Fatigue analysis with JIS standard book

In summary: The Mean Stress Correction Factor (Cr) is a factor that helps to account for the variation in stress within a structure due to factors like plate thickness and stress ratio. The Plate Thickness Correction Factor (Ct) is used to adjust the stress in a structure when the thickness of the plate changes. The Redundancy Factor (ƴ) is a measure of how well the structure can handle a deviation in stress from normal.
Ridzuan
Dear guys
can somebody explain, what is actually the following terms, used in fatigue analysis:

1. Mean stress correction factor
2. Plate thickness correction factor
3. Redundancy factor

Thanks guys. you are the best...

Engineering news on Phys.org
Ridzuan said:
Dear guys
can somebody explain, what is actually the following terms, used in fatigue analysis:

1. Mean stress correction factor
2. Plate thickness correction factor
3. Redundancy factor

Thanks guys. you are the best...
Please post links to the reading you have been doing so far about those terms, and ask specific questions about what you are not understanding in that reading. Thanks.

berkeman said:
Please post links to the reading you have been doing so far about those terms, and ask specific questions about what you are not understanding in that reading. Thanks.
I am doing design review for RTG crane, manufactured by MITSUI Paceco. In the technical document submission, they are providing the fatigue analysis. I am cross checking the analysis with JIS standard book, JISB8821:Calculation standards for steel structures of cranes. The equations as below:Mean stress correction factor, Cr
= 1.3 (1-R) / (1.6-R)
= 1.0
R is stress ratio

Plate thickness correction factor, Ct
= 4√ (25 / t)
= 1.0
t is plate thickness

Redundancy factor, ƴ
= 1.0

The Japanese took the Cr, Ct and ƴ value as 1.0 and use the values as input into the GT-STRUDL program.

Likes berkeman
Hi! Ridzuan. I'm an engineer of a Japanese crane maker.

If the structure is exposed to reversed stress, R takes a negative value.
Reversed stress state is not favorable for the fatigue strength.
To reduce allowable stress range(Δσr), Cr is calculated by above formula.
But if R is zero or more, then it is not reversed stress state, and Cr is regarded as 1 and the reducing won't be done.

Also, the thicker plate is the worse fatigue strength.
If t is more than 25 mm, Δσr is reduced by Ct.
For 25 mm or less, Ct is regarded as 1.

γ can take a value within 0.80 to 1.25, it is considered from the influence of corruption of the structure, importance of the part, and ease of inspection.
It affects the design stress amplitude (Δσd).
Except for unusual circumstances, We often use 1 as γ.

Likes Ridzuan and berkeman
kotaro yamashita said:
Hi! Ridzuan. I'm an engineer of a Japanese crane maker.

If the structure is exposed to reversed stress, R takes a negative value.
Reversed stress state is not favorable for the fatigue strength.
To reduce allowable stress range(Δσr), Cr is calculated by above formula.
But if R is zero or more, then it is not reversed stress state, and Cr is regarded as 1 and the reducing won't be done.

Also, the thicker plate is the worse fatigue strength.
If t is more than 25 mm, Δσr is reduced by Ct.
For 25 mm or less, Ct is regarded as 1.

γ can take a value within 0.80 to 1.25, it is considered from the influence of corruption of the structure, importance of the part, and ease of inspection.
It affects the design stress amplitude (Δσd).
Except for unusual circumstances, We often use 1 as γ.

Hi Kotaro Yamashita. Nice to know you. I think I've found the right person, japanese crane maker engineer.
Thanks for the clarification. You are explaining very well.
Can you define those 3 terms in layman term... i am a mechanical engineer but i found it is hard to understand... a simple example will do.

What is fatigue analysis?

Fatigue analysis is a method used in engineering and materials science to predict the structural integrity and lifespan of a component or material under repeated loading and unloading cycles.

What is the JIS standard book for fatigue analysis?

The JIS (Japanese Industrial Standards) standard book for fatigue analysis is a set of guidelines and criteria used in Japan for evaluating the fatigue strength of metallic materials.

What is the purpose of fatigue analysis with JIS standard book?

The purpose of fatigue analysis with JIS standard book is to ensure the safety and reliability of structures and components by predicting their fatigue life and identifying potential failure points.

What are the key factors considered in fatigue analysis with JIS standard book?

The key factors considered in fatigue analysis with JIS standard book include stress levels, stress concentration, material properties, loading conditions, and environmental conditions such as temperature and corrosion.

How is fatigue analysis with JIS standard book performed?

Fatigue analysis with JIS standard book involves using mathematical models and experimental data to estimate the fatigue life of a material or component. This can be done through methods such as stress-life (S-N) curves, strain-life (ε-N) curves, and fracture mechanics analysis.