Falling Cat - Rotation with Zero Total Angular Momentum

In summary, a falling cat can rotate itself in mid-air without any external force due to its ability to manipulate its body and limbs to redistribute its weight and create a zero total angular momentum. This phenomenon, known as the "falling cat problem," has been studied by scientists and explained through the conservation of angular momentum and the cat's flexible spine and limbs. While the exact mechanism of how cats manage to rotate themselves remains a mystery, it is clear that their agility and reflexes play a crucial role in this impressive feat.
A.T.
Science Advisor
I made a new version of the falling cat video, with narration. It explains how cats turn around while having zero net angular momentum during the fall:

Likes DennisN, DrClaude, Spinnor and 5 others
Physics news on Phys.org
Wow. That's very clever. I'll have to re-watch it several times to grok the zero total.

Likes vanhees71 and A.T.
anorlunda said:
Wow. That's very clever. I'll have to re-watch it several times to grok the zero total.
It is easier to grok, when you imagine the cat bends 180° into a U-shape. Then its obvious that the ends of the U have opposite angular momenta. But real cats do not bend than much, so you need vectors.

Likes Ibix
My cat can't do vectors. I better not show her.
Nice animation!

• Haha
Likes DennisN, Delta2 and anorlunda
For a similar analysis with squirrels, check out this hilarious video by Mark Rober, an engineer with way too much time on his hands. Link should take you to 15:59 where the discussion begins.

At the 1:07 point of the following video is an upside down cat which is dropped, best watched I think at 1/4 speed.

I think the physics is more complicated then explained in post 1?

See the 0:00 mark and the 1:54 mark for more analysis of the problem in the following video,

I don't who is right I am just suspicious of the answer given by A.T., the first video of the falling cat does not seem to jive with A.T.'s explanation. Maybe a combination of both explanations?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Likes Redbelly98
Spinnor said:
I don't who is right I am just suspicious of the answer given by A.T., the first video of the falling cat does not seem to jive with A.T.'s explanation. Maybe a combination of both explanations?
My video explains the core mechanism of how it is possible physically. Nature, especially biology is always more complex. The motion of a real cat's halves is often less symmetrical, which is likely dictated by physiology and preferred landing pose to dampen the impact better.

Likes Motore
A.T. said:
My video explains the core mechanism of how it is possible physically. Nature, especially biology is always more complex. The motion of a real cat's halves is often less symmetrical, which is likely dictated by physiology and preferred landing pose to dampen the impact better.

I got distracted looking for differences in the video I posted and forgot to like your video which immediately makes clear the general physics of the cats motion. Looking at old posts of mine gave me another chance to like a great video. Thanks.

Spinnor said:
I got distracted looking for differences in the video I posted and forgot to like your video which immediately makes clear the general physics of the cats motion. Looking at old posts of mine gave me another chance to like a great video. Thanks.
You're welcome. Both Destin and Mark Rober in the videos linked above correctly point out that real animals sometimes turn around the front of the body first, then the back, by varying the moments of inertia. Likely because they prefer to see where they are going and/or want to land on a certain pair of legs first. But in other videos, especially when a cat falls from a small height and has to turn very quickly, it is more symmetrical like in my video.

Last edited:
Likes Spinnor and 256bits
A.T. said:
You're welcome. Both Derek and Mark Rober in the videos linked above correctly point out that real animals sometimes turn around the front of the body first, then the back, by varying the moments of inertia. Likely because they prefer to see where they are going and/or want to land on a certain pair of legs first. But in other videos, especially when a cat falls from a small height and has to turn very quickly, it is more symmetrical like in my video.
when are you going to do a simulation summersalt ( somersault - phonetics is great ) with twist off the diving board.

Here some math people envision a 1.5 rotation with 5 twists as being possible.
https://www.technologyreview.com/20...ly-new-dive-with-5-twists-and-15-somersaults/

A PDF from the arxiv
https://arxiv.org/abs/1612.06455

256bits said:
when are you going to do a simulation summersalt ( somersault - phonetics is great ) with twist off the diving board.

https://www.technologyreview.com/20...ly-new-dive-with-5-twists-and-15-somersaults/

A PDF from the arxiv

Since height is a limiting factor to more twists I wonder if any trainging facility might add height to the diving platform and then vary the height
256bits said:

A PDF from the arxiv

One limiting factor in the above analysis of the number of possible twists is platform height. It would be "easy" to make a diving platform with an adjustable height. Nail the 5 twists at a height greater than 10 meters and then as technique improves lower the platform towards 10 meters? A quick Google search does not come up with such an adjustable training platform.

Likes 256bits
Spinnor said:
One limiting factor in the above analysis of the number of possible twists is platform height.
Well, height here is just a proxy for time. One easy way to increase time is to be in free fall, for example in orbit at the ISS or parabolic flight.

Orodruin said:
Well, height here is just a proxy for time. One easy way to increase time is to be in free fall, for example in orbit at the ISS or parabolic flight.
In the below parabolic flight video at 0:11 a cat makes ~8 rotations in 5sec.

In most zero-g videos I saw cats just float around and relax. But here the evil NASA guy was throwing it against the wall.

Likes Spinnor

From Google search "gymnastics slow motion twisting angular momentum"

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=gymnastics+slow+motion+twisting+angular+momentum

Has anyone ever suspended a gymnast upside-down, like a cat by its paws, and let them go to see if they could land on their "paws"? The guy in the video looks like he could have done so? This could be done over a pool or a foam pit so the gymnast was not hurt.

Thanks.

Edit, start the video at 2:21 to see the gymnast do a "cat twist".

Last edited:

1. How does a falling cat rotate with zero total angular momentum?

According to the principle of conservation of angular momentum, the total angular momentum of a system remains constant unless an external torque is applied. In the case of a falling cat, the initial angular momentum is zero, but as the cat starts to rotate its body, its angular momentum increases. However, the cat also rotates its legs in the opposite direction, canceling out the angular momentum of its body and resulting in a net zero total angular momentum.

2. Why do cats always seem to land on their feet when falling?

Cats have a unique ability to twist their bodies in mid-air, allowing them to land on their feet when falling. This is due to their flexible spine and strong hind legs, which enable them to rotate their body quickly and maintain their balance. Additionally, cats have a highly developed inner ear that helps them orient themselves in space and adjust their body position while falling.

3. Can a falling cat still get injured despite its ability to rotate?

While cats have a remarkable ability to rotate and land on their feet, they can still get injured when falling from a significant height. The impact of landing can cause broken bones, internal injuries, or even death. Additionally, if a cat does not have enough time to rotate its body, it may not be able to land on its feet and could still get injured.

4. Are there any other animals that can rotate while falling?

Cats are not the only animals that can rotate while falling. Some species of rodents, such as squirrels and rats, also have the ability to twist their bodies and land safely on their feet. Additionally, certain birds, such as owls and hawks, have a similar ability to rotate their bodies while flying and landing.

5. How can the falling cat phenomenon be applied in other fields of study?

The falling cat phenomenon has been studied in various fields, including physics, biomechanics, and robotics. Understanding how cats rotate while falling can provide insights into the principles of angular momentum and help engineers design more stable and agile robots. Additionally, studying the cat's ability to land on its feet can also inform the development of safety mechanisms for human falls.