Faraday's cage supposed to doesn't work for low frequency

In summary, the conversation discussed the possibility of low frequency electromagnetic fields being able to pass through metal pipelines, despite the use of Faraday's cage for shielding. The speaker expressed confusion about how this could be possible and asked for help in understanding the phenomenon. It was mentioned that while non-magnetic metal pipes may allow the magnetic field to pass through, it is surprising that this would also occur with steel pipes. The possibility of radiation due to ground loops was also brought up as a potential explanation.
Marcelo P
Dear all,
I’d like to ask your help concerning some doubts about electromagnetic waves, Faraday’s cage, and so on.
I read recently that an instrument with a transmitter that emits a low frequency electromagnetic field (around 15 to 22 Hz) located inside a metal pipeline could communicate with another one located outside the metal pipeline. It seems that electromagnetic field with that range of low frequency could pass through metal (steel) pipelines…
Unfortunately the text didn’t give any information about how does it work…So, it drives me confusing because I think about the Faraday’s cage and it couldn’t work… I don’t know how to explain that.
How could the electromagnetic field pass through metal pipeline even for low frequency? Could someone please help me?
Thank you very much!

Physics news on Phys.org
Marcelo P said:
Dear all,
I’d like to ask your help concerning some doubts about electromagnetic waves, Faraday’s cage, and so on.
I read recently that an instrument with a transmitter that emits a low frequency electromagnetic field (around 15 to 22 Hz) located inside a metal pipeline could communicate with another one located outside the metal pipeline. It seems that electromagnetic field with that range of low frequency could pass through metal (steel) pipelines…
Unfortunately the text didn’t give any information about how does it work…So, it drives me confusing because I think about the Faraday’s cage and it couldn’t work… I don’t know how to explain that.
How could the electromagnetic field pass through metal pipeline even for low frequency? Could someone please help me?
Thank you very much!
We would expect the electric field from the central wire to be stopped by the metal pipe. The magnetic field of the wire would be able to pass through a non magnetic metal pipe at low frequencies. This is because magnetic shielding using non magnetic conductors relies on eddy currents, which are more strongly induced at high frequencies. If the pipe is steel and therefore magnetic, it is possible that if leakage is occurring, the permeability of the steel is not high enough. However, I know that steel pipes are occasionally used to shield telephone wires from lightning ground currents, so I am surprised if it is not working. It seems more likely to me that radiation is occurring due to a ground loop, either intentional or unintentional.

What is Faraday's cage supposed to protect against?

Faraday's cage is designed to protect against electromagnetic fields and radiation. It is often used to shield sensitive electronic equipment from interference.

Why doesn't Faraday's cage work for low frequency?

Faraday's cage is not as effective at blocking low frequency electromagnetic waves because they have longer wavelengths and are able to penetrate the cage's openings more easily.

What is considered a low frequency for Faraday's cage?

Low frequency for Faraday's cage is typically considered to be 100 kHz and below. This includes radio waves, microwaves, and other lower frequency electromagnetic waves.

Can anything be done to improve Faraday's cage's effectiveness against low frequency?

Yes, using thicker and denser materials for the cage can improve its effectiveness against low frequency waves. Additionally, adding multiple layers or incorporating conductive mesh can also help to block low frequency waves.

Are there any alternative methods for protecting against low frequency electromagnetic waves?

Yes, there are other methods such as using specialized shielding materials and creating a grounded shield around the equipment. However, Faraday's cage remains one of the most commonly used and effective methods for shielding against electromagnetic interference.