FB and youtube videos -- mirror imaging

In summary: It's in there somewhere and, if you make Zoom calls, the option is very easy to find in Zoom Preferences.Zoom calls distort the sound in the same way.Zoom calls distort the sound in the same way.
gmax137
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
sophiecentaur said:
I find it unconsciously disturbing to watch many of the Movies, shown on Facebook. For some reason, they are shown 'mirror image' and people screwing things UP are unscrewing them - and vice versa.

Does anyone know why this mirror imaging happens?

Physics news on Phys.org
gmax137 said:
Does anyone know why this mirror imaging happens?
Copyright?

Likes sophiecentaur and BillTre
Pictures and videos taken on the front camera of my phone (the side the screen is on) are mirrored. I'd bet most people don't even notice.

• Informative
Likes BillTre
Bystander said:
Copyright?
Yes. One can search for videos with a given size, length and MD5 sum to find stolen ones without a human being looking at them. Flip them and this simple test no longer works.

• Informative
Likes swampwiz, Klystron, BillTre and 1 other person
Drakkith said:
Pictures and videos taken on the front camera of my phone (the side the screen is on) are mirrored. I'd bet most people don't even notice.
It's an option. This is to present you with a familiar image of yourself - i.e. what you see in a mirror. If you turn off the option, it can drive you wild.

sophiecentaur said:
It's an option. This is to present you with a familiar image of yourself - i.e. what you see in a mirror. If you turn off the option, it can drive you wild.
I briefly looked for an option to change it but didn't see one. But I only looked briefly, so I probably missed it.

Likes sophiecentaur
Drakkith said:
I briefly looked for an option to change it but didn't see one. But I only looked briefly, so I probably missed it.
It's in there somewhere and, if you make Zoom calls, the option is very easy to find in Zoom Preferences.
But it seems to be everywhere FB and the sound is shifted up in frequency and distorted.

Likes Drakkith
This is a perfect case where the idiom "a picture is worth a thousand words" would apply.

1. What is mirror imaging in FB and youtube videos?

Mirror imaging is a technique used to flip or reverse the image in a video, making it appear as if the video is being viewed through a mirror. This can be done for various reasons, such as aesthetic purposes or to avoid copyright infringement.

2. How can I mirror image a video on FB or Youtube?

To mirror image a video on FB or Youtube, you can use video editing software such as Adobe Premiere Pro or iMovie. These programs have features that allow you to flip or reverse the video, creating a mirror image effect.

3. Can I mirror image a video on FB or Youtube without using video editing software?

Yes, there are online tools and apps available that allow you to mirror image a video without using video editing software. Some examples include Kapwing, Clideo, and InVideo. These tools are user-friendly and can be accessed for free.

4. What are the benefits of mirror imaging a video on FB or Youtube?

Mirror imaging a video can add a unique and creative touch to your video content. It can also help to avoid copyright infringement if you are using copyrighted material in your video. Additionally, mirror imaging can make text or logos in the video more readable and easier to understand.

5. Are there any downsides to mirror imaging a video on FB or Youtube?

One potential downside of mirror imaging a video is that it can be disorienting for viewers, as they are used to seeing videos in their original orientation. It can also distort the appearance of certain objects or people in the video. Therefore, it is important to use mirror imaging sparingly and consider its impact on the overall viewing experience.