Fermi Paradox: What are your opinions on the Fermi Paradox?

In summary, the conversation discusses the Fermi Paradox, which questions the existence of intelligent life in the universe. One person is doing a project on the topic and asks for others' opinions through a survey. Another person believes that other civilizations may have existed but are rare and that the cost of interstellar travel may discourage exploration. A resource on the subject is also mentioned.
man like bush
Hi guys,

So If any of you aren't familiar with the Fermi Paradox, I highly advise you read about it. It is easily one of the most interesting topics I've come across. IF you can't be bothered for this I have included a small summary of what the Fermi Paradox in my survey (see below).

I'm doing my extended projected (EPQ) on the possible solutions to the Fermi Paradox, however I wanted some other peoples opinions on the matter. If any of you have some free time to complete my quick survey I'd be more then grateful:

https://kwiksurveys.com/s/Zh0STlDf#/

I've tried to make it as short as possible so not to waste any of your time.

Cheers,
JB

Astronomy news on Phys.org
My opinion is that the universe is young and that we are one of the early civilizations. I'm certain that there have been many before us, but they were rare and space is huge so there isn't enough out there for us to find them yet.

Likes man like bush
My opinion is that an intelligent species (or whatever it evolves into) either becomes extinct or colonizes the whole galaxy and in the colonized galaxy there is no space left for the development of other intelligent species.

Likes man like bush
One self evident explanation is technologically advanced and enduring intelligent societies, like humans, are rare. Combine that with the fact there is no conceivable way to traverse interstellar distances that is not obscenely expensive. I expect any sensible civilizations would be reluctant to commit the resources needed for interstellar exploration when those same resources would have more obvious utility to enrich their own, as well as their decendants lives. While it is certainly true a highly advanced alien society could be expected to possesses technology far superior to our own, that still doesn't assure extensive space exploration would qualify as an affordable luxury. How often would an already rare society be confronted with the choice of abandoning their home system or face imminent destruction, and, with enough warning to permit an effective response?

Likes man like bush

1. What is the Fermi Paradox?

The Fermi Paradox is a thought experiment posed by physicist Enrico Fermi in the 1950s. It questions the existence of extraterrestrial civilizations and why we have not yet detected any signs of intelligent life in our vast and seemingly habitable universe.

2. What are some possible explanations for the Fermi Paradox?

There are several theories that attempt to explain the Fermi Paradox. Some suggest that intelligent life may be rare in the universe, or that it exists but is too far away for us to detect. Others propose that advanced civilizations may have already gone extinct, or that they are purposely avoiding contact with us.

3. What is your opinion on the Fermi Paradox?

As a scientist, I am open to all possibilities and theories regarding the Fermi Paradox. While there is currently no definitive answer, it is a fascinating and important question that continues to spark debate and research in the scientific community.

4. How does the Fermi Paradox relate to the search for extraterrestrial intelligence (SETI)?

The Fermi Paradox is closely linked to the search for extraterrestrial intelligence, as it raises questions about the likelihood of finding intelligent life beyond Earth. Many SETI programs use the paradox as a guiding principle in their search methods and target selection.

5. Do you think we will ever find an answer to the Fermi Paradox?

I believe that with continued advancements in technology and further exploration of our universe, we may eventually find an answer to the Fermi Paradox. However, it is also possible that the answer may remain elusive and we may never fully understand the complexity of the universe and the potential existence of other intelligent beings.