Fake magnification and other information

In summary: I don't think you can get much higher than 10x without a tripod.Magnification is angular, so if you look at an object and the binoculars are set to 10x, the object will appear 10x larger on the screen than it would if the binoculars were set to 1x. However, if you hold the binoculars at arm's length and look at the object, the image will appear the same size in both cases.
sauroman1
Hello, I bought 20x50 (150m/1000) binoculars that were not expensive from untrusted market but they were relatively cheap. But when I decided to sell them to another person he told that they zoom no more than 12 or even less.
I don't understand how magnification is calculated. I didn't thought that zoom number is calculated by how much zoomed image becomes bigger because image looked smaller on other binoculars also.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
It s not so clear from your post whether these are zoom (variable magnification) or regular (fixed magnification) binoculars.
In any case, magnfiication is angular. You look at an object (say the moon, which is 1/2° appparent angular size), it will appear bigger. If the magnification is 10x the moon through the binos looks about 5° wide (about the size of your fist at armlength), etc.
Lastly, assuming these are handheld, I don't know what 20x would be useful for - even if the optical quality is decent (unlikely for cheap zoom binoculars) the image will move around too much since your own hands' jitter is also magnified 20x

Last edited:
Fixed magnification. So magnification isn't just calculated by multiplying how much view got bigger? Yes, they jitter but not a lot.

Well yes it is "how much view gets bigger" in a sense although that wording is rather vague. More precisely it is the ratio between the size of the image of an object as seen through the binoculars, and the size of the object as seen without binoculars.
You can very roughly estimate the magnification using the test I described, but that's certainly not the only way. And of course if you have another pair then the one showing the bigger image of the same oject viewed from the same distance, has the higher magnification.

A 20x bino would jitter like a june bug on a hot skillet. Even a 10x bino is a challenge to use hand held. The formula for magnification is focal length of the objective lens divided by focal length of the eyepiece. Assuming the eyepiece is removable, it is pretty simple to deduce the actual magnification.

7 x 50 (7 power, 50 mm objective) are standard navigation binoculars, hand held on a moving, perhaps vibrating ship.

Doug Huffman said:
7 x 50 (7 power, 50 mm objective) are standard navigation binoculars, hand held on a moving, perhaps vibrating ship.
That's probably one reason they're popular. 7x or maybe 10x is about the highest magnification for comfortable handheld use. Some people with steady hands use 15x but for me at least those are a strain without a tripod, not at all what I'd call comfortable.

What is fake magnification?

Fake magnification refers to the manipulation of images or data to make it appear that an object or specimen is larger or has more detail than it actually does. This can be done through various techniques such as digital zoom, adding false colors, or using low-quality equipment.

Why do people use fake magnification?

People may use fake magnification for various reasons, such as to make their research appear more significant or to deceive others about the quality of their data. It can also be used to enhance the visual appeal of images for presentations or publications.

How can you spot fake magnification?

There are a few ways to spot fake magnification. One way is to compare the magnified image with the original image at the same scale. If there are discrepancies or inconsistencies, it could be a sign of fake magnification. Another way is to check for artifacts or abnormalities in the image that are not expected or physically possible.

What are the consequences of using fake magnification?

Using fake magnification can have serious consequences, especially in the scientific community. It can lead to false conclusions and inaccurate data, which can have a ripple effect on future research and findings. It can also damage the credibility and reputation of the researcher or institution.

How can we prevent the use of fake magnification?

To prevent the use of fake magnification, it is important to promote ethical practices and transparency in research. Researchers should always provide details about their imaging techniques and equipment, as well as the scale and any modifications made to the images. Peer review and replication of experiments can also help detect and prevent the use of fake magnification.