Fatigue Failure on Turbine Blade(large subsonic aircraft)

In summary, fatigue failure is a common issue faced by turbine blades on large subsonic aircraft. This type of failure occurs due to repeated stress and strain on the blades, causing microcracks to form and eventually lead to catastrophic failure. To prevent fatigue failure, proper maintenance and inspections are essential, as well as designing the blades with materials that can withstand high stress and fatigue. Additionally, implementing design improvements and using advanced technologies such as 3D printing can help to reduce the risk of fatigue failure on turbine blades. Overall, addressing fatigue failure is crucial for ensuring the safety and reliability of large subsonic aircraft.
billcc
I am doing a project on the subject above, and i am selecting one type of material that is currently popular used in gas turbine, but i found it difficult to select the material as there are too many nickel-based alloy that can be use for this application. Can anyone direct me with a suggestion on what type of materials should i choose and any specific link that can provide the properties of the material?

Besides that, i am looking for development of turbine blade material used since 1940s until now, but i can't seems to find any relevant info on it. Can anyone share some info regarding this?

by the way, from my readings, i found that nowadays, mostly turbine blade are produce to be single crystal plus enhancement of properties with coatings. Is this true for the application of aircraft engine turbine blade available nowadays?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Astronuc said:
See this thread - https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=242166

Directional solidification and single crystal are preferred methods for turbine blade manufacture.

Ceramic coatings extend the lifetime.

Dear Astronuc,
regarding this thread, this link below seems to be unavailable:
http://www.eprictcenter.com/infocenter/ct_o_and_m/pdf/creep7_paper02_msw.pdf

this link seems to have statistic that i wanted, are there any similar link that i can make use?
by the way, does CMSX-4 belong to the preferred materials used for turbine blade nowadays?

are there any link that relate the performance of turbine blade with the fatigue failure mechanism? such as, corrosion-fatigue, creep-fatigue, thermal-fatigue, etc.

thanks for showing me such a useful thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
It could be the site is down, or they've changed the url, or they no longer have the paper available.

The paper may no longer be available. One could contact the authors:

Materials Technology for Advanced Land Based Gas Turbines
R. Viswanathan, Ph.D., EPRI, Palo Alto, CA 94304, USA
S. T. Scheirer, Ph.D., Power Tech Associates, Media, PA 19063, USA

Meanwhile try this -
http://www.netl.doe.gov/technologies/coalpower/turbines/refshelf/handbook/4.4.1.pdf

http://www.osti.gov/bridge/servlets/purl/72949-XICguK/webviewable/72949.pdf

http://www.gepower.com/prod_serv/products/tech_docs/en/downloads/ger3569g.pdf

CMSX-4 is one of the preferred materials.

Last edited by a moderator:

I can provide some insights and suggestions for your project on fatigue failure on turbine blades for large subsonic aircraft.

Firstly, it is understandable that you are having difficulty selecting a specific material for your project as there are numerous nickel-based alloys that can be used in gas turbines. To narrow down your options, it is important to consider the properties and characteristics of the material that are critical for its application in gas turbines. These properties include high strength, resistance to high temperatures and corrosion, and good fatigue and creep resistance.

Based on these criteria, some popular materials used in gas turbines include Inconel, Waspaloy, and Rene alloys. These alloys have been extensively used in aircraft engines due to their excellent mechanical properties and high-temperature resistance. You can find more information on the properties of these materials from reliable sources such as scientific journals, materials databases, and manufacturer's websites.

In terms of the development of turbine blade materials, it is worth noting that there has been significant progress in material technology since the 1940s. In the early days, turbine blades were mainly made of steel, but the increasing demand for higher efficiency and performance led to the development of advanced materials such as nickel-based alloys and ceramic matrix composites. These materials have shown great improvements in terms of strength, temperature resistance, and fatigue life, leading to the production of more efficient and reliable turbine blades.

Regarding your observation on the use of single crystal turbine blades with coatings, this is indeed a common practice in the production of aircraft engine turbine blades. Single crystal blades have a more uniform microstructure, which improves their mechanical properties and reduces the likelihood of fatigue failure. Coatings, such as thermal barrier coatings, are also used to further enhance the high-temperature resistance of the blades.

In conclusion, to select the most suitable material for your project, it is important to consider its properties and characteristics, and to research the development of turbine blade materials over the years. I suggest referring to reliable scientific sources and materials databases for more information. Good luck with your project!

Related to Fatigue Failure on Turbine Blade(large subsonic aircraft)

1. What is fatigue failure on turbine blades and why is it a concern for large subsonic aircraft?

Fatigue failure on turbine blades refers to the gradual deterioration and eventual breakage of these important components due to repeated stress cycles. This is a concern for large subsonic aircraft because the constant high speeds and rapid changes in pressure and temperature during flight can put significant stress on the turbine blades, leading to potential failure and safety risks.

2. What are the main causes of fatigue failure on turbine blades?

The main causes of fatigue failure on turbine blades include material defects, exposure to high temperatures and pressure, and vibration and stress caused by the engine's rotation. Other factors such as corrosion, erosion, and foreign object damage can also contribute to fatigue failure.

3. How is fatigue failure on turbine blades detected and prevented?

Fatigue failure on turbine blades can be detected through regular inspections and non-destructive testing techniques such as ultrasound and x-ray. To prevent fatigue failure, proper maintenance and repair procedures must be followed, and the blades must be replaced when they reach their designated lifespan. Advanced materials and designs are also being developed to increase the durability and resistance of turbine blades to fatigue failure.

4. What are the consequences of fatigue failure on turbine blades?

The consequences of fatigue failure on turbine blades can range from minor performance issues to catastrophic engine failure. This can result in costly repairs, flight delays, or even accidents. Additionally, fatigue failure can also cause financial losses for airlines and manufacturers, as well as potential harm to passengers and crew members.

5. What advancements are being made to prevent fatigue failure on turbine blades?

To prevent fatigue failure on turbine blades, advancements are being made in materials science, such as the development of high-temperature alloys and advanced coatings. Additionally, new inspection and maintenance techniques are being developed to detect and address potential issues before they lead to failure. There are also ongoing efforts to improve engine design and reduce stress on turbine blades, as well as the implementation of more frequent and thorough inspections and testing protocols.