology, and linear algebra. They are also used in fields such as physics, computer science, and economics to model complex systems and analyze data.

4. How do you define a factor space?

A factor space is defined by choosing an equivalence relation on a given space and then partitioning the space into equivalence classes based on this relation. The factor space is then the set of all equivalence classes, with a defined structure and operations.

5. Can factor spaces have different dimensions?

Yes, factor spaces can have different dimensions depending on the original space and the chosen equivalence relation. For example, a factor space of a three-dimensional vector space may have a lower dimensional structure if the equivalence relation identifies certain elements as equivalent. However, in some cases, the dimension of the factor space may be the same as the original space.