Facts About India to Make Every Indian Proud

IN SUMMARY, the three co-founders of Sun Microsystems are Vinod Khosla, Vinod Dahm, and Sabeer Bhatia, the third richest man in the world is Aziz Premji, and the founder and creator of Hotmail is Sabeer Bhatia. The president of AT & T-Bell Labs is Arun Netravalli, the GM of Hewlett Packard is Rajiv Gupta, the new MTD of Windows 2000 is Sanjay Tejwrika, the Chief Executives of CitiBank, Mckensey & Stanchart are Victor Menezes, Rajat
sid_galt said:
First of all, I never said I admired the British Constitution.
Secondly, the Indian Constitution is not exactly based on England's, it is a mixture of several different constitutions.

read some of the debates that took place during that time of formation:

http://parliamentofindia.nic.in/ls/debates/vol7p31a.htm

There are two paragraphs there by Prof. K. T. Shah, that I think in part explains my opinion.

Physics news on Phys.org
the persons like u are nothing in my eyes...which don't have even a trace respect for their nation..if ppls like u increase there ,,then chances of getting India colonised will mount to peaks..

sid_galt said:
These people are not the talent of India. It's their own talent. India cannot and does not own any part of them or their ability.

You wouldn't expect them to sacrifice their own happiness for India or more correctly, the one billion population of India?

That is called selfishness. Of course, there have been always two kinds of people throughout history, one kind who didn't give a damn about their country or their people and just kept following money, but history doesn't record them, what history records is the actions of people who for the good of the society sacrifice their lives, who die so others may live. Why is Bhagat Singh remembered while others aren't in India? Because he died so that a day of freedom might come for his brothers and sisters.

Last edited:
he may not understand this...these ppls believe in Materialism...i really feel very sorry for such ppls :redface:

Biology said:
which don't have even a trace respect for their nation

Respect is something to be earned, not blindly given. Blind patriotism is extremely dangerous.
You say that India is great. Can you provide me with a reason?

Biology said:
if ppls like u increase there ,,then chances of getting India colonised will mount to peaks..
How do you define colonisation?

read some of the debates that took place during that time of formation:

http://parliamentofindia.nic.in/ls/debates/vol7p31a.htm

There are two paragraphs there by Prof. K. T. Shah, that I think in part explains my opinion.

I have read all the paragraphs by Prof. Shah. I see nothing that contradicts what I have said. It is only proving that the Indian constitution does not imitate its British counterpart.

"I have read all the paragraphs by Prof. Shah. I see nothing that contradicts what I have said. It is only proving that the Indian constitution does not imitate its British counterpart."

That's why I said in part. The part i agree with is when he describes how the English constitution can't apply to India. But that's what happened, isn't it? We went ahead and adopted most of the English consitution (you have to keep in mind here, that the English constitution isn't worded, so when i say exact, i mean the basic ideology, the Indian constitution also took some parts from the US.)

i never knew ppls like you too exist ...well u are much more dangerous than the most corrupt politicians of India...be away from young minds...u can really infuse the poison in their minds...do u really love or respect India for anything,,simply for anything?

klusener said:
Of course, there have been always two kinds of people throughout history, one kind who didn't give a damn about their country or their people and just kept following money, but history doesn't record them, what history records is the actions of people who for the good of the society sacrifice their lives, who die so others may live. Why is Bhagat Singh remembered while others aren't in India? Because he died so that a day of freedom might come for his brothers and sisters.

Actually history does record the actions of those who live for themselves, for their happiness and fulfillment.

Have you heard about Thomas Edison? Niels Bohr? Paul Dirac?

I never heard them saying that the primary goal of their research was the benefit of others, not their own satisfaction.

And selfishness is not about money. It is first and primarly about one's own happiness. Money is a secondary consideration.

hey u ...These did not help even their own country but helped the whole world i believe...these were really gr8 ppl...don't compare them to urself...take example of Einstein,Hawking...

Biology said:
do u really love or respect India for anything,,simply for anything?

Why, yes primarly the importance placed on education, honesty, truth, justice.

Just because I don't like parts of India doesn't mean I hate everything Indian

ahhhhh...u know what are u saying...in India importance on education is not much i believe...well i know Bihar and up

as far as I know Britain doesn't have a written constitution

Biology said:
TO MAKE EVERY INDIAN PROUD

Q. Who is the co-founder of Sun Microsystems?
A. Vinod Khosla

Q. Who is the creator of Pentium chip (needs no introduction as 90% of the
today's computers run on it)?
A. Vinod Dahm

Q. Who is the third richest man on the world?
A. According to the latest report on Fortune Magazine, it is Aziz Premji,
who is the CEO of Wipro Industries. The Sultan of
Brunei is at 6th position now.

Q. Who is the founder and creator of Hotmail (Hotmail is world's No.1 web
x-udd email program)?
A. Sabeer Bhatia

Q. Who is the president of AT & T-Bell Labs (AT & T-Bell Labs is the creator
of program languages such as C, C++, Unix
to name a few)?
A. Arun Netravalli

Q. Who is the GM of Hewlett Packard?
A. Rajiv Gupta

Q. Who is the new MTD (Microsoft Testing Director) of Windows 2000,
responsible to iron out all initial problems?
A. Sanjay Tejwrika

Q. Who are the Chief Executives of CitiBank, Mckensey & Stanchart?
A. Victor Menezes, Rajat Gupta, and Rana Talwar.

We Indians are the wealthiest among all ethnic groups in America, even
faring better than the whites and the natives.

There are 3.22 millions of Indians in USA (1.5% of population). YET,

* 38% of doctors in USA are Indians.

* 12% scientists in USA are Indians.

* 36% of NASA scientists are Indians.

* 34% of Microsoft employees are Indians.

* 28% of IBM employees are Indians.

* 17% of I! NTEL sci entists are Indians.

* 13% of XEROX employees are Indians.

Some of the following facts may be known to you. These facts were recently
published in a German magazine, which deals with WORLD HISTORY FACTS ABOUT
INDIA.

1. India never invaded any country in her last 1000 years of history.

2. India invented the Number system. Zero was invented by Aryabhatta.

3. The world's first University was established in Takshila in 700BC. More
than 10,500 students from all over the world
studied more than 60 subjects. The University of Nalanda built in the
4th century BC was one of the greatest achievements
of ancient India in the field of education.

4. According to the Forbes magazine, Sanskrit is the most suitable language
for computer software.

5. Ayurveda is the earliest school of medicine known to humans.

6. Although western media portray modern images of India as poverty striken
and underdeveloped through political
corruption, India was once the richest empire on earth.

7. The art of navigation was born in the river Sindh 5000 years ago. The
very word "Navigation" is derived from the Sanskrit
word NAVGATIH.

8. The value of pi was first calculated by Budhayana, and he explained the
concept of what is now known as the Pythagorean
Theorem.British scholars have last year (1999) officially published that
Budhayan's works dates to the 6th Century which
is long before the European mathematicians.

9. Algebra, trigonometry and calculus came from India. Quadratic equations
were by Sridharacharya in the 11th Century; the
largestnumbers the Greeks and the Romans used were 106 whereas Indians
used numbers as big as 53.

10. According to the Gemological Institute of America, up until! 1896, India
was the only source of diamonds to the world.

11. USA based IEEE has proved what has been a century-old suspicion amongst
academics that the pioneer of wireless
communication was Professor Jagdeesh Bose and not Marconi.

12. The earliest reservoir and dam for irrigation was built in Saurashtra.

13. Chess was invented in India.

14. Sushruta is the father of surgery. 2600 years ago he and health
scientists of his time conducted surgeries like cesareans,
cataract, fractures and urinary stones. Usage of anaesthesia was well
known in ancient India.

15. When many cultures in the world were only nomadic forest dwellers over
P00 years ago, Indians established Harappan
culture in Sindhu Valley (Indus Valley Civilisation).

16. The place value system, the decimal system was developed in India in 100
1/4.

Quotes about India.

We owe a lot to the Indians, who taught us how to count, without which no
worthwhile scientific discovery could have been made. Albert Einstein.

India is the cradle of the human race, the birthplace of human speech,the
mother of history, the grandmother of legend and the great grand mother of
tradition. Mark Twain.

If there is one place on the face of Earth where all dreams of living men
have found a home from the very earliest days when man began the dream of
existence, it is India. French scholar Romain Rolland.

India conquered and dominated China culturally for 20 centuries without ever
having to send a single soldier across her border. Hu Shih (former Chinese
ambassador to USA)

ALL OF THE ABOVE IS JUST THE TIP OF THE ICEBERG, THE LIST COULD BE ENDLESS.

BUT, if we don't see! even a glimpse of that great India in the India that
we see today, it clearly means that we are not working up to our potential;
and that if we do, we could once again be an evershining and inspiring
country setting a bright path for rest of the world to follow.

I hope you enjoyed it and work towards the welfare of INDIA.

Say proudly, I AM AN INDIAN.

Such blatant nationalism/ racism is not welcomed in my opinion.

It is not racism or nationalism. It is the voice of a young man who is proud of his country. It is like American women wearing bikinis with American flag on them or Brits wearing a tshirt with the British flag on them. Indians don't show their patriotism materialistically, thus the only way they can is by using their words and I for one don't have any problem with this topic.

hey,did u guys forget sayendra bose and chandrasekar?

btw wats wrong with this post??
This guy is just proud of his countrymen.

Having some of the richest people doesn't imply a state of wealth. It implies a state of massive economical imbalance.

And where did you get the statistics about doctors and such?

Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it. -- GBS

Let me first clarify one thing, I am an indian living in India and i have no problems whatsoever with anyone expressing their love for their country. But some of the posts made in this thread are disturbing and i think the author of the thread(first post) seems to be asking for it. You like your country, you want to show it off, please do so in newspapers or forums that are meant to be oriented towards such a drive(If you don't know, you can send letters to the editor and if its good enough it will be published). Posting this topic in a general discussion forum (and i stress "general") was a bad idea. General doesn't mean anything , it means discussion on topics that are more relevant from global point of view (global in the sense , kind of people involved here, which means in the case people from all over the world).

I would have more appreciated, if this thread was something like,

WHY SHOULD INDIANS BE PROUD?
<blah>
<blah>

Does anyone has suggestions how we (as students and future citizens of india) can help increase the number of such successes?

This topic would have generated more positive points fromthe people, we could have got to compare the educational model here with the world. (To indians : our educational model isn't as bad as one might think, it can compete well with many countries, its only the way the model is implemented that's bad).

There are many aspects of india, that could have been discussed here and this discussion could have been fruitful for every indian. But unfortunately so far the discussion has been on the lines of "my daddy sucks **** better than yours". (I usually don't prefer to use slangs but can't help it right now).

Please be productive, that's what discussion forums are for.

-- AI

The best people are in Canada!

Come visit Canada, and people will treat like Kings and Queens. A multicultural country, you can't beat that.

Note: We Canadians apologize and thank people for the smallest things. A Canadian would apologize if he/she almost got in your way. A Canadian would say thanks to the cashier when he/she gives the receipt to the customer.

I have talked to lots of people who came from outside of Canada, and most of say its the nicest place in the world. There's like no bullying compared to what I hear in the US and Europe.

I'm happy to be a Canadian, but I'll be sure to move to Quebec when it separates.

Quebec has tuition fees frozen at $2000! The best health care system in the WORLD, which is why they want to separate (the rest of Canada is jealous and trying to take money out of it). Day care is only $7 a day! They have a mini-Paris in Quebec City. They create the best hockey players and goalies!

What's not to like?

I thank the cashier for a receipt. I must be Canadian. :biggrin: HOC-KEY ! :approve:

JasonRox said:
The best people are in Canada!

Come visit Canada, and people will treat like Kings and Queens. A multicultural country, you can't beat that.

Note: We Canadians apologize and thank people for the smallest things. A Canadian would apologize if he/she almost got in your way. A Canadian would say thanks to the cashier when he/she gives the receipt to the customer.

I have talked to lots of people who came from outside of Canada, and most of say its the nicest place in the world. There's like no bullying compared to what I hear in the US and Europe.

I'm happy to be a Canadian, but I'll be sure to move to Quebec when it separates.

Quebec has tuition fees frozen at $2000! The best health care system in the WORLD, which is why they want to separate (the rest of Canada is jealous and trying to take money out of it). Day care is only $7 a day! They have a mini-Paris in Quebec City. They create the best hockey players and goalies!

What's not to like?

I agree with you almost 100% and I'm also moving to Quebec even if they don't separate.
I would add few things more: Canadians are cheap, bit slow on thinking and are very much brain washed like no other people on earth, not even Americans.
sorry,sorry,sorry,sorry,sorry,sorry,sorry. :yuck:

spender said:
I agree with you almost 100% and I'm also moving to Quebec even if they don't separate.
I would add few things more: Canadians are cheap, bit slow on thinking and are very much brain washed like no other people on earth, not even Americans.
sorry,sorry,sorry,sorry,sorry,sorry,sorry. :yuck:

Yes, Canadians are cheap. I'm not cheap at all though, which is weird. I waste a lot money when I shouldn't.

Canadians don't think too often either, especially when it comes to politics. If Canadians actually used their brains, Stephen Harper wouldn't have won that many seats.

I wouldn't say brainwashed because most Canadians believe evolution where Americans don't. Most Canadians are free of fear unlike Americans. It's true that Canadians don't lock their house door or car door, like in that movie.

I personally think, along with many other Canadians, that Americans are paranoid freaks. Ever since 9/11, everything went downhill. Canadians are trying to loosen up the security level at the border where as Americans are trying to bring them up.

Americans are otherwise pretty good people in my opinion. They seem to help out other countries most of the time. Canadians help out too, but we need the Americans for their equipment, :biggrin:

Canadians are very cheap (very sorry to say that :wink: ) They only designate 0.7 % of their GNP for international help, USA helps more but no country beats European Union,they give like 3 % or more.
Meanwhile I get the impression listening to TV or reading Canadian newspapers that Canada is the most compassonate country on Earth that is brain washing 101 !

PS I did not like S Harper's party but each day I think they would be better for Canada than liberal in name only, extremelly PC, plutocratic traitors with Martin at the helm( that guy should be in jail by the way).

sid_galt said:
Actually history does record the actions of those who live for themselves, for their happiness and fulfillment.

Have you heard about Thomas Edison? Niels Bohr? Paul Dirac?

I never heard them saying that the primary goal of their research was the benefit of others, not their own satisfaction.

And selfishness is not about money. It is first and primarly about one's own happiness. Money is a secondary consideration.

You mention Thomas Edison, Bohr and Dirac, but these people are scientists. As a physicist myself, I can assure you that one of the primary goals for them doing their research was to fulfill their innate curiosity. You are going off on a tangent here, because the thread isn't about scientists.

Sadly, the way our world works today is that almost everyone's happiness depends on money, and with out, one really cannot be happy. Money might not be the only thing that makes you happy, but it is required for almost everything that makes one happy.

- harsh

spender said:
Canadians are very cheap (very sorry to say that :wink: ) They only designate 0.7 % of their GNP for international help, USA helps more but no country beats European Union,they give like 3 % or more.
Meanwhile I get the impression listening to TV or reading Canadian newspapers that Canada is the most compassonate country on Earth that is brain washing 101 !

PS I did not like S Harper's party but each day I think they would be better for Canada than liberal in name only, extremelly PC, plutocratic traitors with Martin at the helm( that guy should be in jail by the way).

The purpose of the sponsorship was to stop Quebec from separating. A high costs, but Canada can't afford to lose Quebec (they have money). Most people think its Quebec with no money, but they got it wrong, so very wrong.

Stephen Harper said he hated immigrants in 2001; our country is immigrants. Stephen Harper thinks it is a better idea to brin a VISA to the hospital than a Health Card. Stephen Harper says that global warming is a scam produced by environmentalists who want jobs. Stephen Harper says it would be a good idea to spend the money that was used to pay down the debt to buy military weapons/equipment, while admitting that doing so would result in a prime target for terrorists attacks. Why?

You have to remember we are not that cheap because we are willing to pay for health care. I can jump off the roof of a house and break my legs without paying a cent to fix them. That's a lot of money right there. We also welcome immigrants to come to Canada and get free health care, which is the only country in the world who does this. We don't charge people to use our highways, not even Americans who don't pay Canadian taxes.

So, next time you come to Canada and use our roads, thank Canadians for not putting tolls all over the place.

Note: I can break my legs anywhere in the world, and they will cover it. :biggrin:

Steven Harper is an ultra right conservative-reform-alliance nutjob who certainly would not be better for Canada than Paul Martin. S. Harper: we're talking about the guy who wants to ban gay marriage on the grounds that: "it's a slippery slope. If the gov't allows gay marriage, next thing you know, they'll be promoting polygamy!" That statement deserves a big W...T...F! in my opinion. The liberals are by far the lesser of two evils. At least Martin's only flaw is being double-speaking, conniving, mildly corrupt (to the extent of cronyism anyway), and supporter of big business (ie a typical politician).

I agree with most of what Jason said, except for that which was blatant propaganda (come to Canada!) and the "fact" that he wouldn't have to pay a cent for it if he jumped off a roof and broke his legs. He is paying for it right now. We are all paying for it. When he says "they" will cover it, he means "we" will cover it. (Note: Jason, please don't stress our already overburdened health care system further and unnecessarily by jumping off a roof. :p :p :p). That having been said, do I prefer public health care, in principle, as compared to a system in which the quality and speed with which one receives health care is proportional to the size of one's wallet? Most definitely. I support public health care. I'm just saying we have to recognize it has problems. *We've had this discussion before.* I haven't read much of the above posts since yesterday, but it seems that somehow we went from boasting about and/or criticising India to boasting about and/or criticising Canada. EVERY country has its good and bad qualities. Our committment in the past (which, as someone pointed out, we have not been upholding very well lately) to peacekeeping and multilateralism is one thing to be proud of. So is the fact that we are a democracy and the people can effect change if they don't like what they see. But we have flaws too. To deny so would be arrogant. I repeat. EVERY country has its good and bad points. So what is the point of this discussion?

Edit: Huh? Quebec has the best health care system in the world EH? :rofl: That's a good one! Since when? Ever see the movie: Les Invasions Barbares?

Last edited:
Wow, when I checked this thread yesterday I hoped it'd die out quietly. Now it's up to four pages. :bugeye:

<heresy>
This thread stirred more embarrassment than pride in me. I was really frightened of this kind of groupthink even when I was a kid in school in India.

One of the interesting phenomena that I was exposed to was how iconic figures involved in the independence movement became idolised, almost to the extent of pop stars. The tragedy here is that many of the important values these people stood for are forgotten (there is no warts-and-all approach). For example, (this gets on my nerves a lot) neither the textbooks nor teachers at my very-religious school cared to mention Nehru was an atheist.

Although much of Indian society respects individual autonomy, Indian nationalism tends to take this away from people who are deemed worthy of national pride. I might feel slightly proud if I heard Vinod Khosla, Vinod Dahm, or Rajiv Gupta say something nice about India; I feel no pride if 'Biology' claims them on India's behalf.

When 3.22 million Indians have to move to the US to put themselves to good use, that says nothing nice about India. It is hardly a matter of pride that they feel unable to perform and get deserving returns in India. Now don't pin this solely on politicians -- I'm sure there's a lot more at work here.

I'd better cut myself off right here, before I fan any more flames. :cool:
</heresy>

Don't get me wrong, there are many things that can make me proud of India; just like many things that can make me proud of humanity in general, or any given subset thereof. What I dislike is the single-minded nationalistic view -- bordering on inverse racism -- that is prevalent in India. Is it not possible to "work towards the welfare of India" rationally and without all the drama? :cool:

i knew this guy is crazy ...but this post made up to 5 pages that's very surprising...i don't believe that India is not gr8 but it should have been posted in a right manner...

I have great respect for India and Indian people, but blind nationalism is ugly regardless of which nation is being debased by it.

My *opinion* of those noteworthy facts listed by the OP are that they're nothing to be proud of. Given the medical system in this country is going down the crapper and distrust for major corporations is very high, why cite that so many of the people involved are Indian? That implies to me they're simply following money around where it's imbalanced. Also, these same Indians in positions of power have a tendency to be so pro-India like the OP that they start operations in India, which hurts the American economy. A vast majority of the great thinkers in history died poor, not on piles of money.

Perhaps the most respected person I ever knew of who came from India isn't even mentioned by you: Srinivasa Ramanujan. He was one of the most important mathematicians of his time - and interesting too. Kaku writes in his book Hyperspace that British mathematician Godfrey Hardy with Ramanujan at the time, while sitting on a bench, pointed at a taxi cab and remarked at the number on the cab, 1729, was boring. Ramanujan promptly replied that it wasn't boring at all: 1729 is the smallest number expressable as the sum of two cubes two different ways. You do know he died because his India-instilled convictions were so strong that he simply couldn't take the meat-eating English society? Think if a mind like that had lived in a more liberal country from the beginning. He could have had decades more of productivity.

That's not to say I'm racist against Indians, I just don't approve of their society's view on money and prestige. They're hard-working - probably more so than the average American - and intelligent, but the cultural differences are a little hard to take as a person with a humble, poor, white family.

Last edited by a moderator:
You know I'd love to critisize India. I'm indian. But if anyone else critisizes India I'd love to boil himin hot oil.. Like some french idiots said India can't manage tsunami disaster by its own, I'd love to have personally met them and had a one on one with them!

Actually my Indian professor told me that 1729 incident in a different (and I a guess, more correct) way. Ramanujan was in the hospital suffering from an illness and Hardy came to visit him and told him the number of his taxi and Ramanujan, with his amazing quickness, responded by saying that it is the smallest number expressable as the sum of two cubes two different ways. But that is not the point here, your entire post made complete sense, until you came to the part about where you said that if he had been born in a different country he would have been more productive..

Think if a mind like that had lived in a more liberal country from the beginning. He could have had decades more of productivity.

You have got to clarify that statement, because there are certain things in India that made him the man he was. He married a 10 year old girl, if he was in America do you think he would have been able to do that? You would say who gives a damn, but having such a young wife gave him extra amounts of time that otherwise he wouldn't have had to work on his math.. But seriously, it was a very unreasonable comment for you to make, because no one can predict what would have happened if he had been born in America or England.. Also at that time period, white people were extremely racist, Hardy was an exception but if you hear accounts from actual Indian people, they tell you how racist the English were, so you have to take that into account, that might have hindered his work as well, if he had been in England from the start.

You also have to define what you mean by "from the beginning".. Don't feel that I am looking too much into your post, but these are just logical questions..

Last edited:
The indians are kind of more religious and firm in certain ideas mostly becoz of the caste system which came in later years. And becoz of muslim and christian (I'm not critisizing muslims or christians) rule they didn't allow the majority Hindu population to prosper!

Last edited:
klusener said:
Also at that time period, white people were extremely racist, Hardy was an exception but if you hear accounts from actual Indian people, they tell you how racist the English were, so you have to take that into account, that might have hindered his work as well, if he had been in England from the start.
You know the english used to post signs outside clubs stating "NO Dogs or Indians allowed". They used to think of us as lower than animals

chound said:
You know I'd love to critisize India. I'm indian. But if anyone else critisizes India I'd love to boil himin hot oil.. Like some french idiots said India can't manage tsunami disaster by its own, I'd love to have personally met them and had a one on one with them!

I love India especially for the tsunami incident, man. Manmohan Singh is awesome to refuse other countries' aid, because even though we are the third-highest hit country on the casualty list, we refused aid so that Sri Lanka and Indonesia can get even more help.. These kinds of things make me happy.. :smile:

chound said:
The indians are kind of more religious and firm in certain ideas mostly becoz of the caste system which came in later years and becoz of muslim and christian rule!

Well, the caste system was brought in place by the Aryans first. You know the Dravidians (that's me) used to live in India, but the Aryans came from Europe and the Dravidians had to move down south and in the middle of India. The Aryans made the more darker-skinned Dravidians the lower caste and the lighter-skinned (the Brahmins, that's why to this day Brahmins are a lot whiter) the upper caste.