Feedback and "Advertisements" do not work

In summary, the person is having trouble posting and viewing content on the Feedback board due to a message saying "Page could not be loaded." They also mention that when they try to post the message, they are given an error box. Another person suggests turning off their ad blocker, which helps solve the problem. The person then questions why this is necessary and the other person explains that it may be due to the website's policy of wanting their content accessible even if the ads are not loading.
symbolipoint
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
I am still trying to find somewhere to post to report this problem.

If try to visit and post in Feedback, or if I try just to VISIT the "Advertisements" topic there, the only page that loads is this:
"Page could not be loaded,... "

and I cannot even post the whole page message here because when I do, I am given a message box, "Oops!,...some stuff,..."

Physics news on Phys.org
What browser are you using? It works for me on mobile/chrome.

symbolipoint said:
I am still trying to find somewhere to post to report this problem.

If try to visit and post in Feedback, or if I try just to VISIT the "Advertisements" topic there, the only page that loads is this:
"Page could not be loaded,... "

and I cannot even post the whole page message here because when I do, I am given a message box, "Oops!,...some stuff,..."

Did you try turning your ad blocker off temporarily to see if that helps?

berkeman said:
Did you try turning your ad blocker off temporarily to see if that helps?
AMAZING! It does help. I just tried in the Advertisement topic in the Feedback board.
(My curiosity is then, why?)

Likes berkeman
russ_watters said:
What browser are you using? It works for me on mobile/chrome.
Google Chrome (and yes currently updated)(Windows 10)

symbolipoint said:
AMAZING! It does help. I just tried in the Advertisement topic in the Feedback board.
(My curiosity is then, why?)
Great! I don't understand it all, but there was a discussion in the Mentor forums a couple days ago where @mfb had the same problem and did some experiments to figure it out.

I also block ads (using a different method). Most web sites have a time-out or retry-count limit for ad links. They may loop for awhile retrying to load the ad(s), but eventually decide the ad repository must be down and skip to the page content.

I presume the mindset of the page owners is such that they want their content available even if the advertisers are off-line.

What is the evidence that suggests "Feedback and Advertisements" do not work?

There have been numerous studies that suggest that feedback and advertisements do not have a significant impact on behavior change or product sales. These studies have shown that people are often skeptical of advertisements and may not trust the information presented. Additionally, feedback can be biased or incomplete, leading to inaccurate conclusions.

Why do many people believe that "Feedback and Advertisements" are ineffective?

One reason for this belief is the prevalence of fake or misleading advertisements, particularly in the age of social media. People are bombarded with so much information and feedback that they may become desensitized to it, making it less effective. Additionally, there is a growing understanding of the psychological tactics used in advertisements, leading to skepticism and resistance.

Are there any situations where "Feedback and Advertisements" can be effective?

Yes, in certain situations, feedback and advertisements can be effective. For example, targeted advertisements that are based on a person's search history or interests may be more successful in capturing their attention. Additionally, personalized and genuine feedback from trusted sources can also have a positive impact on behavior change.

What alternatives are there to "Feedback and Advertisements" for promoting a product or idea?

There are several alternative methods for promoting a product or idea, such as word-of-mouth marketing, influencer endorsements, and content marketing. These methods focus on creating genuine and authentic connections with potential customers or audiences, rather than bombarding them with advertisements or feedback.

How can we improve the effectiveness of "Feedback and Advertisements"?

To improve the effectiveness of feedback and advertisements, it is important to make them more targeted, genuine, and relevant to the audience. This can be achieved by conducting thorough research on the target audience and tailoring the message accordingly. Additionally, using ethical and transparent advertising practices can help build trust with consumers, making them more receptive to feedback and advertisements.