Feasibility and Advantages of Variable Wing Area Concept in UAV/RC Aircraft

In summary, the conversation discusses a final year aeronautical engineering project that involves producing a roll in a UAV/RC aircraft by reducing the wing area on one side while keeping the other side constant or increasing it gradually. They plan to use flaperons to achieve this, inspired by how an eagle would dive. The question posed is whether this is feasible and if so, what advantages it would have over spoilers. The person also mentions having done some reading and research on the topic.
devilidol
Hey guys!,
this is my final year aeronautical engineering project that me and my group are going to work on!
we have this concept of producing a roll in an uav/RC aircraft by reducing the area of the wing on one side while keeping the other side area constant or increasing it(gradually)
and using the flaperon setting to reduce the area equally on both sides for a dive basically how a eagle would do
so my question is, is this feasible if yes, what do you guys think would be the advantages over spoilers?
if no, why?

thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
devilidol said:
Hey guys!,
this is my final year aeronautical engineering project that me and my group are going to work on!
we have this concept of producing a roll in an uav/RC aircraft by reducing the area of the wing on one side while keeping the other side area constant or increasing it(gradually)
and using the flaperon setting to reduce the area equally on both sides for a dive basically how a eagle would do
so my question is, is this feasible if yes, what do you guys think would be the advantages over spoilers?
if no, why?

thanks!

Welcome to the PF.

Since this is a schoolwork question, please share what you have found so far in your reading and research... :smile:

1. What is the Variable Wing Area Concept?

The Variable Wing Area Concept is a design concept for aircraft wings that allows for the adjustment of the wing area during flight. This allows for greater efficiency and performance in different flight conditions.

2. How does the Variable Wing Area Concept work?

The Variable Wing Area Concept typically involves the use of movable wing segments or panels that can change the overall wing area. This can be achieved through mechanisms such as telescoping or folding wings, or by using morphing materials that can change shape.

3. What are the benefits of the Variable Wing Area Concept?

The Variable Wing Area Concept offers several potential benefits for aircraft design. It allows for improved aerodynamic performance and fuel efficiency in different flight conditions, such as during takeoff, landing, and cruising. It also allows for greater flexibility in aircraft design and can potentially reduce the weight and cost of the aircraft.

4. What types of aircraft use the Variable Wing Area Concept?

Currently, the Variable Wing Area Concept is primarily used in military aircraft, such as the F-14 Tomcat and the F-111 Aardvark. However, there has been research and development into using this concept in commercial aircraft as well.

5. What are the challenges in implementing the Variable Wing Area Concept?

One of the main challenges in implementing the Variable Wing Area Concept is the complexity and cost of the mechanisms required to change the wing area. Additionally, it may also require additional training for pilots to operate these types of aircraft. There are also challenges in ensuring the structural integrity and safety of the aircraft with movable wing components.