Faraday's Law and Stokes Theorem

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Stoke's Theorem and the attempt to cancel out integrals on both sides of an equation. The goal is to prove that two vector fields are equal at all points, and the standard approach is to apply it to an infinitesimal region and use continuity to show equality at a specific point.
CGI

Homework Statement

upload_2018-2-21_14-52-9.png

Homework Equations

Stokes Theorem

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having a tough time "cancelling" out integrals from both sides of an equation (if possible). On the right hand of the equation, we know since it is a closed curve, that Stoke's Theorem applies and we can change the integral of ∫E⋅dr to ∫∇×E dA. On the left hand of the equation, we can insert d/dt into the integrand since it is independent of dA, giving us ∫dB/dt dA.

Overall, After moving the negative side over, we have:
-∫dB/dt dA = ∫∇×E dA

Now, from what my TA told me, he said there was a way to justify the "cancellation" of the integrals. I'm assuming they have the same bounds, but he gave me a hint and said it was something related to what I learned in Calc I, but having done so in only 1D.

Anyone have any ideas? It would be much appreciated!

Attachments

• upload_2018-2-21_14-52-9.png
    upload_2018-2-21_14-52-9.png
    11.3 KB · Views: 1,567
Physics news on Phys.org
CGI said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 220817

Homework Equations

Stokes Theorem

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having a tough time "cancelling" out integrals from both sides of an equation (if possible). On the right hand of the equation, we know since it is a closed curve, that Stoke's Theorem applies and we can change the integral of ∫E⋅dr to ∫∇×E dA. On the left hand of the equation, we can insert d/dt into the integrand since it is independent of dA, giving us ∫dB/dt dA.

Overall, After moving the negative side over, we have:
-∫dB/dt dA = ∫∇×E dA

Now, from what my TA told me, he said there was a way to justify the "cancellation" of the integrals. I'm assuming they have the same bounds, but he gave me a hint and said it was something related to what I learned in Calc I, but having done so in only 1D.

Anyone have any ideas? It would be much appreciated!

Basically, you have that ##\int \int_S \mathbf{U} \cdot d\mathbf{A}= \int \int_S \mathbf{V} \cdot d\mathbf{A}## for every "suitable" region ##S##, and then need to show that this gives ##\mathbf{U} = \mathbf{V}## at all points.

The standard way to try proving such things is to apply it so an "infinitesimal" region ##A## surrounding a point ##\mathbf{r}_0 = (x_0,y_0,z_0)## and appeal to continuity of the vector fields ##\mathbf{U}## and ##\mathbf{V}## around ##\mathbf{r}_o## to show that we must have ##\mathbf{U}(\mathbf{r}_0) = \mathbf{V}(\mathbf{r}_0)##.

What is Faraday's Law?

Faraday's Law, also known as Faraday's electromagnetic induction, states that a changing magnetic field can induce an electric current in a conductor.

What is the mathematical representation of Faraday's Law?

The mathematical representation of Faraday's Law is given by the equation: ∮E•dl = -dφ/dt, where E is the electric field, dl is the differential length element along the path of integration, and φ is the magnetic flux through the surface bounded by the path of integration.

What is Stokes Theorem?

Stokes Theorem is a mathematical theorem that relates the surface integral of a vector field to the line integral of the same field along the boundary of the surface.

What is the application of Stokes Theorem in physics?

In physics, Stokes Theorem is used to calculate the work done by a force on a particle moving along a closed path in a vector field. It is also used in the study of fluid dynamics and electromagnetism.

How are Faraday's Law and Stokes Theorem related?

Faraday's Law and Stokes Theorem are related through the concept of electromagnetic induction. Faraday's Law describes the relationship between a changing magnetic field and an induced electric current, while Stokes Theorem relates the surface integral of a vector field to the line integral of the same field along the boundary of the surface. This allows for the calculation of the induced electric field from a changing magnetic field using Stokes Theorem.