Is Faraday Cage able to stop all electromagnetic radiations?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of a material or construction that can shield against all kinds of electromagnetic radiation, from the lowest frequency radio waves to the highest frequency gamma rays. The concept of a Faraday Cage is mentioned, but it is not effective against all types of radiation. The possibility of using a superconductor or mu-metal as a shield is also discussed, but it is noted that there is no material that can provide 100% shielding. The conversation also touches on the practicality and limitations of such shielding in real-life situations.
Gabriel8
I'm trying to understand if it does exist something (material, construction) that shiled you against alll kind of electromagnetic radiations. Something that shields you from the lowest frequency radio waves up to the highest frequency gamma rays. I've read about faraday cage but it does not seem to shield you from all spectrum, even though wikipedia article says that if the holes are closer than radiation wavelength, it should not pass.

Is there any material that can shield you against all the spectrum of eletromagnetic radiations?
If there is, does it depend on the material's densitiy, thickness (this things would make sense to my intuition),or others material's properties?

Are there any common material/element that are able to do it?
I would love some examples, like a paper of "this material", which is "this thick"...

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Arman777
Physics news on Phys.org
Gabriel8 said:
I'm trying to understand if it does exist something (material, construction) that shiled you against alll kind of electromagnetic radiations. Something that shields you from the lowest frequency radio waves up to the highest frequency gamma rays. I've read about faraday cage but it does not seem to shield you from all spectrum, even though wikipedia article says that if the holes are closer than radiation wavelength, it should not pass.
Is there any material that can shield you against all the spectrum of eletromagnetic radiations?
If there is, does it depend on the material's densitiy, thickness (this things would make sense to my intuition),or others material's properties?
Are there any common material/element that are able to do it?
I would love some examples, like a paper of "this material", which is "this thick"...
I was interested the same topic as you do and I find an article about this.
https://people.maths.ox.ac.uk/trefethen/chapman_hewett_trefethen.pdf (hope it opens)
Theres really great graphs that describes the situation.I don't notice anything about material or thickness but maybe it can give you an idea about the situation.

Nothing stops everything. It's all a matter of degree.

sophiecentaur said:
Nothing stops everything. It's all a matter of degree.
If we have a closed surface (a sphere ) then is it still possible, maybe a superconductor ?

Gabriel8 said:
Is there any material that can shield you against all the spectrum of electromagnetic radiations?
A Faraday Cage is meant to shield against electric and EM fields. But since it is not typically made from a ferrous material, it does not shield against low-frequency magnetic fields. For that you need specialty magnetic shield materials, like mu-metal. Here is a good set of tutorial FAQs by a company that I've used for magnetic shielding needs in the past:

http://www.magnetic-shield.com/faqs-all-about-shielding.html

:smile:

If the question is about practical situations then what would you be putting in the superconducting box? Also, how would you supply power and take signals out and still have your superconducting shell?
Some questions should perhaps be scrutinized somewhere along the way to avoid a 'silliness hole'.

Likes berkeman
sophiecentaur said:
If the question is about practical situations then what would you be putting in the superconducting box? Also, how would you supply power and take signals out and still have your superconducting shell?
Some questions should perhaps be scrutinized somewhere along the way to avoid a 'silliness hole'.
In theoritically ?

Arman777 said:
In theoritically ?
Sorry, that did not translate very well. Can you try again please?

berkeman said:
Sorry, that did not translate very well. Can you try again please?
In theoretically ? Cause from the article I think that's possible ?

Arman777 said:
In theoritically ?
If the conductivity is infinite then there is perfect screening but where does that get us? Life does not give us infinities.

Arman777 said:
In theoretically ? Cause from the article I think that's possible ?
Oh, you mean "In theory, could a Faraday Cage + mu-metal shield (or some other magnetic shield) be made 100% effective?" No, I don't think so. Shielding effectiveness is measured in dB of attenuation versus frequency, and I'm sure you could get upwards of 160dB with some careful design. But for example, you could apply a 2T magnetic DC field that will saturate any magnetic shielding, and poof, the B-field is inside the shielded volume.

sophiecentaur said:
If the conductivity is infinite then there is perfect screening but where does that get us? Life does not give us infinities.
So in theory yes,
berkeman said:
Oh, you mean "In theory, could a Faraday Cage + mu-metal shield (or some other magnetic shield) be made 100% effective?" No, I don't think so. Shielding effectiveness is measured in dB of attenuation versus frequency, and I'm sure you could get upwards of 160dB with some careful design. But for example, you could apply a 2T magnetic DC field that will saturate any magnetic shielding, and poof, the B-field is inside the shielded volume.
but in pratical never ?

I know that you guys already gave me the answer but I am just wanted to be sure again that I understand it right...Thanks

It would be necessarily quite dark inside such a sphere.

1. What is a Faraday Cage?

A Faraday Cage is a structure or enclosure that is designed to block or shield electromagnetic fields. It is named after the English scientist Michael Faraday, who discovered the phenomenon in the 19th century.

2. Can a Faraday Cage stop all types of electromagnetic radiation?

No, a Faraday Cage cannot stop all types of electromagnetic radiation. It is most effective at blocking low frequency electromagnetic waves, such as radio waves and microwaves. It is less effective at blocking higher frequency waves, such as X-rays and gamma rays.

3. How does a Faraday Cage work?

A Faraday Cage works by creating a conductive enclosure that distributes the electromagnetic fields evenly around the outside of the cage. This prevents any external electromagnetic fields from penetrating the inside of the cage.

4. What materials are commonly used to make a Faraday Cage?

Some common materials used to make a Faraday Cage include metal mesh, aluminum foil, and conductive fabrics. These materials are highly conductive and can effectively block electromagnetic fields.

5. What are some practical uses for a Faraday Cage?

Faraday Cages are commonly used in electronic devices, such as cell phones and computers, to protect them from external electromagnetic interference. They are also used in buildings and vehicles to provide protection from lightning strikes and electromagnetic pulses (EMPs).