Faraday's law and linearly time dependent B field

In summary: Hi.1. The question is posted as is given to me. Units are not specified.2. I did mean Faraday's law, thanks.The integration of dl will give 2πr and the integration of ds will give πr². What am I getting wrong?Please show detailed steps so we can see specifically where you are making a mistake. Here's a rough outline of the steps you might want to take for this problem:1. Use Faraday's law to find the induced electric field at some arbitrary distance r from the center of the circular orbit.2. Use Newton's laws to find the acceleration a of the positron at that distance from the center of the orbit.3. Use the equation ##a
razidan

Homework Statement

A positron is moving in a circular orbit of radius r = 2cm within a uniform magnetic field B0 = 50##\mu##T. The magnetic field varies over time according to the expression:
B = 700t + Bo
and, therefore, each orbit can be considered almost circular.
(a) Calculate the electric field E induced and the velocity v of the positron after one orbit [11]

(b) Show that the magnetic flux linked with one orbit stays constant as the magnetic field varies [4]

I assumed a field going into the page, and so the positron is rotating ccw.

Homework Equations

##\int E\cdot dl=\frac{\partial \phi}{\partial t}##
##W=\int F\cdot dl##
##v=\frac{qBr}{m}##

The Attempt at a Solution

for a) my issue is that r is dependent on v, and v changes, so it's nonlinear. they do say that each orbit is almost circular, so i figure i can neglect that effect. but I got that the change in speed is 5 orders of magnitude smaller then the initial speed, so negligible. just wanted to verify.
For the inital speed i got ##v_0=175,882 m/s##.
By using ampere's law I got ##E \cdot 2\pi r =- \frac{700}{2 \pi r} \rightarrow \vec{E}=-7 V/m \hat{\varphi}##
That is a not so strong field, so the change in kinetic energy (after work energy theorem) comes out to be ##-1.2 \cdot 10^{-15} J##.
A couple of things I'm unsure about are:

1)the sign of the change. from lenz's law, the particle should gain energy (so there is more field out of the page). so should there be a negative sign in the integral of the work energy theorem?
2) the magnitude of the change is speed is tiny, do i have a mistake?

for section b - I'm lost. I am not even sure what the exact wording of the problem means. what is "the flux linked with one orbit?"

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
razidan said:
B = 700t + Bo
The units for the first term on the right are not specified. What are the units for the 700? Is the time t in seconds or microseconds (or something else)?

I assumed a field going into the page, and so the positron is rotating ccw.
OK

for a) my issue is that r is dependent on v, and v changes, so it's nonlinear. they do say that each orbit is almost circular, so i figure i can neglect that effect. but I got that the change in speed is 5 orders of magnitude smaller then the initial speed, so negligible. just wanted to verify.
Yes, the change in speed per orbit is very small compared to the speed itself. Also, if you can verify that the change in B per orbit is very small compared to Bo, then this would justify the assumption that the orbits are almost circular.

For the inital speed i got ##v_0=175,882 m/s##.
OK
By using ampere's law I got ##E \cdot 2\pi r =- \frac{700}{2 \pi r} \rightarrow \vec{E}=-7 V/m \hat{\varphi}##
Did you mean to say Faraday's law instead of Ampere's law? Your calculation does not look correct to me. How did you get ##E \cdot 2\pi r = - \frac{700}{2 \pi r}##?

1)the sign of the change. from lenz's law, the particle should gain energy (so there is more field out of the page). so should there be a negative sign in the integral of the work energy theorem?
Yes, the particle will gain energy. When using Faraday's law, be sure to interpret the meaning of the negative sign correctly. If you get a negative sign in front of E, it doesn't necessarily mean that E is in a direction opposite to the velocity of the positron.

2) the magnitude of the change is speed is tiny, do i have a mistake?
The change in speed per orbit will be very small compared to the speed itself.

for section b - I'm lost. I am not even sure what the exact wording of the problem means. what is "the flux linked with one orbit?"
The flux linked with one orbit is the magnetic flux through the circular path of one orbit.

Last edited:
TSny said:
The units for the first term on the right are not specified. What are the units for the 700? Is the time t in seconds or microseconds (or something else)?

OK

Yes, the change in speed per orbit is very small compared to the speed itself. Also, if you can verify that the change in B per orbit is very small compared to Bo, then this would justify the assumption that the orbits are almost circular.

OK
Did you mean to say Faraday's law instead of Ampere's law? Your calculation does not look correct to me. How did you get ##E \cdot 2\pi r = - \frac{700}{2 \pi r}##?

Yes, the particle will gain energy. When using Faraday's law, be sure to interpret the meaning of the negative sign correctly. If you get a negative sign in front of E, it doesn't necessarily mean that E is in a direction opposite to the velocity of the positron.

The change in speed per orbit will be very small compared to the speed itself.The flux linked with one orbit is the magnetic flux through the circular path of one orbit.
Hi.
1. The question is posted as is given to me. Units are not specified.
2. I did mean Faraday's law, thanks.
The integration of dl will give 2πr and the integration of ds will give πr². What am I getting wrong?
3. If I have a minus sign for the field, does it not mean the direction is -φ? This is clockwise, and will deccelerate the position, producing the opposite result given by lenz's law...
4. The flux through a circular orbit does change. That's why we used Faraday's law...

Last edited:
razidan said:
1. The question is posted as is given to me. Units are not specified.
OK. If t is in seconds, then I guess the 700 is in μT.
2. I did mean Faraday's law, thanks.
The integration of dl will give 2πr and the integration of ds will give πr². What am I getting wrong?
Please show detailed steps so we can see specifically where you are making a mistake.
3. If I have a minus sign for the field, does it not mean the direction is -φ?
No. You are probably going to be better off using lenz's law to get the direction of the induced electric field. There are other ways of interpreting the minus sign in Faraday's law that you can use to get the direction of E. For example see:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday's_law_of_induction#Maxwell–Faraday_equation
But you can typically get by without these formalities and just use Lenz's law.
4. The flux through a circular orbit does change. That's why we used Faraday's law...
The change in flux during one orbit is very small because the positron completes the orbit very quickly. So, when calculating the "flux linked with one orbit", you can treat the orbit as circular and the B field as constant. You have to wait for many orbits before the magnetic field and the orbital radius change significantly. They want you to show that no matter how long you wait, the flux linked by one orbit is still the same as for the first orbit (to a good approximation).

Last edited:

1. What is Faraday's Law?

Faraday's Law, also known as Faraday's law of induction, is a fundamental law of electromagnetism that describes the relationship between a changing magnetic field and an induced electric field. It states that the induced electromotive force (EMF) in a closed loop is equal to the negative rate of change of magnetic flux through the loop.

2. What is a linearly time dependent B field?

A linearly time dependent B field refers to a magnetic field that changes at a constant rate over time. This means that the magnitude and direction of the magnetic field varies in a straight line over time.

3. How is Faraday's Law related to a linearly time dependent B field?

Faraday's Law is directly related to a linearly time dependent B field because a changing magnetic field is required to induce an electric field according to the law. In the case of a linearly time dependent B field, the rate of change of the magnetic field is constant, resulting in a predictable induced electric field.

4. What is the significance of Faraday's Law and a linearly time dependent B field?

Faraday's Law and a linearly time dependent B field have significant implications in the field of electromagnetism. They are fundamental principles that explain how electricity can be generated through the use of magnets, and are key in the development of technologies such as generators and motors.

5. How is Faraday's Law and a linearly time dependent B field applied in real-world situations?

Faraday's Law and a linearly time dependent B field are applied in numerous real-world situations, such as power generation, electric motors, transformers, and many other electromechanical devices. They are also used in technologies such as MRI machines, which use a linearly time dependent B field to produce images of the body's internal structures.