Faster than Light and wormholes

In summary: No, the math does not take relativity into account. The time it would take to reach the Andromeda Galaxy is the same if you started at the center of the Milky Way and traveled outward.Thanks
Richie Smash
If the concept of a wormhole is like folding a piece of space-time like a piece of paper, for near instantaneous travel faster than light, what is keeping us back right now?

I am aware that it's really complicated and far beyond my scope of understanding right now, however I am fascinated by anything to do with discovery and what's out there, so I always wonder what are the prospects of faster than light travel?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Richie Smash said:
If the concept of a wormhole is like folding a piece of space-time like a piece of paper, for near instantaneous travel faster than light, what is keeping us back right now?

I always think that maybe there is some super technology being hidden from us, what are the prospects of faster than light travel?

You seem to not be able to distinguish the difference between something that exists merely as a "concept", versus reality.

Wormhole has not been verified. This is a crucial piece of the puzzle in ANY science. It is also has many untested speculation, not to mention, tremendously difficult to create based on some of the parameters that are required. Your post made it sound as if this is a piece of cake, and we should just go ahead and do it.

Zz.

Richie Smash said:
what is keeping us back right now?
The unavailability of any material with a negative mass

Richie Smash said:
what are the prospects of faster than light travel?
You would do much better to buy a bunch of lottery tickets.

is it something like cherenkov phenomena in space? i have no idea

purnachandra behera said:

No, it's completely different. A wormhole is a geometrical phenomenon, meaning that it's a result of a particular way the geometry of spacetime is set up. Cherenkov radiation is the result of charged particles traveling faster than the electromagnetic waves they themselves generate in a medium.

ZapperZ said:
You seem to not be able to distinguish the difference between something that exists merely as a "concept", versus reality.

Wormhole has not been verified.
Yeah, even further: The OP says "holding us back". From what? Making one? Using one? Even for things proven to exist, we can't necessarily make or use them! The moon exists, but that doesn't mean we know how to build our own!

Likes ComplexVar89 and PeroK
purnachandra behera said:
The effective speed of light through any medium is less than c. Cherenkov works when a fast (but sub-c) object enters a material with a sub-c propagation speed. And, of course, the object slows up even more!

russ_watters said:
The moon exists, but that doesn't mean we know how to build our own!

Good point. Bad example, at least since 1957.

Richie Smash said:
I am aware that it's really complicated and far beyond my scope of understanding right now, however I am fascinated by anything to do with discovery and what's out there, so I always wonder what are the prospects of faster than light travel?

You might find it more interesting to study the implications of slower-than-light travel. For example, at a speed of ##\frac{999}{1000}## the speed of light it would take about 2 months to travel to a star system that's located 4 light years away!

Studying that would be far more practical, since it's the stuff everyday modern life instead of the stuff of science fiction.

Likes Richie Smash
Mister T said:
You might find it more interesting to study the implications of slower-than-light travel. For example, at a speed of ##\frac{999}{1000}## the speed of light it would take about 2 months to travel to a star system that's located 4 light years away!

For those confused by this, do note that the 2 months is the duration of the time on the ship. Those of us on Earth would see the ship take just over 4 years to arrive.

Mister T said:

Studying that would be far more practical, since it's the stuff everyday modern life instead of the stuff of science fiction.

Only if you could instantaneously start and stop. A constant 1G acceleration / deceleration would take about 3.5 years of ship time and you would ‘only’ get to .95c. However, in about 30 years you could get to the Andromeda Galaxy

Likes Sean Nelson
Using the math regarding the acceleration and decelerate of this trip. Does this take into account the relativity of time slowing as you are reaching the speed of light. Likewise as you are slowing time speeding up as you decelerate.

Thanks

Sean Nelson said:
Using the math regarding the acceleration and decelerate of this trip. Does this take into account the relativity of time slowing as you are reaching the speed of light. Likewise as you are slowing time speeding up as you decelerate.

Thanks

Yes, there are a number of calculators for this on the web, for example

http://nathangeffen.webfactional.com/spacetravel/spacetravel.php

Thank you

Sean Nelson said:
Just to be sure you are clear, those things you say are happening are frame dependent and none of them are happening in the local frame of the object making the trip.

Yes thank you. I am referring to the observer and not the participant in the local frame

BWV said:
Yes, there are a number of calculators for this on the web, for example

http://nathangeffen.webfactional.com/spacetravel/spacetravel.php
Thank you,

I used the calculator. Very helpful. I am looking to see how as the passenger on board you can actively look at say a watch on your arm, and actually see your real time on the ship. Not the projected passage of time from start to finish.

The OP question has been addressed. Thread closed.

1. What is the concept of faster-than-light travel?

Faster-than-light travel, also known as FTL travel, is a hypothetical mode of transportation that would allow an object to move faster than the speed of light. This is not currently possible according to the theory of relativity, but it is a popular topic in science fiction.

2. How do wormholes fit into the concept of FTL travel?

Wormholes are hypothetical tunnels through space-time that could potentially allow for faster-than-light travel. They are thought to be shortcuts between distant points in the universe, but their existence has not been proven and they are currently only theoretical.

3. Can wormholes actually exist?

While there is currently no evidence to support the existence of wormholes, they are mathematically possible according to the theory of general relativity. However, they would require exotic forms of matter with negative energy to stabilize them, which has not been observed in the universe.

4. How would traveling through a wormhole affect time?

According to the theory of relativity, time is relative and can be affected by the speed and gravity of an object. In the context of traveling through a wormhole, time could be affected in various ways depending on the specific characteristics of the wormhole and the speed at which the object is traveling through it.

5. Are there any potential dangers or consequences of using a wormhole for FTL travel?

Since wormholes are only theoretical at this point, it is difficult to determine the potential dangers or consequences of using them for FTL travel. However, some theories suggest that the intense gravitational forces near a wormhole's entrance could be dangerous for any object attempting to enter or exit the wormhole.