FEA Results interpretation for these 3 simulations

In summary, the three structures analyzed by the FEA showed that there is high stress at both ends and low stress in the center. The first point of failure is likely to originate from the center of the bridge, and the accuracy of the results is questionable.
Smushiehippo
Homework Statement
Explain where the first point of failure is likely to originate, and why.

An analysis of the studies, do you think that they will be an accurate representation of what will happen in practice?
Relevant Equations
none
Hi

Im slightly stuck not sure what i put is ok.

FEA was used to carry out analysis on 3 structures and diagram results obtain (no data)
Explain where the first point of failure is likely to originate, and why.
An analysis of the studies, do you think that they will be an accurate representation of what will happen in practice?

Red indicates high stress and blue indicates low stress

For the (i) there is high stress at both ends and low stress in center. I believe 1st point of failure would be at centre (blue area) and not indicated on diagram of high stress (red). Trusses support the bridge and take the majority of the load and stresses. Blue section centre of the bridge and where load and stress will be most concentrated. contentrated stresses and loading will likely fatigue in beam.

For the (ii) there is high stress at each blade and low stress at the base. I believe 1st point of failure would be at blade (red). Impeller blade are the thinest point on the structure. strength in this area is lowest compared to base. excess high vibration could lead to fatigue and first point of failure.

For the (iii) there is high close to the small end and low stress in big end. I believe 1st point of failure would be at small end (red). connecting rod under goes compression and tension in operation. high speed causing high rpm lead to stretching of the rod leading to failure.

Im stuck on comparing accurcy. I believe (i) is inaccurate but (ii and iii) are accurate. how do i compare accuracy with only pics and no data. im not 100% what each pic is showing, eg compression, tension, deformation.

1678042693120.png

1678042714293.png

1678042740506.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Since you haven't gotten any replies yet, I'll chime in with a couple thoughts/questions:

i) You say that you think the center of the truss bridge would be prone to fail first, but the FEA simulation shows blue in the middle and red at the supporting ends of the bridge. How do you reconcile that? Also, the red horizonal members at the two supporting ends look wrong to me, depending on how the ends are supported by the banks/ground. I can see why the vertical members at the end would be red, since they are supporting all of the weight of the bridge where it attaches to the ground, but I don't see a source of stress for the horizontal members on the ground at the ends.

ii) I don't know much about pump impellers, but it seems like a more typical failure would be for most of a vane to break off mid-way, not just at the tip. But I could be wrong about that.

ii) That looks like a reasonable stress distribution for the piston connecting rod. Can you say why the red area is where it is, and not at the top? What about a piston connecting rod might cause more stress in that area versus the opposite side of the piston pin?

1678482222966.png

So, is this assignment about sanity checking FEA results?

erobz said:
So, is this assignment about sanity checking FEA results?
pretty much checking.

Im doing online, so on my own working through this.

only given pic and with the question is do you think that they will be an accurate representation of what will happen in practice?

no data or notes, or info to read on it.

looking through a source i saw that ti said FEA red means high stress and blue low. other than that vary hard to find truss bridges FEA results with stress.

was guessing max bending motion would be in center so max stress would be as well and that lowest stress would be on the ends. there would more stresses on top than bottom of the beams. so diagram is not accurate. persumption that is evenly loaded across the bridge.

Smushiehippo said:
looking through a source i saw that ti said FEA red means high stress and blue low. other than that vary hard to find truss bridges FEA results with stress.
ok
Smushiehippo said:
was guessing max bending motion would be in center so max stress would be as well and that lowest stress would be on the ends. there would more stresses on top than bottom of the beams. so diagram is not accurate. persumption that is evenly loaded across the bridge.
If it was evenly distributed load, we should see symmetric stress distributions across the mid planes?

erobz said:
ok

If it was evenly distributed load, we should see symmetric stress distributions across the mid planes?
Looking at past examples of failure in truss bridges, high has been recorded at ends of bridges where failure happened in chord of truss.

With out info of loading or anything. I just don't know on the diagram.

Smushiehippo said:
Looking at past examples of failure in truss bridges, high has been recorded at ends of bridges where failure happened in chord of truss.

With out info of loading or anything. I just don't know on the diagram.
What I'm saying is that the loading seems to be asymmetric. Going across the bridge, as you would traverse it stresses appear symmetric, but the dark blue stress zone isn't mirrored in the opposite truss.

I'm probably out of my depth of understanding.

Interpretation of FEA results based only on colorful images is not the way to go. You should know at least the boundary conditions and loads plus, of course, actual values of output variables and properly scaled deformed shape. Otherwise, you may conclude that red is always bad and blue is always fine which is not true. Results should be always compared with allowable values. Apart from that, the first part of this task comes down to saying where red areas are located on each model which is obvious. The second one requires guessing how a component can be loaded and constrained. Instead of trying to interpret those images lacking any context, I would strongly suggest you download geometries like this from GrabCAD and run your own analyses in any FEA software, even open-source if you don't have a license for a commercial solution. You will learn so much more this way.

Likes berkeman, Lnewqban, erobz and 1 other person

1. How do I interpret the stress and strain results from an FEA simulation?

Interpreting stress and strain results from FEA simulations involves understanding the magnitude and distribution of stresses and strains within the analyzed structure. It is important to compare the results to the material's yield and ultimate strength, as well as any design criteria. Additionally, examining the stress and strain contours can provide insight into areas of high stress or strain concentration that may require further analysis or design modifications.

2. What is the significance of the displacement results in an FEA simulation?

The displacement results in an FEA simulation show the amount and direction of movement of each node in the analyzed structure. This information is important for understanding how the structure will behave under loading and can help identify potential areas of failure or excessive deformation. Additionally, comparing the displacement results to design criteria can ensure that the structure meets necessary requirements for functionality and safety.

3. How do I validate the accuracy of FEA results?

Validating the accuracy of FEA results involves comparing the simulation results to physical testing data or analytical solutions. This can help identify any discrepancies or errors in the simulation and allow for adjustments to be made. Additionally, ensuring that the FEA model is properly meshed and boundary conditions are accurately applied can also improve the accuracy of the results.

4. What is the importance of post-processing in FEA simulations?

Post-processing in FEA simulations involves analyzing and interpreting the results to gain a better understanding of the behavior of the analyzed structure. This can include creating stress and strain contours, displacement plots, and other visualizations to identify areas of concern or validate design decisions. Post-processing is crucial for fully understanding the implications of the FEA results and making informed engineering decisions.

5. How can FEA results be used to improve the design of a structure?

FEA results can be used to improve the design of a structure by identifying areas of high stress or strain, determining the effects of different loading scenarios, and optimizing the design for improved performance. By analyzing the results and making design modifications, engineers can ensure that the structure meets necessary requirements and is safe and efficient for its intended use.